The Student Room Group

Going into Law from a non-Law Undergraduate Degree.

I'm currently going onto the third year of an Engineering Degree at the University of Manchester and am looking to go into Law after I graduate. I have no experience in Law, but do have internships at some financial institutions as well as having held down a part time bar job throughout university. I am interested in either starting a GDL in September 2017 or going straight into a Law practise.

I was hoping for some general information from people who had made a transition from a non Law degree into Law. Is it possible to get into Law firms without a law degree who will then sponsor you for your GDL? Or will I have to get onto a GDL programme before Law firms would consider me?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Original post by PaxSoprana
I'm currently going onto the third year of an Engineering Degree at the University of Manchester and am looking to go into Law after I graduate. I have no experience in Law, but do have internships at some financial institutions as well as having held down a part time bar job throughout university. I am interested in either starting a GDL in September 2017 or going straight into a Law practise.

I was hoping for some general information from people who had made a transition from a non Law degree into Law. Is it possible to get into Law firms without a law degree who will then sponsor you for your GDL? Or will I have to get onto a GDL programme before Law firms would consider me?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Yes it's common knowledge that you don't need to do a law degree to get into law, firms usually recruit a 50:50 split of law to non-law grads as trainees.

Almost all of the large to mid size firms will sponsor everyone through both the gdl and lpc. Your issue atm is lack of experience, lack of contacts and lack of exposure. I would build on all of those areas if you want to have a realistic chance at this. Don't just jump into the GDL when you have an avenue to get it sponsored.

Apply to winter vac schemes when they open and try to convert that way, if that's not successful apply to TCs afterwards.

BEFORE you apply however. Please reach out to people who were successful from your uni in prior years and people who are working at your target firms via linkedin to get tips and tricks for the process. Also make sure you get your CV thoroughly looked at by said people before submitting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I've gone down the law route so I can't tell you much about what the expect etc but I do agree with the above poster, you should definitely get some legal work experience before making any major decisions, especially if you're considering self funding.

Vac schemes are a fantastic way to do this, but you can also just send your CV and a covering letter to firms. Manchester is a fantastic place to be for this. I'm from Manchester and found lots of firms willing to take students on for a few days work experience. I would also recommend emailing Deanscourt Chambers about their mini pupillage day. I'm guessing you're wanting to take the solicitor route, but I did this last year and it was a fantastic experience and also a great way of meeting other students and professionals to get some informal advice.

Good luck in your final year and pursuing law :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Hann95
I've gone down the law route so I can't tell you much about what the expect etc but I do agree with the above poster, you should definitely get some legal work experience before making any major decisions, especially if you're considering self funding.

Vac schemes are a fantastic way to do this, but you can also just send your CV and a covering letter to firms. Manchester is a fantastic place to be for this. I'm from Manchester and found lots of firms willing to take students on for a few days work experience. I would also recommend emailing Deanscourt Chambers about their mini pupillage day. I'm guessing you're wanting to take the solicitor route, but I did this last year and it was a fantastic experience and also a great way of meeting other students and professionals to get some informal advice.

Good luck in your final year and pursuing law :smile:

Thank you both for your excellent advice.

I was aware judging by my current profile that I would be unlikely to be successful if I were to apply directly to TC's. I intend to apply to as many Vacation Schemes as possible when they open. But in the mean time I feel like I should be getting whatever experience possible under my belt like you suggested. How did you go about applying to firms in and around Manchester?
I've collated a list of all the firms in and around the centre, particularly small to medium sized ones who hopefully would be more likely to take me on for a week or so. Is it just a case of personally contacting as many as possible in the hope of getting some experience?
Reply 4
Original post by PaxSoprana
Thank you both for your excellent advice.

I was aware judging by my current profile that I would be unlikely to be successful if I were to apply directly to TC's. I intend to apply to as many Vacation Schemes as possible when they open. But in the mean time I feel like I should be getting whatever experience possible under my belt like you suggested. How did you go about applying to firms in and around Manchester?
I've collated a list of all the firms in and around the centre, particularly small to medium sized ones who hopefully would be more likely to take me on for a week or so. Is it just a case of personally contacting as many as possible in the hope of getting some experience?

Send them your CV with a covering letter. Use the covering letter to explain a bit about yourself, your interest in law, what areas you're interested in etc. Some will reject you, some won't even reply but all you need is a couple to say yes to really get the ball rolling.

Also have a look at citizens advice bureau and other means of volunteering, that would really help to enhance your CV for vac scheme applications.

If you have any part time employment that can help too. Don't under estimate it's value, it can demonstrate skills and key competencies firms are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending