The Student Room Group

The Petrolhead Society

Scroll to see replies

What does anyone think of the S3 (2014), It's quite a nippy car. Recently hired it for prom and I was not disappointed! However, I do prefer JDM cars. But that S3 really blew my expectations though.
Reply 21
Original post by Themini
The newer generation uses LCD bars and the 7 series has always used them 02- onwards. I personally think its a timeless classic and I like it..just like their standard white and black dials. Good old vacuum gauge. Lol each to his own I guess.
Personally as someone who knows a lot about cars and spend hours working on them, trust me..theres nothing wrong with VW. They're the only ones that were named and shamed, all other manufactures use the diesel gate. They don't like VW because they're dominating the market with Skoda, Seat and Audi.

Fair enough, with the 7 series way out of my range I hadn't really considered it, as much as the 1998ish 750 appeals to the wannabe James Bond in me :tongue:
I would consider a Skoda to be fair, just can't find anything that fits the bill, the back seats of a Superb are cavernous!
Original post by dhr90
Didn't Palmer overtake someone? Kimi must have taken a few. Does Button count, he got overtaken loads when his hydraulics failed :tongue:
I don't, never been able to get into it. Want to watch WEC again, but its not worth paying for when I work weekends and miss every race. BTCC is back this weekend, looking forward to that! WRC is always impressive to watch, although I fear the new regulations have too much aero and make them too planted to look wild and on the edge.

The whole emissions thing has put me off them, I know every manufacturer tweaks their tests to make stuff seem more economical, but VW took it to a whole other level.
Have looked at MX5's for about 18 months now, but the bike thing has stopped me.
Mazda 3 just isn't fast from what I've seen, interior is a bit bland as well.
Have gone off the A3, liked them for a while, but something is holding me back now.
If the Guilietta interior was in the Brera I would buy one right now tbh.
Nothing French lol!
Don't like the mk2 focus, so an ST version of that is out, mk3 ST too pricey still sadly, mk3.5 has a much tidier interior that I really like, but its just too expensive.

What about the MPS, it would leave the Type R for dead. There are a few on Autotrader within your price/mileage requirements...
Reply 23
Original post by Economistician
What about the MPS, it would leave the Type R for dead. There are a few on Autotrader within your price/mileage requirements...

Took me ages to work out you meant the Mazda 3. You've now thrown a spanner in the works, thanks! :tongue:
Original post by dhr90
Took me ages to work out you meant the Mazda 3. You've now thrown a spanner in the works, thanks! :tongue:

Haha, no problem. Yeah, i forgot about the new changes to quotes with the 'show more' so the emboldening doesn't really work anymore.
Reply 25
Haha, no problem. Yeah, i forgot about the new changes to quotes with the 'show more' so the emboldening doesn't really work anymore.

Just had a look at them, that is a lot of power!! Nice affordable car too, although maybe not so to run, but that would be forgotten with one twitch of the right foot I bet :biggrin:
Original post by dhr90
Just had a look at them, that is a lot of power!! Nice affordable car too, although maybe not so to run, but that would be forgotten with one twitch of the right foot I bet :biggrin:

Yeah, definitely true with a car like that, got a lot of torque as well. But one thing I just realised is that it doesn't even come close to your mpg guideline. Averages probably around 2-3 MPG less than the Type R, which was already a little low :frown:
Reply 27
Yeah, definitely true with a car like that, got a lot of torque as well. But one thing I just realised is that it doesn't even come close to your mpg guideline. Averages probably around 2-3 MPG less than the Type R, which was already a little low :frown:

The Type R was already pushing it. But I am quite an economical driver, currently average 38-41mpg from a mk1 focus 1.8 petrol, previous owners complained about only getting 30 or even 25.
Original post by dhr90
The Type R was already pushing it. But I am quite an economical driver, currently average 38-41mpg from a mk1 focus 1.8 petrol, previous owners complained about only getting 30 or even 25.

Not bad then. If my quick search is correct, that is claimed to average ~37 mpg so you're beating the figures there. The question is, as you said, would you still be an economical driver in a car like those mentioned? The good thing is, you can't really push the MPS and Type R to the point where their economy suffers too badly, as by then you would be far exceeding the speed limit.
Reply 29
Not bad then. If my quick search is correct, that is claimed to average ~37 mpg so you're beating the figures there. The question is, as you said, would you still be an economical driver in a car like those mentioned? The good thing is, you can't really push the MPS and Type R to the point where their economy suffers too badly, as by then you would be far exceeding the speed limit.

Well my daily commute is probably an average of 40mph, so that helps a long way, and I don't like to speed, but slow cars are annoying, so B-road overtakes may become more common if I have enough power to do them with a Type R...
Original post by dhr90
Well my daily commute is probably an average of 40mph, so that helps a long way, and I don't like to speed, but slow cars are annoying, so B-road overtakes may become more common if I have enough power to do them with a Type R...

Something with good in gear acceleration would be a good option for those sort of needs, if overtaking on country lanes is the main priority for getting something a little nippier than a 1.8 focus. You would need to be accelerating quite quickly when already at speed. So I would probably prioritise that over 0-60 tbh. The civic is fine for that anyways, just drop a gear and rev match, lol.
Something with good in gear acceleration would be a good option for those sort of needs, if overtaking on country lanes is the main priority for getting something a little nippier than a 1.8 focus. You would need to be accelerating quite quickly when already at speed. So I would probably prioritise that over 0-60 tbh. The civic is fine for that anyways, just drop a gear and rev match, lol.

You mean drop a few gears...Its hopeless mid range. All the power is in the top end of the rev range. That's why I hated the mg3 when I took it out on test drive, the 1.5 vti engine is terrible unless you thrash at (peak torque 5000 revs). Day to day driving it feels like a 1.0 pile of crap. Slow as hell. You're better off getting something punchy. Here's an example, in real world conditions (3000 rev shifts and earlier) a bog standard mini one with 90HP will thrash a Cooper with 120hp. Its all about peak torque. One has 140nm at 3000 revs, Cooper has 149nm at 4500 revs. No one redlines their cars unless they own a pile of sht Honda.
Original post by Themini
Am I the only one that thinks new BMWs are ugly af? Apart from the X5 and 5 series. I feel the rest of the range look terrible.

Generally don't find any German cars to be decent looking, VWs are mostly bland and boring, in fact Korean cars and Volvos seem more exciting.

Original post by Themini
No they made the leather standard, previously it was an option (an expensive one at that) so all the bog standard 2.0 diesel cars come with the crappy cheap leather. The 3.0 diesels have the nice premium leather we're used to.

Don't they have the SensaTec seats in UK any longer? Never been keen on BMW interiors.

Original post by dhr90

So far I've considered
Civic Type R FN2 (so much for the mpg requirements :tongue:)
Civic EX (lots of toys, but not that keen on the interior)
mk3 ford focus titanium x (I like the toys), one nearby for £8k in a 1.6ecoboost engine.
Fiesta is too small for me and common as muck
Alfa Romeo Guilietta (looks good, seems to be fast and economical enough, but alfa reputation is somewhat offputting, seems to be hit or miss getting a good one? Also looked at the Brera, but the shape of the rear looks too much of a ball ache to lift a bike into the back.
Don't trust VW so the Golf is out.
Like the E60 3 series, but they're a bit pricey and parts likely more expensive than the rest.
Volvo c30 maybe a touch small, old v40/50/60/s40 all a bit old now but i like the styling, new models out of budget and seem to all be diesels anyway.

Daily commute consists of ~2miles at 30mpg and 3-4 miles of 40/50mph. Also do 150+ mile trips to visit family, friends 3-5 times a year so a decent level of comfort, refinement and quietness (The Type R doesn't really meet those I know, but its just lovely).

Any thoughts? Anything I've missed? Asking for a lot I know, but petrol heads are the people to ask!

Since your daily commute is so short, you're better off with a petrol model. The Volvo V50 isn't a bad option especially if you could find one with the T5 engine. Essentially the same engine that goes into a Ford Focus RS, many are automatics though.

The Alfa isn't a bad car, that generation of Alfas are fairly reliable and no longer give any headaches. Unfortunately like all recent model Alfas it has lost its soul to be a fairly run of the mill hatchback, nothing exciting about them beyond its styling. Don't really care that much for its powerplant either and space can be right in it too. Plus you might just get upset if one of your bikes soils the interior :smile:

Personally for pure enthusiastic driving I'd go for a Renault Megane RS265
Original post by Themini
You mean drop a few gears...Its hopeless mid range. All the power is in the top end of the rev range. That's why I hated the mg3 when I took it out on test drive, the 1.5 vti engine is terrible unless you thrash at (peak torque 5000 revs). Day to day driving it feels like a 1.0 pile of crap. Slow as hell. You're better off getting something punchy. Here's an example, in real world conditions (3000 rev shifts and earlier) a bog standard mini one with 90HP will thrash a Cooper with 120hp. Its all about peak torque. One has 140nm at 3000 revs, Cooper has 149nm at 4500 revs. No one redlines their cars unless they own a pile of sht Honda.

Yeah, your right. Especially with the Hondas and their Vtec engines, with all the power being at the top of the rev range.
Yeah, your right. Especially with the Hondas and their Vtec engines, with all the power being at the top of the rev range.

Its a joke tbh. You get maybe 150-250 or 200-400 revs of power (depending on engine)..then nothing if you're not brave enough to make the engine scream into the redline = bad for engine, gearbox, everything basically - you need to replace oils and lubricants more often, just £ £ £. Not to mention you end up using just as much petrol as a V8 when you want to feel the Vtec goodness..but you don't get the same power as a V8. A normal 1.6 engine power during normal driving except you don't get torque low down at all so it feels like a 1.0 or 1.2. The Vtec system only adds 40HP. Its nothing special. TBH Hondas are sht, yes they can be fun but they just are and every Honda driver I know thinks they're the bees knees. You're better off getting something with a bigger engine or something that is small displacement but turbo charged.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-ved
What does anyone think of the S3 (2014), It's quite a nippy car. Recently hired it for prom and I was not disappointed! However, I do prefer JDM cars. But that S3 really blew my expectations though.

It looks rather good tbh!
Never been in one or driven one but it does look and sound spectacular!

JDM is the best!
Original post by FireFreezer77
It looks rather good tbh!
Never been in one or driven one but it does look and sound spectacular!

JDM is the best!

It is spectacular! In terms of JDM, I agree! I love the Nismo 400R.
Original post by dhr90
I'm sure I remember someone on new tyres going round the outside of someone else, maybe at the last corner?
I think they should bring back refuelling in F1, yes its more costly and yes its added danger, but if it livens up the show, and WEC has so few fires these days, if F1 copied its fuel then tyres approach in the pits, no-one would drive off with the rig still attached. They can't attack because they have to save fuel and the fuel hurts the tyres, then they have no tyres left when the fuel is burnt off. Mind you the Mercedes advantage is just a little silly too.
I read up and then watched the last few laps, definitely heartbreaking! Going to le mans is on my motorsport bucket list!
Nice, I've been a couple of times, some good spots to watch from, just a royal pain to leave at the end of the day. I'll be at Brands Hatch for it in October. I support Neal/Shedden, would like to see Tom Ingram in the 3rd Honda if they run it again, he would go well and work with them well I think. How about yourself?
At least we have coverage though! I miss the days of Subaru, Mitsibishi etc :frown:

Agreed, the MX5 has zero practicality, but would be a great second car one day.
The sport model is like finding rocking horse poo, so few about! The previous gen Mazda 3 looked far better I thought too.
Everyone I know who has had a french car has had nothing but problems with it.
The cars I like are all out of budget really, I'll likely compromise and get another Focus or Civic Type R.

Hmm I don't remember that tbh but ah well!
Yes same here! It would liven it up a treat!
Haha speaking of WEC fires, there was a fuel fire during one of the pit stops in the most recent round. But yeah you're right, they're uncommon tbh.
I think you've just solved F1!! That is the answer!
It's boring with Mercedes winning all the time. I want some variety!
Lemans was just hard to watch at the end! It was so hard to watch Toyota come to a halt with 1 lap to go! Heartbreaking it was indeed! But a great race overall! It was on mine but I went last year! :biggrin: it was the best thing ever! Esp at night!
The BTCC has great variety! There's been like 11 different winners this year or so, if I'm correct there?

Leaving isn't that bad actually. We've never been held up before. Whereabout do you park?
Brilliant! What's it like there? It looks pretty damn good from what I've seen!
Hmm all 3 are great drivers so good choices!
I'm a Plato fan, but support Jordan and Austin too!
I love the new Subaru outfit! I'm so glad they're at the front now!

True, very true! Yeah me too! Those were the days!

Unfortunately it doesn't but it looks so damn cool!
Hmm fair enough then, oh yeah I agree there! The prev gen was way better looking!
Ah right that's fair enough then. I've got nothing against them so yeah.
It's annoying when that happens tbh! Hey there's nothing wrong with a Type-R!
Original post by J-ved
It is spectacular! In terms of JDM, I agree! I love the Nismo 400R.

It sure looks it!
Brilliant!
Hmm that's an excellent car! Very good indeed!
I'm an RX7 fan tbh!
Original post by FireFreezer77
It sure looks it!
Brilliant!
Hmm that's an excellent car! Very good indeed!
I'm an RX7 fan tbh!

FB, FC or FD?I also like the S2000. Underrated car that has great potential. Already holding around 240HP? Also considering that it's smaller than the average cars, it's performance must be staggering!

Quick Reply

Latest