The Student Room Group

Another league tables thread...

Does university league tables matter when applying to uni ??
Tbh I don't really look at the league table or think much about it, I'm just applying to any uni that looks good and has good modules for the course I want to study
Reply 2
Please let this be trending so everyone gets confused! :biggrin:

I'm a GCSE student so my advice is probably poor! I don't really think that league tables matter. It's probably more focused on where the uni is, the social and academic side and what uni has a course that you will enjoy.
Reply 3
League tables do have some influence, often teachers choose to teach at a higher ranked uni as it means (normally) higher pay and more intelligent or enthusiastic/devoted students. Of course there are instances where it's irrelevant: I have a friend who had potential to go to Cambridge but went with UCL instead as they offered a more interesting history spec. But normally the higher in a league table it is the better it is.
There is also reputation. If you say I got a 1st from Cambridge in a job interview, you are more likely to get a job than someone who got a 1st from a uni that rarely makes the boards then you get preference over them.
Another thing to consider is that the lower down the league tables, commonly the lower the required entry grades are, so the people you meet are normally less interested in the course or more interested in the night life and partying than their education.
So really go for the highest ranking uni you can get into, but make sure they offer the course you want. There's no point studying at the best Uni in the world if you find it boring as. So always check the course is what you want to study again in the case of my friend they study 'boring' periods of history at Cambridge e.g. classic civilisation. Whereas he wanted to study modern history and conflict e.g. WW2 and Cold war tensions.
But also go for somewhere you think you will enjoy.
Good luck. :smile:
Original post by BobSausage
League tables do have some influence, often teachers choose to teach at a higher ranked uni as it means (normally) higher pay and more intelligent or enthusiastic/devoted students. Of course there are instances where it's irrelevant: I have a friend who had potential to go to Cambridge but went with UCL instead as they offered a more interesting history spec. But normally the higher in a league table it is the better it is.
There is also reputation. If you say I got a 1st from Cambridge in a job interview, you are more likely to get a job than someone who got a 1st from a uni that rarely makes the boards then you get preference over them.
Another thing to consider is that the lower down the league tables, commonly the lower the required entry grades are, so the people you meet are normally less interested in the course or more interested in the night life and partying than their education.
So really go for the highest ranking uni you can get into, but make sure they offer the course you want. There's no point studying at the best Uni in the world if you find it boring as. So always check the course is what you want to study again in the case of my friend they study 'boring' periods of history at Cambridge e.g. classic civilisation. Whereas he wanted to study modern history and conflict e.g. WW2 and Cold war tensions.
But also go for somewhere you think you will enjoy.
Good luck. :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I do know that if you were going to study a degree in maths , computer science , medicine, it can matter but for courses like english, art , journalism , media does league table matter ?
it depends on what you do after university. some industries are snobby about which university you got your degree from (law, ib, consulting) whilst others don't care (e.g. it/software, design)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending