The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pandasandpens
Hey Guyss :biggrin:I couldn't find a thread for this so I thought I would make one so we can startdiscussing things like stats, ukcat etc. :colondollar:

Hey there, are you applying from Scotland or from England?
Original post by Little_Sh*t
Hey there, are you applying from Scotland or from England?

England. What about you??
Original post by pandasandpens
England. What about you??

Scotland
Reply 4
Hey, I'm thinking about applying (i'm scottish) but my UKCAT score was pretty average/low, what's a good UKCAT score for Edinburgh? What did you lot get?
Original post by RMack029
Hey, I'm thinking about applying (i'm scottish) but my UKCAT score was pretty average/low, what's a good UKCAT score for Edinburgh? What did you lot get?

Hey there, Edinburgh judges 35% of your application based on the UKCAT. 20% accounts for your score in VR,AR and QR, while the situational judgement part makes 15% of your application. Edinburgh puts its applicants into octiles and then gives you points, and those with the top points get an offer. For Edinburgh you can find the file with the UKCAT statistics over here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015_0.pdf

Also don't judge your score based on TSR only, you might think you have a horrible score when it might actually be average or higher.
As for me I haven't taken the UKCAT yet, so I can't give you my score lol.
i got bad gcse's, will i still be considered ? 1a* 4a 4b
Original post by money-for-all
i got bad gcse's, will i still be considered ? 1a* 4a 4b

"A Levels: AAA in Upper Sixth including Chemistry, plus Grade B at AS level in a fourth subject. A Levels must include Chemistry and one of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. Biology at AS Level required as minimum. For both AS and A Level, only one of Mathematics or Further Mathematics will be considered. Human Biology may replace Biology but General Studies will not be considered. GCSEs: Grade B in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics. Double Award combined sciences or equivalent at Grade BB may replace GCSE grades in sciences. Additional Applied Science and Applied Science will not be accepted. All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject. Those applying with resit qualifications (other than two GCE AS Level modules) will not be entered into the selection system unless under very exceptional circumstances (for which verified evidence has been provided prior to UCAS application). "
This is straight from the website so I think you meet the minimum entry requirements. However keep in mind that Edinburgh cares a LOT about your academic results, and grade 50% of your application solely based on your results + predicted grades, so you might be at an disadvantage to other applicants, but you can make up for that with an amazing UKCAT, personal statement and references. Hope this helped.
Alright so I'm not necessarily applying, but Edinburgh is a strong option. I know it's impossible for you to know who will get an offer but I'd really really really appreciate it if someone who knows a bit more about the scoring system would tell me what they think about my chances! I know Edinburgh is super competitive and I obviously don't want to waste an application :redface:

I got 753 and band 1 in the ukcat. I'm an EU applicant and am doing our national qualifications (I've completed them already actually); they ask for 66655 and I got 777776, and I'm hoping to throw another 7 in there when I'm taking maths in september (also retaking the 6 in biology but they probably won't care). I haven't been able to do any shadowing here in my home country but I've volunteered in a care home twice a month since february and in a hospital twice a week since may.

I don't have loads of extracurriculars. I've done some team sports in the past, and now I jog and recently ran a half marathon to support beating cancer. I've played the piano since I was 3 (solely for fun - never done an exam or performed), and I belonged to a journalistic youth group for a couple of years (too old now for them now:frown:), and I now run a blog where I explain the mechanisms behind illnesses.

Tbh I think that my personal statement is pretty solid with regards to reflection, wider reading and writing style, but as mentioned, the things I've done aren't super impressive. I'm guessing that my reference will be positive but it's not going to blow their socks off as teachers don't really get to know their students here and no universities want references so writing one is going to be new to my referee.

What do you think - worth a shot or not? :h:
Original post by StationToStation
Alright so I'm not necessarily applying, but Edinburgh is a strong option. I know it's impossible for you to know who will get an offer but I'd really really really appreciate it if someone who knows a bit more about the scoring system would tell me what they think about my chances! I know Edinburgh is super competitive and I obviously don't want to waste an application :redface:

I got 753 and band 1 in the ukcat. I'm an EU applicant and am doing our national qualifications (I've completed them already actually); they ask for 66655 and I got 777776, and I'm hoping to throw another 7 in there when I'm taking maths in september (also retaking the 6 in biology but they probably won't care). I haven't been able to do any shadowing here in my home country but I've volunteered in a care home twice a month since february and in a hospital twice a week since may.

I don't have loads of extracurriculars. I've done some team sports in the past, and now I jog and recently ran a half marathon to support beating cancer. I've played the piano since I was 3 (solely for fun - never done an exam or performed), and I belonged to a journalistic youth group for a couple of years (too old now for them now:frown:), and I now run a blog where I explain the mechanisms behind illnesses.

Tbh I think that my personal statement is pretty solid with regards to reflection, wider reading and writing style, but as mentioned, the things I've done aren't super impressive. I'm guessing that my reference will be positive but it's not going to blow their socks off as teachers don't really get to know their students here and no universities want references so writing one is going to be new to my referee.

Hey there, first of all congratulations on your UKCAT scores, they sound really good. Here's a breakdown on Edinburgh's scoring system.

50% Academic (including predicted grades)
15% Personal Statement+ References
20% UKCAT excluding SJT
15% SJT

I don't exactly know what the 5,6, and 7's stand for in your schooling system but I'm assuming they're equivalent to A's and high B's. First of all I suggest you check the min entry requirements for your country on Edinburgh Uni's website and make sure you meet (and preferably exceed them). This is crucial cause a lot of your application is marked on that, but since your UKCAT is really good I suppose you can afford to be bit more lenient.

Regarding Personal Statement, remember that 2 different admissions officers mark it and score it, and personal statements are subjective. Remember that you MUST have a realistic expectation of what a career in medicine means, and although you haven't had to chance to shadow doctors you have volunteered and such so you should reflect heavily on that.
Also for your references my advice is that you shouldn't worry too much about them, worry about only your part of the application.

Here's my advice on whether you should apply to Edinburgh - If you're strong academically then you definitely should. But since you already have a high UKCAT I was wondering why you're not considering UKCAT heavy schools like Aberdeen and Dundee?
Reply 10
Hey there, Edinburgh judges 35% of your application based on the UKCAT. 20% accounts for your score in VR,AR and QR, while the situational judgement part makes 15% of your application. Edinburgh puts its applicants into octiles and then gives you points, and those with the top points get an offer. For Edinburgh you can find the file with the UKCAT statistics over here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015_0.pdf

Also don't judge your score based on TSR only, you might think you have a horrible score when it might actually be average or higher.
As for me I haven't taken the UKCAT yet, so I can't give you my score lol.

Thanks so much for the link, super helpful! Good luck with your test! x
Original post by RMack029
Thanks so much for the link, super helpful! Good luck with your test! x

No problem, and thanks haha x
Hey there, first of all congratulations on your UKCAT scores, they sound really good. Here's a breakdown on Edinburgh's scoring system.

50% Academic (including predicted grades)
15% Personal Statement+ References
20% UKCAT excluding SJT
15% SJT

I don't exactly know what the 5,6, and 7's stand for in your schooling system but I'm assuming they're equivalent to A's and high B's. First of all I suggest you check the min entry requirements for your country on Edinburgh Uni's website and make sure you meet (and preferably exceed them). This is crucial cause a lot of your application is marked on that, but since your UKCAT is really good I suppose you can afford to be bit more lenient.

Regarding Personal Statement, remember that 2 different admissions officers mark it and score it, and personal statements are subjective. Remember that you MUST have a realistic expectation of what a career in medicine means, and although you haven't had to chance to shadow doctors you have volunteered and such so you should reflect heavily on that.
Also for your references my advice is that you shouldn't worry too much about them, worry about only your part of the application.

Here's my advice on whether you should apply to Edinburgh - If you're strong academically then you definitely should. But since you already have a high UKCAT I was wondering why you're not considering UKCAT heavy schools like Aberdeen and Dundee?

Thank you so much for the detailed response! It was really helpful :smile: the academic side shouldn't be an issue: it's roughly like 7=A* and 6=A and, as I said, I have five 7s and a 6 while Edinburgh wants three 6s and two 5s. You're right about the subjectivity of the PS rating though... I am probably applying to both Aberdeen and Dundee but will have to think about whether to give Edinburgh a go or not since it seems in a way so risky haha

Thanks again and best of luck with your application!
Thank you so much for the detailed response! It was really helpful :smile: the academic side shouldn't be an issue: it's roughly like 7=A* and 6=A and, as I said, I have five 7s and a 6 while Edinburgh wants three 6s and two 5s. You're right about the subjectivity of the PS rating though... I am probably applying to both Aberdeen and Dundee but will have to think about whether to give Edinburgh a go or not since it seems in a way so risky haha

Thanks again and best of luck with your application!

No problem, and I hope you make up your mind on the Unis you'll apply to

You can have 50,000 extracurricular activities and still not get in yet have three or four and get in! It's all how you write and present them in your personal statement with Edinburgh if you want to get the best score on your application. So it doesn't matter if it isn't impressive, just as long as you talk about how it will help you as a doctor or what it has done for you. In a summary, I think you'll be fine!! You need to cover in your personal statement what personal qualities you have, extra-curriculars such as Piano, charity shops or things like this and finally work experience. You'll get one mark for each section and since you have to selectors looking at your application, that means there are approximately 6 marks for your personal statement.

Here's a breakdown of the scoring system for British applicants:
10 - 8A*s> GCSE
10 - A*AAa A Levels
08 - Top Octile UKCAT (ranges between 720-730 usually, has been lower before in the past though)
06 - Band 1 SJT (you drop two marks for each band you lose)
06 - Personal Statement (divided evenly between Personal Qualities, Work Experience and Extra-Curriculars) + Edinburgh emphasise on a good reference too for validation purposes.

This gives a total out of 40. Generally, UK students need 38/40 for an offer. A handful get in with 37 but it's pushing it a little as a lot of people get that score. Scottish applicants tend to get in with 35/36ish due to additional weighting.

Does anyone know what the cut-off was for last year to get into the top octile in the UKCAT!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
You can have 50,000 extracurricular activities and still not get in yet have three or four and get in! It's all how you write and present them in your personal statement with Edinburgh if you want to get the best score on your application. So it doesn't matter if it isn't impressive, just as long as you talk about how it will help you as a doctor or what it has done for you. In a summary, I think you'll be fine!! You need to cover in your personal statement what personal qualities you have, extra-curriculars such as Piano, charity shops or things like this and finally work experience. You'll get one mark for each section and since you have to selectors looking at your application, that means there are approximately 6 marks for your personal statement.

Here's a breakdown of the scoring system for British applicants:
10 - 8A*s> GCSE
10 - A*AAa A Levels
08 - Top Octile UKCAT (ranges between 720-730 usually, has been lower before in the past though)
06 - Band 1 SJT (you drop two marks for each band you lose)
06 - Personal Statement (divided evenly between Personal Qualities, Work Experience and Extra-Curriculars) + Edinburgh emphasise on a good reference too for validation purposes.

This gives a total out of 40. Generally, UK students need 38/40 for an offer. A handful get in with 37 but it's pushing it a little as a lot of people get that score. Scottish applicants tend to get in with 35/36ish due to additional weighting.

Does anyone know what the cut-off was for last year to get into the top octile in the UKCAT!

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I feel like I'm now able to make an informed decision, whether I choose to apply or not. The best of luck with your application :h:
Reply 16

I say its worth a shot, your ukcat and band 1 would score you very highly, and since you have the grades its probably only down to ps/and references.
Current 4th year (oh how time flies!) - if anyone has any questions about course and stuff

Don't think of Edinburgh as any more risky than other medical schools. Numbers wise maybe, but if you can write a solid PS then you're pretty much guaranteed an offer with those grades and UKCAT.

Now writing a good PS is easier said than done. The key, like you say is reflection, and not listing impressive achievements or using fancy language. You probably have enough material to reflect on so don't worry about quantity.

Reflection is hard. Most school leavers can't do it for ****. I know for sure I couldn't and I still cringe at my personal statement. It's something you'll learn about and develop at medical school, but you have to try do it well now.

You can look up various reflection models such as Gibbs but really the essence of it is to discuss what you've learnt in terms of how you've learnt and how you feel about it rather than the specific details of what you've actually learnt. And all the time you should draw on pieces of evidence to demonstrate you have the qualities needed to be a good doctor.

For example, you witness a doctor tell a patient bad news and see the doctor is empathetic and stuff. Write about how you think that made a difference for the patient, about why you think it's important etc. Don't just do a generic "he broke bad news empathetically, he did this and that. This highlights why empathy is important to be a good doctor"
Original post by Asklepios
Current 4th year (oh how time flies!) - if anyone has any questions about course and stuff

Don't think of Edinburgh as any more risky than other medical schools. Numbers wise maybe, but if you can write a solid PS then you're pretty much guaranteed an offer with those grades and UKCAT.

Now writing a good PS is easier said than done. The key, like you say is reflection, and not listing impressive achievements or using fancy language. You probably have enough material to reflect on so don't worry about quantity.

Reflection is hard. Most school leavers can't do it for ****. I know for sure I couldn't and I still cringe at my personal statement. It's something you'll learn about and develop at medical school, but you have to try do it well now.

You can look up various reflection models such as Gibbs but really the essence of it is to discuss what you've learnt in terms of how you've learnt and how you feel about it rather than the specific details of what you've actually learnt. And all the time you should draw on pieces of evidence to demonstrate you have the qualities needed to be a good doctor.

For example, you witness a doctor tell a patient bad news and see the doctor is empathetic and stuff. Write about how you think that made a difference for the patient, about why you think it's important etc. Don't just do a generic "he broke bad news empathetically, he did this and that. This highlights why empathy is important to be a good doctor"

Thank you so much for the reply, I can't believe how kind and helpful you all are here on TSR! I actually took a pic of what you said about reflection so that I can get back to it when it isn't 1.35 AM :biggrin:

Have you been happy with the Edinburgh course by the way? And the city as a place to live? How has your time been divided between lectures/PBL/practicals? Do you feel like you've had enough support? How is the social side - do the students do a lot of things together and is it easy to make friends?

Sorry about this flood of questions... And thanks again!
Thank you so much for the reply, I can't believe how kind and helpful you all are here on TSR! I actually took a pic of what you said about reflection so that I can get back to it when it isn't 1.35 AM :biggrin:

Have you been happy with the Edinburgh course by the way? And the city as a place to live? How has your time been divided between lectures/PBL/practicals? Do you feel like you've had enough support? How is the social side - do the students do a lot of things together and is it easy to make friends?

Sorry about this flood of questions... And thanks again!

The city is a great place to live! It's small enough to get round easily, yet big enough for there to be plenty to do. Right now it's the festival so the entire city doubles in population, and gets loads of plays, comedies, drama shows at pretty much any venue!

Course-wise you'll find a big difference between years 1-2, honours year and then years 4-6. Years 1-2 are ~10-12 hours of lectures, 3h PBL, and perhaps 5h practicals or tutorials dependant on the module. So generally 20 contact hours, plus maybe 4-6h of private study.

Socially then, you've get plenty of time to join societies and play sports. There's loads of other events through the year - both medic and with non-medic friends. I wouldn't worry too much about this. You'll make friends at any university! Though perhaps at Edinburgh, it's easier to make non-medic friends as we aren't as segregated in the preclinical years compared to other medical schools.

The honours year is largely dependent on what you study (pick from ~20 options!). I had 10h of lectures/tutorials each week in the first semester and second semester was mainly working on your project. So either in the lab or doing a literature review/search.

Clinical years are a totally different ball game. You'll typically get a lecture week at the start of a module with intense teaching (4-6 hours per day) and that's followed by 4 or so weeks of a placement. You go in and shadow doctors for clinics, ward rounds, bedside teaching, theatre etc. You'll learn how to take a history and examination for a typical patient in that specialty and about the core diseases and their management.

Latest