The Student Room Group

what subjects will help me get into medicine?

ive just finished doing my GCSE's and ive been thinking about what a-levels i want to do starting September. i am definitely doing biology chemistry and french but I'm not sure if i should either do maths or economics. i am really interested in economics but i don't really enjoy maths, however i don't want picking economics to mean that i am put at a disadvantage against other candidates as i know medicine is a very competitive field. can i have some advice please on what to do? thanks!
Whichever you will get an A in.
Reply 2
Original post by serenity_137
ive just finished doing my GCSE's and ive been thinking about what a-levels i want to do starting September. i am definitely doing biology chemistry and french but I'm not sure if i should either do maths or economics. i am really interested in economics but i don't really enjoy maths, however i don't want picking economics to mean that i am put at a disadvantage against other candidates as i know medicine is a very competitive field. can i have some advice please on what to do? thanks!

Hi,

It honesty doesn't matter which subject (Maths or Economics) you choose for a level. I would personally go for the subject that you feel you will perform the strongest in. You will not be put at a disadvantage for picking economics unless the medical school specifically states that they will favor applicants offering the sciences.

Obviously a levels are important but they only form part of the overall application. The personal statement and UKCAT/BMAT are just as important. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!
As above pick the one you will get an A in. I think Cambridge may want 3 sciences ( don't quote me on this) and I believe one of their colleges requires maths, but apart from that you will be at no disadvantage.

I have just completed my first year at medical school, and part of our course required us to have basic maths skills, but this was more involving drug calculations and statistics. Trust me when I say you need no more than a GCSE level understanding of maths to be able to competently complete the maths required in medicine.

My best advice is pick the subject you enjoy the most and are more likely to get that A grade in, because it would be useless you picking maths to try and "further" yourself for medicine, then not enjoying it and getting a B in it, meaning you would miss the entry requirements for medicine.

You are at absolutly no advantage if you take maths, so choose what you would like.

Hi serenity_137

You have made great choices by deciding to take Chemistry and Biology at A-level. Although Chemistry is the only essential subject for studying medicine, Biology is strongly recommended.

With regards to your other subjects, it really is up to you and really comes down to what you enjoy. If you don't really enjoy Maths, then there is really little point in studying at A-level. If you are really interested in Economics then that is really your decision made as you are far more likely to do well in a subject you are interested in and enjoy.

You might be interested in reading this blog post as it is about this exact subject.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest