The Student Room Group

brain fog

does any one no the treatments brain fog i have tried lots of thing i eat healthy
have a low sugar diet low carb diet

does any one no any other options
Original post by john1332123
does any one no the treatments brain fog i have tried lots of thing i eat healthy

Do you have a condition that causes it? If so, asking your GP about any further treatment may help. If not, have you been to your doctor about this? If it's a long term thing (>6 months), then there could be a medical cause they can help you with. For me, I find that staying very well hydrated helps a little. I always have a drink nearby. The best thing though, in my experience, is taking short and regular rest breaks. If I push through and try to get through whatever I'm doing, I can't. I just hit a wall. I need to take regular breaks where I can just stop thinking and working before I get back to it.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Do you have a condition that causes it? If so, asking your GP about any further treatment may help. If not, have you been to your doctor about this? If it's a long term thing (>6 months), then there could be a medical cause they can help you with. For me, I find that staying very well hydrated helps a little. I always have a drink nearby. The best thing though, in my experience, is taking short and regular rest breaks. If I push through and try to get through whatever I'm doing, I can't. I just hit a wall. I need to take regular breaks where I can just stop thinking and working before I get back to it.

thanks for your reply

yes i have had it for ever a year and have been to my doctor and he said well there is nothing phonically wrong with you so there is nothing i can do that what he said

so i dosent look like he is going to be helping me
thanks for your reply

yes i have had it for ever a year and have been to my doctor and he said well there is nothing phonically wrong with you so there is nothing i can do that what he said

so i dosent look like he is going to be helping me

If it's really affecting you day to day, see another doctor. I've been diagnosed with CFS/ME and fibromyalgia, and this unfortunately comes with it. Just because they can't see your difficulties, it doesn't mean they aren't there and it doesn't mean they're not causing you trouble. Sometimes some doctors just don't understand, or don't believe in that kind of thing. You just have to keep your chin up and try again, unfortunately.

Have you had your thyroid checked? thats one of the main causes of brain fog
I've had brain fog/presumed CFS for a number of years now. Had the same experience as you - bloodwork clean, after that the NHS did not want to know. Some notes from my experience which may help:

1) Do push for further testing! See different GPs etc until you are sure they will not help you any longer/feel there is not cause for concern. As much as I love the NHS, it unfortunately does come to this a lot. I had to see 7 different GPs to get a vaguely correct Dx on my elbow pain, let alone a symptom such as brain fog. Also as above, try and get a thyroid test, especially if you are having other symptoms. My thyroid is borderline low. I do wonder if that is related.

2) There seems to be a psychological component in that brain fog (and also CFS) can be kind of self-amplifying the more you worry about it. If I force myself to read books, do revision etc, the fog is nowhere near as bad as if I'm doing nothing (or back when I was worrying about it). Same with CFS, if I get out and go to the gym, I am less exhausted than if I just lay in bed all day being tired. Friends with similar condition have had a similar experience.

3) As others have said, there can be a number of different causes. Depression and anxiety seem to be a common factor too, and those things certainly aggrevated it for me.

edit~4) It has improved, over time, for me. So there is hope.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spleenharvester
I've had brain fog/presumed CFS for a number of years now. Had the same experience as you - bloodwork clean, after that the NHS did not want to know. Some notes from my experience which may help:

1) Do push for further testing! See different GPs etc until you are sure they will not help you any longer/feel there is not cause for concern. As much as I love the NHS, it unfortunately does come to this a lot. I had to see 7 different GPs to get a vaguely correct Dx on my elbow pain, let alone a symptom such as brain fog. Also as above, try and get a thyroid test, especially if you are having other symptoms. My thyroid is borderline low. I do wonder if that is related.

2) There seems to be a psychological component in that brain fog (and also CFS) can be kind of self-amplifying the more you worry about it. If I force myself to read books, do revision etc, the fog is nowhere near as bad as if I'm doing nothing (or back when I was worrying about it). Same with CFS, if I get out and go to the gym, I am less exhausted than if I just lay in bed all day being tired. Friends with similar condition have had a similar experience.

3) As others have said, there can be a number of different causes. Depression and anxiety seem to be a common factor too, and those things certainly aggrevated it for me.

edit~4) It has improved, over time, for me. So there is hope.

Hi thanks for your detailed reply
Original post by lolakirk
Have you had your thyroid checked? thats one of the main causes of brain fog

the doctor said they checked my hormones
the doctor said they checked my hormones

Thats very vague, ask whether they checked your thyroid levels, did you get a report or anything?

Quick Reply

Latest