The Student Room Group

Is it bad to go to a non-Russell Group uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladbants
Cut arias science isn't really science, it's more maths and finance related.

Haha rip me. And this is why I'm not going to uni to study either. Thanks for correcting me though, my bad.
In actuarial science you will find some employers to be slightly elitist and biased in your initial applications. You may find it slightly more difficult than others to secure your first post or graduate opportunity. There are many things you can do over the next 3 years to ensure that this effect is basically negligible: work experience, extra courses/curriculars or passing some of the actuarial exams before graduating. You'll also find many employers are now using blind applications (so degree name is blanked out to recruiters) or competency based application processes (so they set their own tests and use them rather than academic background).

For anyone of substance, the above effect is to be such that I would not worry about where you study. Once you have a graduate job, your degree name won't mean anything. Your experience, exam passes and talent will be far more important.
Original post by monkyvirus
Well I went to St Andrews (a non-RG) and I'm starting a PhD at Cardiff (a RG). St Andrews entrance requirements for a PhD were actually higher, which is why I didn't stay! For my undergraduate degree the requirements were the same.

The RG, like the Ivy League, is a convenient shorthand for "good" universities but the actual criteria to belong in these groups isn't good teaching, student satisfaction, etc. so it doesn't tell you whether they're good for undergraduate students.

No one cares about your undergraduate uni once you've graduated, not even for PhD studies. They care about you: how you performed, how you seem in interview, etc.

I completely agree. Now days, for PHD applications or employers. Experience and you as a person are more important than where you did your degree.
Reply 23
I went to my uni as I had to stay at my parents - non-russell group and people who graduated with me are going on to work at elite firms/companies/study elsewhere etc. It makes no difference, as long as your uni has a good reputation it is fine.
Reply 24
I love ur comment .. thanks for reassuring me. I am predicted A*A*A A* in biology and maths and A in chemistry... but I want to go to bradford to study chemical engineering... it's ranked 4th after imperial . It is known to be good job prospects and high student satisfaction. .. good teaching as well. I knw a couple of people that have a degret from bradford and work for big firms. So please dnt be fooled. I applied for university of newcastle, Birmingham,notthingham and hull.
I found out that the ruse groups didn't give as much sup port in class as well as placement. Please check out the complete university guide.
Reply 25
I got a 1st from Non-Russel group (it is however an ancient university so not sure if that affects the reputation???) and have a graduate placement at a top firm in Edinburgh :smile:
Original post by Mandem67
Basically I'm not sure if I'll get into a Russell-Group for my course (actuarial science) because the entry requirements are quite high. But I've heard from people on here and some in my school that it's hard to get a good job without going to a Russell group and that people who don't go to Russell Groups are "dumb" and "have **** for brains".

Is it true that non-RG universities are not well-respected by employers and will I be at a disadvantage if I don't get into a Russell group uni?

And do you guys go to Russell Groups?

Absolutely not! In fact I would say going to a non- Russell Group is somewhat better in terms of the relationship you get with your lecturers, there is more focus on you as a student, rather than the maintaining the ‘prestige of a uni’. To all those who say that your career choices are limited, I would say that’s absolute nonsense- for example in the whole of East of England, a uni with the second highest number of graduates in employment after 6 months is a non- Russell Group. All unis have different league tables for different things- just because a uni is classed as a Russell Group, doesn’t mean that all degree courses at these units are better than those at non- Russell Group unis!!
Basically I'm not sure if I'll get into a Russell-Group for my course (actuarial science) because the entry requirements are quite high. But I've heard from people on here and some in my school that it's hard to get a good job without going to a Russell group and that people who don't go to Russell Groups are "dumb" and "have **** for brains".

Is it true that non-RG universities are not well-respected by employers and will I be at a disadvantage if I don't get into a Russell group uni?

I'm currently in the process of applying to universities too, and the advice I've been given is to go for the universities you genuinely like, and not to worry about their reputation.
As long as you work hard and achieve a high standard degree, it doesn't matter where you go to university, employers will be interested in you.
Just follow your heart. If you're interested in Russell Group universities perhaps risk it and apply to one? Though make sure that your other applications are to universities you feel you are more likely to get offers for. Attend open days, they really help. Keep in mind that you'll be attending this university for 3+ years; you want it to be somewhere you enjoy yourself, and not somewhere you've chosen based on reputation!!
Original post by obis117
I love ur comment .. thanks for reassuring me. I am predicted A*A*A A* in biology and maths and A in chemistry... but I want to go to bradford to study chemical engineering... it's ranked 4th after imperial . It is known to be good job prospects and high student satisfaction. .. good teaching as well. I knw a couple of people that have a degret from bradford and work for big firms. So please dnt be fooled. I applied for university of newcastle, Birmingham,notthingham and hull.
I found out that the ruse groups didn't give as much sup port in class as well as placement. Please check out the complete university guide.

please don't go to Bradford with those grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
many people ve told me dat... bt still I feel dey will give me all the support to successfully get a first
Russell Group unis are good universities, they are NOT the only good universities in the country. Anyone who tells you that is talking out of their arse.

There are 24 RG unis and they don't make up the top 24 unis, which means there are non-RG unis ranked higher than some RG unis. Most employers don't give a ****, if a uni is RG they will look at a given unis reputation and the quality of the course you take at that uni if anything.
It is not a problem if you go to a non Russell Group uni. It is what you make of uni that counts .
There’s not a problem with going to a non Russell Group university. Most of the universities I’ve applied for a not Russell Group, but they still have a high rate of employment after 6 months...

Hi!
If it helps.. I attend a non RG uni that isn’t particularly highly ranked, despite my A level grades being above the requirements of the counteries’ number 1 uni. Personally, I love my uni and my course and strongly believe that this will enable me to achieve a higher degree classification in comparison to the pressure I would put myself under through the constant comparison at a RG uni. Prestige is not the be all and end all of education anymore if you ask me. I am a firm believer that if you are motivated and proactive enough then you will succeed no matter where you attend anyway. In my second year I was accepted onto an internship programme which has really enhanced my CV, arguably more so than being just another graduate of a RG uni. But that’s only my opinion! Don’t feel pressurised to go to RG uni if you don’t think that it’s right for you! Enjoy looking around at what each place has to offer.. you’re spending 3 years there so make sure you like the look of it overall :smile:
Reply 34
I went to a non RG university. Now about to start training as a solicitor in an international law firm :smile:
People on this thread arguing that you 'get more support' at non-Russell Group universities is precisely why they tend to not be as good. This is a generalisation but at Russell Group and other top universities there is far more independent learning and having to figure things out for yourself. The courses tend to be more challenging and rewarding in terms of the skills you gain from them, which is why employers tend to favour them.

One thing that does infuriate me though is when people on TSR try to divide the Russell Group into subjective tiers of hierarchy (which is based on nothing other than nonsense, constantly changing league table perception and disgusting entry standards snobbery). People don't like to hear this, but it makes very little difference whether you go to Durham or Manchester or Southampton. Sure, at some of these universities there might be more private school kids, and those who thought doing a 4th full A-Level was somehow a good use of their free time, but the difficulty of the courses, the quality of the education and the job prospects offered from the departments at these institutions are roughly about the same, so people shouldn't act all stuck-up and superior just because their university is 'in the top 10', it's pathetic.
(edited 5 years ago)
St.Andrews Bath Lancaster seem to be perfect examples of non-RG uni that are considered very good in reputation.

St.Andrews = Durham Bristol Edinburgh
Bath = Nottingham Exeter York
Lancaster = Birmingham Leeds Sheffield
Original post by Nathan9087
St.Andrews Bath Lancaster seem to be perfect examples of non-RG uni that are considered very good in reputation.

Tbh, Lancaster should be (just) below those unis, more on the same level of brand as Liverpool or QUB. That is, they both do great research but the quality of the student bodies, grad destinations and level of cognisant recruiting from top employers is much lower.

St As and Bath and all the other unis (bar York, which should be lower) are about the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Nathan9087

Please don't equate Lancaster with Birmingham/Leeds/Sheffield, the latter are obviously better universities. Birmingham is a very well-established, traditional university with a lot of things going for it, it is NOT in the same league as Lancaster.
Original post by JohanGRK
To be fair I'm not sure that this view is being shared by the young'uns. Lancaster has developed a spicy reputation through its repeated solid performances in all three league tables (the 'all three' matters - this isn't a one off), while Birmingham is your typical bare average redbrick that you probably won't aspire to study at.

How 'established' a university is is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the days of upstarts like Loughborough and Warwick!

Yeah, I’m not sure the ‘young’uns’ are the best judges to be honest. Nobody cares about what 17 - 21 year olds think. If they think rankings are more important than how established and well-known a university is then good for them, but they’re idiots. That’s a little bit like saying the charts are a good way of discovering the best music (they are not, by the way).

Birmingham has a very good reputation and properly informed people are aware of this, thankfully. No offense but you sound like a ridiculous snob - I really don't think 'typical bare average redbrick' is a widely shared perception of the University of Birmingham to be honest, you must be an exceptional snob if that's what you think. Have you actually seen what the university is like? It attracts a lot of smart, affluent kids from excellent schools.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending