Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to get over someone I have strong feelings for

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

He was a friend who was also a 'friend with benefits'.. but in the end, I developed strong feelings for him and wanted more. He said he was attracted to me but nothing more. He'd said before that he 'liked' me, several times, so I thought he did..
    He said he didn't want a relationship at that moment as he moving halfway across the world in September.

I haven't seen him for 2 months, and we're supposed to be meeting early September, and then after that, he'll be moving away.

He plans to come back to the town where I am to study, but I don't know if that will be in a year, 2 years or more, even though he says he definitely plans to.

After he left at the very end of May, we carried on speaking on fb almost every day, but I've stopped now, as I knew I had to move on. It's only been one week, but I miss him like crazy.
    he still likes my pictures and stuff, and I'm dying to talk to him.

I'm trying to keep busy etc. but nothing works. I think about him all the time, and i'm dreading him going over there and falling in love; knowing that he never had those feelings for me.

I have had nothing but bad luck with men for the last 3 years, and I thought this guy was the one. It's not that he's even the best-looking; but we have everything in common and I just find him very sweet.

I found him a bit misleading with me ,and I try my best to highlight the bad points about him, but nothing works.

Any advice? I have accepted he doesn't want a relationship..

We get on really well, but for him ,it was just that he fancied me a lot whereas I had deeper feelings, so we weren't on the same wavelength. Part of me thinks that had we both been staying in the same place ,it could have worked.

I'm finding it impossible to forget him; I know being single is not the end of the world, and I wish I could just see him as a friend, but I can't. We spent 6 months talking daily, with few exceptions, and this is the longest we have ever gone without talking. I miss him so much

The problem with these things is that you spend a lot of time regretting what has been. And in hindsight it's wasted angst. It's far better to put that energy in to finding someone who is the same sexual thrill but also a soul mate. And if you go after this instead you'll find it.

Thanks, I'll try my best! Genuinely thought this guy was, we got on excellently as friends; talked for hours every day and had everything in common, plus the attraction was there, I dunno what was missing
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.