The Student Room Group

I am starting to feel like a conman - mitigating circumstances

Close the thread
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You did well in the exam despite your mental health problems, with only a silly mistake prevented you from achieving a 2:1. This is not something you can claim mitigating circumstances for. Not being able to see the clock because you couldn't find your glasses is also not something you can claim mitigating circumstances for. You learn from this and next time read the instructions and questions carefully.
to be honest, getting overwhelmed in exams is not something you can claim extenuating circumstances for, neither is forgetting your glasses or misreading the weighting of questions... I know you're suffering from anxiety generally but you've been discharged from services so your therapist can't verify your current state of mind and it's very hard for a doctor to verify something after the fact, you should really go see them before the exam

I doubt you will get anywhere with your claim to be honest, I wouldn't feel this is a reflection on the universities attitude towards mental health as it's really just a lack of evidence on your part combined with reasoning which isn't really cause for IP
damnnnnnn.....
I hate to be a *****, but it's people like you who give the rest of us with anxiety a bad name. Forgetting your glasses and failing to read the exam details are not grounds for mitigating circumstances because they are both your own fault. If you knew you were struggling so badly in the run up to exams, you should've applied for mitigating circumstances PRIOR to the exam. This just makes it sound like you want your grade bumped up because you aren't happy with it. Most universities won't inflate your grade with mitigating circumstances anyway, they will use it to allow you a resit and count it as your first sitting if you fail first time round, but if you pass they are just ignored.

Quick Reply

Latest