The Student Room Group

A level distance learning recommendations

Has anyone here obtained a Grade A or A* A-level Maths via distance learning? If so, please say which college you used? Any comments as to quality of tuition would be appreciated.
Original post by Oldie
Has anyone here obtained a Grade A or A* A-level Maths via distance learning? If so, please say which college you used? Any comments as to quality of tuition would be appreciated.

I taught myself for AS Level (did A2 in college), mainly using textbooks as opposed to distance learning. There are many good A Level maths textbooks - such as these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0582842409/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(or the appropriate version for the exam board you're using). Writing notes and doing all the end of chapter questions was enough for me.

I don't recommend some companies such as ICS - they were terrible and a massive waste of money (I did initially try learning maths through them).

There is something called the Nisai virtual academy: http://www.nisai.com/ which teaches some A Levels including mathematics. I think to get funding you need to have a barrier to learning in a typical college - such as a physical disability or something like an anxiety disorder, so that may not apply to you. It was quite good - someone talks to you over the internet and you can see their screen which includes a "whiteboard" so they can do examples etc.
Personally, I watched all the examsolutions videos followed by every single past paper I could find (including solomons) over the course of a few weeks. Anything you don't understand you can just look up online for free, there are literally so many resources there's no need to pay a bunch of money for a course. That said, the textbooks (such as the one linked above) are pretty great - if I'd had more time I'd definitely have picked one up earlier and worked through it over the year.
Reply 3
Many thanks to both of you. Replies much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest