The Student Room Group

Indecisive healthcare student

I really need any advice, I am stresssssinggg.

A few years ago I left my Pharmacy course for Nursing and recently I've felt like I have been regretting this decision. I took this decision as at the time I wanted to be more clinical, to be more involved with patient care, have more patient interaction and look at the medical side of things, with the possibility of it leading to a nurse practitioner (and prescribing).My main interest lies within anatomy and physiology as well as looking at drugs, I am so interested in medicines and the pharmacology linked to them, I love learning about pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. It's safe to say since starting nursing I have done none of that and I am majorly unhappy with the lack of academic work, (although I would like to do a MSc in something more clinical or even attempt to transfer to medicine) so I have been thinking have I made a big mistake? I am very indecisive HELPPPP (all advice appreciated)I have often thought maybe swapping courses to Paramedic as I enjoy emergency care, but I am in second year of nursing. I think that a reason I have been more confused lately is because I didn't enjoy my main placement. I think nursing has a lot of great options and a varieties of specialities, however, I HATED working on the wards, other places I've been seem to interest me, district nursing, A&E, doctors surgeries, walk in centres and other urgent care departments. I have even been out with paramedics and loved it, just the thought of having to work on a ward makes me want to quit and leave and never look back. I also hear lots of other student nurses saying how much they love it but I just don't feel this way, not when I'm doing ward work anyway.

SORRY FOR THIS ESSAY i just require a lot of advice as my brain is scrambled please help. THANK YOU!!:o: :redface:
Reply 1
What year of nursing are you in?

It does sound like you jumped into nursing without considering the other possibilities in the allied health professions. A lot of people tend to think in terms of the triad of nursing, pharmacology and medicine and not much beyond. It may be that another one of those would be more suitable. However, I do think it's important that you don't jump into something else without thinking things through.

You've got two options as far as I can see. Finish what you started and plan from there or terminate what you started and take some time to consider something new.

I know someone on my SLT course who exited her pharmacy course after three years and she had similar reasons to you. However, she actually approached her department for advice on her exit route and used her position in a clinical environment to try out a few different things. The university gave her a lot of help.

I think that's something you need to talk to your academic advisor about. Don't think this is something you have to conceal from the department. They want to find the best outcome for you as well. Just start with letting them know that you're concerned that you're unhappy with things at the moment. Remember, being unhappy at any given moment is something that's very common in healthcare students. They have a lot of experience in helping people work through periods of difficulty. Start there.
Reply 2
Original post by giella
What year of nursing are you in?

It does sound like you jumped into nursing without considering the other possibilities in the allied health professions. A lot of people tend to think in terms of the triad of nursing, pharmacology and medicine and not much beyond. It may be that another one of those would be more suitable. However, I do think it's important that you don't jump into something else without thinking things through.

You've got two options as far as I can see. Finish what you started and plan from there or terminate what you started and take some time to consider something new.

I know someone on my SLT course who exited her pharmacy course after three years and she had similar reasons to you. However, she actually approached her department for advice on her exit route and used her position in a clinical environment to try out a few different things. The university gave her a lot of help.

I think that's something you need to talk to your academic advisor about. Don't think this is something you have to conceal from the department. They want to find the best outcome for you as well. Just start with letting them know that you're concerned that you're unhappy with things at the moment. Remember, being unhappy at any given moment is something that's very common in healthcare students. They have a lot of experience in helping people work through periods of difficulty. Start there.

Hi, thanks for your reply :smile: I am in second year, and I agree, I did do a biopharmaceutical year which I really enjoyed but when I got onto pharmacy, at the time, I didn't think it was for me but now I'm unsure if I am regretting the choice I made. Nursing runs in my family so it just seemed to jump out at me but now I'm on the course I feel as though I've almost lost knowledge, which I don't mean in a horrible way, just I was quite good at chemistry, alright at mathematics and really quite good at anatomy and physiology. At the moment I've hardly learned any science, so feel as though I'm losing the knack of it which I don't want to, but was hoping that a MSc in the future may bring this. I do think I need to speak to an academic advisor to see which sort of path is right for me, but often lecturers at my uni aren't very motivational, so I'm hoping they won't put me off anything. That sounds really helpful what the university did to help the girl who left pharmacy, I'll try getting some academic help, but thank you for your advice, much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest