Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

what careers/jobs should I be looking to?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I graduated this year with a Distinction in my English Lit MA, following on from a First in English and Creative Writing. I worked throughout the taught year of my MA as a receptionist and hostess and a busy, higher-end restaurant, took a year out to finish up my dissertation, immediately took up bar work on submission of dissertation due to the urgent need for cash, and a month later got taken on as a full-time library assistant at my city's central library as agency staff, and then successfully got an interview and was taken on as full staff under the council employee umbrella.

I'm finishing up a TEFL course because I figured it would help me to travel and I'd like to visit Japan, but have realised that TEFL definitely isn't for me. (I'm also studying Japanese through an evening class at my local uni, and did very well in the first semester, I'm hoping to carry on if the next stage is running in September). I enjoy my work at the library, but the areas that I'm dissatisfied with have made me realise that I really want a job that 'challenges' me intellectually and provides me with opportunities to problem solve and investigate/track things down.

Writing has always been one of my first loves, but coming from a family of artists, the uncertainty of self-employment just isn't for me, at least not in the near future. I realise that nothing is stable or certain right now, but that level of instability just isn't something I want.

A PhD in Literature and then moving into academia is another strong contender (though also difficult, and competitive, and a big money investment). It's been in the back of my mind for a while and my MA adviser is pushing me to keep things ticking over even if I'm making no hard decisions yet - she's advising me to change my diss into a workable article and look into publication, as well as presenting at a conference in my study area.

Another thing I'm considering is law - doing a GDL etc - as I can be pretty sure that it would challenge me, and should provide plenty of problem solving and investigative opportunities. On the other hand, it would be a big change, and huge commitment, and potentially very expensive (though I would be initially looking into training contracts that cover GDL and LPC fees). If I do go this route it won't be until after further though, investigation, and hopefully managing at least one instance of work experience or a vacation scheme (though as I work full time it poses a bit of a logistics issue).

I guess I really just need to bounce some ideas and maybe get some advice into other areas that might work and hopefully wouldn't involve massive retraining costs, so any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm simultaneously driven and ambitious, but it's all too easy for me to slip into coasting along the path of least resistance, especially now that I have a reasonably stable job that I mostly enjoy and I like the people I work with and the environment I work in, even if it doesn't really fulfil me.

(Original post by Elsca20)
    Look out for university librarian jobs?
    Start writing and see if you can place your work - newspapers, articles for in-house magazines etc?
    Marketing and fund-raising jobs all have roles for writers and researchers? - start looking at the Development Office in your own uni - but any uni is a good training ground.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.