The Student Room Group

MEng in Software Engineering or MEng in Computer Science?

MEng in Software Engineering or MEng in Computer Science?
Wich course is best in terms of job and salary? And what are the main differences between them?

Thank You
Almost very similar, but if you are more technically minded (programming) then go for S.E., if you are more business minded go for C.S.

In terms of salary, well, pretty much same, if you apply to CS you can very well easily apply to a SE job, the differences are minor most employers dont care
i don't know if would say Cs is more business based. Defiantly more maths and a boarder range of things but not business based.
Reply 3
Original post by migh_and_highty
Almost very similar, but if you are more technically minded (programming) then go for S.E., if you are more business minded go for C.S.

In terms of salary, well, pretty much same, if you apply to CS you can very well easily apply to a SE job, the differences are minor most employers dont care

That's wrong on so many levels.
Computer Science includes, but is not limited to, software engineering. If you just want to get into program and app development, plunge into SE, if you're more interested in the basis of computing and the bigger picture, including security and networking and so on, go for computer science.

As for employers, it depends on the job. A CS is better for a security analyst job, an SE is better for an app development job (not always).
Reply 4
Depends on your interests and the uni the course is offered. TYpically Software engineering is seen as an engineering course, more workload than computer science BUT more narrow.
From a few conversations:

I've heard from a couple of reputable sources that there's not much difference in employment prospects between those graduating with Bsc or Msc. Consider a 3 year course.

As for your original question, it depends on the university. Traditionally, Software engineering is more focused on producing working products and design whilst CS is more theoretical/mathsy.

That said, you're likely to find a software engineering degree from a top uni rammed full of maths anyway :smile:

Final point...I believe CS graduates with masters degrees graduate with a MSc rather than a Meng.

Best of luck in your decision!

SS
Original post by oShahpo
That's wrong on so many levels.
Computer Science includes, but is not limited to, software engineering. If you just want to get into program and app development, plunge into SE, if you're more interested in the basis of computing and the bigger picture, including security and networking and so on, go for computer science.

As for employers, it depends on the job. A CS is better for a security analyst job, an SE is better for an app development job (not always).

Maybe broader would have been a better term, but from my experience the very minute differences between specific courses at same universities is that computer science generally has one or two more (sometimes optional) business/management/project management modules
Reply 7
I am gonna attend them at The University of Manchester btw. Is it a good university for this course?
Manchester is alright but when I was looking at modules the best universities that appeared to me where University of Nottingham, university of Edinburgh, university of Loughborough and university of Brighton and Portsmouth. I didn't much like University of Manchester modules and that. The uni itself is awesome but you need to look at modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
After MEng in Computer Science or MEng in Software Engineering will I be an Engineer?
Original post by aansweer
After MEng in Computer Science or MEng in Software Engineering will I be an Engineer?

You should have just done computer engineering from the beginning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What course do you think is more prestigious between S.E. and C.S.?
Original post by aansweer
What course do you think is more prestigious between S.E. and C.S.?

no such thing since they both borrow from each other in terms of modules, but software engineering is more specific leading to app/web or program development, where as Computer science is much more broad. besides a handful of jobs they can almost do the same roles. However Cs is much more popular.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by sketchymofo2
no such thing since they both borrow from each other in terms of modules, but software engineering is more specific leading to app/web or program development, where as Computer science is much more broad. besides a handful of jobs they can almost do the same roles. However Cs is much more popular.

So do you suggest me to study Computer Science?
I want to go and study electrics and computer engineering. After computer science you have masters degree not master engineer degree like for the engineering courses
Original post by KamDavies
I want to go and study electrics and computer engineering. After computer science you have masters degree not master engineer degree like for the engineering courses

Plenty of Computer Science MEng degrees out there.

Anyone can call themselves an engineer, you don't need an engineering degree.

I suggest OP does some more research rather than asking us what he should study.
Reply 16

But on the Uni's web site it is written 4 years of MEng in Computer Science, what does it means (I am an European student that is gonna study in England from September, so I am not well informed).
Sorry my mistake then. I thought you can only do Meng from engineering degrees but I must guessing I'm wrong then. As far as it says Meng that will give you Master Engineer title
Sorry my mistake then. I thought you can only do Meng from engineering degrees but I must guessing I'm wrong then. As far as it says Meng that will give you Master Engineer title

*Master of Engineering*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending