The Student Room Group

Growing up without a Dad - what's the impact on women?

So i've noticed some of my girl mates, tend to be going off track. The only thing in common is they don't have a strong male character in their lives.

This can't be a coincidence?

Scroll to see replies

they seem to have mixed up relationships with men, and the ones I know in this situation are very promiscuous- they think that somehow sleeping with lots of men they are proving a point to themselves that they don't need "the one man" in their lives. I think it stems from an inherent need to be loved by many men as its something they didn't have when growing up
Reply 2
The longer a girl goes without a dad, the more hair there is in her armpits and on her chest. After a period of ~7 years with no male influence, she wakes up one day with a penis. It's just nature's attempt to ensure every household has a man in it.
Reply 3
Original post by Bill_Gates

So i've noticed some of my girl mates, tend to be going off track. The only thing in common is they don't have a strong male character in their lives.

I've grown up with a Dad all my life but my Mum is a little more stricter than my Dad. He's chilled out, it's usually Mums who are stricter with daughters from what I've experienced. I'm 21 and Sikh if that makes any difference.
Forever will be afraid to fall in love.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by neal95
they seem to have mixed up relationships with men, and the ones I know in this situation are very promiscuous- they think that somehow sleeping with lots of men they are proving a point to themselves that they don't need "the one man" in their lives. I think it stems from an inherent need to be loved by many men as its something they didn't have when growing up

Yep, this is what i'm noticing. They are getting a lot of abuse from people but i'm not going to give up on them. But i don't know what to do?!
Reply 6
Original post by Habina786xx
Forever will be afraid to fall in love.
Posted from TSR Mobile

that's only from one girl i know but she's a teacher now and finding life hard in general just to get by.

Unfortunately, I have noticed this trend too. I grew up with a father, but a psychopathic and rejecting one and I'm a bit of a 'slut'. I think it stems from a yearning for male appreciation.
Reply 8
Original post by lachachacha
Unfortunately, I have noticed this trend too. I grew up with a father, but a psychopathic and rejecting one and I'm a bit of a 'slut'. I think it stems from a yearning for male appreciation.

Has he always been that way?
Reply 9
I grew up with both parents- my mum was alright but my dad was really strict (used beatings as punishments, always angry, raised his voice often etc). One thing that I've also noticed about him is that he is emotionally absent i.e. He never expresses love or compassion, and when he does try and do it, it comes across very awkward. As ive gotten older his aggression has calmed down abit but I still feel as if I am stepping on egg shells around him. I can't have 'banter' or express my feelings with him, but with my mum I can. Sometimes I get really jealous when I see other people share jokes and have fun with their parents, but for me I cant do that. Im not entirely sure if my father's actions have/will impact me later on in life but many psychologists have found links between the relationship between a daughter and her father and how it impacts her love life. I'm in my late teens but I've never dated anyone. Im alright with talking to boys but can get a tiny bit shy depending on their level of attractiveness. I have some self esteem issues but I don't think this is a direct link between the relationship of me and my dad. But overall I think I'd generally be more happier if I had a father who actually showed that he understood and cared for me.
Supposedly very significant.

Although clearly not every case is the same.

https://goodmenproject.com/families/the-critical-impact-of-non-residential-fathers-on-their-daughters-kcon/
I grew up with a dad but as someone already stated he was "emotionally absent" and as a result I think I'm pretty emotionally absent myself.
Original post by stefano865
Supposedly very significant.

Although clearly not every case is the same.

https://goodmenproject.com/families/the-critical-impact-of-non-residential-fathers-on-their-daughters-kcon/

Sound's sad :frown: surprised so many women still opt for a divorce and try to limit access to the fathers considering the effects on the children.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I grew up with a dad but as someone already stated he was "emotionally absent" and as a result I think I'm pretty emotionally absent myself.

in what sense? relationships or just general?

Correlation does not always equal causation.

I grew up without my dad and I'm completely fine. Never felt that I needed a dad, never felt I was missing out or anything like that. I'm a pretty stable individual and not going off any tracks any time soon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
Correlation does not always equal causation.

I grew up without my dad and I'm completely fine. Never felt that I needed a dad, never felt I was missing out or anything like that. I'm a pretty stable individual and not going off any tracks any time soon.

Outlier? black community has dis-proportionally lack of fathers and has one of the highest crime, welfare dependency, unemployment etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Impossible to measure, at the least there is no model example of how a relationship should work. Many dads are emotionally absent anyway, common things I have noticed in these women are just ramped up feminine traits like a need to please others and not having strong boundaries.
Original post by neal95

Second this, friend I know like this only just turned 18 and allegedly slept with 40+ dudes... and with clearly the intent of just "burning through them"
in what sense? relationships or just general?

He was never really expressive with his love for us, I don't really know that much about him tbh. I think it does have an impact (on both boys and girls) when you grow up with parents who have certain traits, you tend to pick up on them, but that is normal.

Just in general but I'm not to fussed, I would rather be emotionally absent than overly emotional.
Original post by -Miracle
Second this, friend I know like this only just turned 18 and allegedly slept with 40+ dudes... and with clearly the intent of just "burning through them"

They persistent until they can get validation, then they give up. She should be careful, she might meet someone who is abusive.

Quick Reply

Latest