Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Have I got a 2:i or a First?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

So I have just received my grades and among them are two firsts (75%) and two high 2:i (66%) in two modules which are regarded to be among the hardest in the degree that I am currently siting (BA History and Archaeology). These grades
    correspond to modules which are at level 6, thus making them Honours courses in which I have averaged a First this year with 70.5 and which do count towards my final degree classification, as according to my BA Handbook, "all modules at Levels 5 and 6 are weighted, so that a Level 5 module will be worth half as much as a Level 6 module" and that "the classification of honours degrees will be based on te arithmetical mean of all the weighted results for completed modules for your
    Group 2s, Group 3 and dissertation(levels 5 and 6)". However, I also sat another module, but this time one that does not
    actually count towards my overall degree classification but which did manage to bring down my overall average for year
    from a 70.5% average to 69%. My inquiry is the following: even though I got a 69%, or a 2:i, after taking into account all my grades, even the one that doesn't count towards my final degree classification, in the ones that do count I have a 70.5, ergo a First. Bearing in mind all of this, what does this mean? Did I get a first or a high 2:1?

You quote the handbook, but I don't think you've actually understood whath it means. I don't believe the module that doesn't count has lowered your average. You state your handbook says "a Level 5 module will be worth half as much as a Level 6 module". You have 2 Level 5 modules at 75%, and 2 Level 6 modules at 66%. Therefore, this means your weighted average is 69% [=(0.5*75 + 0.5*75 + 66 +66)/3]

Whether your university will allow you to get a first at 69% is dependent on your own unis procedures, often if you meet other requirements they'll bump you up. Does your degree only count final year in the classification?

Even if you have got a 2.1, that is still a huge achievement. Very frustrating to be so close to a first and I can understand that after being borderline between merit & distinction on a unit for my Access course (tutor said distinction, external moderator said merit). With you being so close, you might be offered a remark which would be worth doing. I'd be sure if the module that doesn't count towards your degree was included in the averaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by it doesn't count?

It would depend on the rest of your grades, you need to tell us all your grades or at least yearly averages excluding pass/fail and extra credit modules.

I'm a little confused. If the module doesn't count towards your degree classification then why are you including it in your degree average? That doesn't make much sense?

Also, if you do end up with a 69. I feel for you because that's what I've just graduated with :emo:
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.