The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think anything from 710 and below will fall into the second octile onwards.
Original post by Patryk_
i think you slightly misunderstood me, I got 2050 not 1990, however in 2016 the top octalie was 3600-2900, which would be 2700-2000 this year, or even lower considering the lower average, so wouldn't that mean I'm likely to be in the top octalie. Or I'm I just being stupid and overlooking something?

Yes, but you cannot just take 900 off each score, as most people did not score 900 in DA. The best "guess" is probably to take last years octiles, divide by 4 and multiply by 3 as DA has typically been worth about 25% of the score in the UKCAT over the last 2 years, whereas (barring the top possible score), 900 would be a far bigger percentage than this
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, but you cannot just take 900 off each score, as most people did not score 900 in DA. The best "guess" is probably to take last years octiles, divide by 4 and multiply by 3 as DA has typically been worth about 25% of the score in the UKCAT over the last 2 years, whereas (barring the top possible score), 900 would be a far bigger percentage than this

That makes sense.
Reply 163
Hi Everyone,

In the scoring for IGCSEs, do they mark you down for having a B?
I have 8 A*s 1A and 1B (English Language)
What score would I get?
As it states I will get a 2 if I have a 'B in any other subjects' I am very worried.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf pg33
Reply 164
Also I have A level grades of A*A*A*A b. My A Grade was taken 2 years early (in Year 11). Will they consider my A level that was taken early as the 4th subject? Or would they take my b grade at AS level in one of my subjects. What score would I get out of 5
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Patryk_
However each subtest is worth 900, so if you remove DA from 2900, you'd get 2000.

That's not how it would work though. If it was 2000 then the octiles average would be 666, which would mean everyone had done much worse for no apparent reason.
Does anyone know if and when they release the octiles for ukcat for Edinburgh??
Original post by pandasandpens
Does anyone know if and when they release the octiles for ukcat for Edinburgh??

I don't think they ever do until the following year's UKCAT results are released. But with a fallen average this year, the octiles will probably be about the same as last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
What were the octiles last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by esoryma
What were the octiles last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See post #112. It's all in the second document
What does a full-mark personal statement look like? 38/40 assuming 6/6 on PS, and a UK applicant.... So if i get any less than 6/6 then I don't really stand a chance!!
Do I have a chance of getting an interview?

UKCAT: 649
SJT: Band 1
A*AA
strong ps
Original post by ib_hopeful

A*AA
strong ps

Edinburgh only interviews graduates

A*AA
strong ps

Edinburgh don't interview for undergrad medicine - I think.
Original post by Asklepios
Edinburgh only interviews graduates

A place* :colondollar:
Original post by GANFYD
See post #112. It's all in the second document

Thank you!
A place* :colondollar:

You're UKCAT is 'only' average but you should still stand a reasonable chance if you get a good score for your PS

A*AA
strong ps

Depends on your GCSEs, your AS/4th A2 and whether you are a Scottish or RUK applicant (as well as how the rest of the cohort have performed!). Your UKCAT would have fallen in the 4th or 5th octile in the last 2 years, meaning you would lose either 3 or 4 marks here, so it depends on the other criteria they score.

A*AA
strong ps

Well no interviews but reasonable chance of an offer. The band 1 will rank you up and your UKCAT looks above average this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know when Edinburgh start giving out offers?

Latest

Trending

Trending