The Student Room Group

Is it time "hate speech" were included in our freedom or speech?

Often times people are accused of so called hate speech and are therefore barred from holding a talk at a university perhaps. But what is hate speech and who decides what falls under this category? Personally I think it is a ploy to silence those whose views may upset people...one such example of this would be the criticism of Islam or even Islamism. And surely freedom of speech should apply to all speech...

Please share your thoughts, thanks! :h:

Scroll to see replies

Constructive criticism is okay.
Hate speech - if you have nothing nice to say for no good reason and with no good outcome, then keep your mouth barred.
No, absolutely not. I do agree that there have been issues with censorship in universities but to go to the other extreme and allow all speech regardless of how hateful it is would be a terrible idea. Laws against hate speech exist for a reason, to protect people's right to feel safe.
Reply 3
I think you're confusing us with the USA. Over there, you can pretty much say what you like under one of the amendments. However, in this country, speech is indeed quite limited (and for good reason, I'll add). "Freedom of speech" is limited depending on the country's laws.
No, because it infringes the rights of others to safety and security, which should take precedent over your right to act on your desire to shame or intimidate them or the equivalent.

That being said, the ban on hate speech should not be abused by people crying wolf and calling everything that they don't like hate speech.
Reply 5
Yes. Personally, I think all speech should be allowed unless it directly threatens to kill or physically attack someone (I.e. you shouldn't be allowed to tell people to go kill some guy) or if it exposes someone's address or other private contact details.
People should be allowed to say what ever they want unless they are inciting violence.

And, that's where we should draw the line. Criticism of a religious ideology shouldn't warrant any form of criminal punishment.
Reply 7
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Hate speech - if you have nothing nice to say for no good reason and with no good outcome, then keep your mouth barred.

I think you'll enjoy life in North Korea.
Original post by CorpusLuteum

So we should put feelings above truth? Because sometimes the truth hurts.

Original post by Plagioclase
No, absolutely not. I do agree that there have been issues with censorship in universities but to go to the other extreme and allow all speech regardless of how hateful it is would be a terrible idea. Laws against hate speech exist for a reason, to protect people's right to feel safe.

Yes, but who then decides what is hate speech and what is not? Because like you said people are being censored, because apparently their speech is hateful...but what is hateful? I mean, I might hold some views on Islam (I must emphasise Islam and not muslims) that could be called hateful, so I should not be allowed to say them?

And in life people will say and do all sorts of bad things to you, and saying something doesn't mean it will result in a (negative) action. Why must we baby people?

Spoiler

Original post by F.Nietzsche
So we should put feelings above truth? Because sometimes the truth hurts.

What truth? What truth is there in this world that means we have to incite so much rage within our fellow man that they feel the need to go an kill or harm the people who are the speakers enemy?
I Was thinking about this yesterday. It's a toughie, obviously you get left wing morons than ban feminists at universities for being "islamiphobic" but you also get the nutty alt right who think it's fine to harass and make monkey noises at black people on Twitter...I think the line is about attacking ideas and not individuals,
yes - why shouldn't we have the right to hate, or express hate? why shouldn't people have the right to their emotions?
for example: I hate the government. **** the government. am I allowed to say that? yes? so why can't I say that about anybody or anything?
(edited 7 years ago)
People can't be trusted with true free speech. Last time anyone had that they decided the Jews caused all the problems in the world. They destroyed their shops and then voted in a government that tried to systematically exterminate them. People are too stupid for free speech, it's dangerous.
Reply 13
Truth is heavily subjective. Some people think the truth is that all of Islam is responsible for terrorism, and therefore could encourage unjust violence/stigmatisation (even more than that which already exists) for muslims. Of course, this is not the truth, as terrorists come in many forms, but with completely free speech the jeopardy of the people's safety is infinitely possible.

I do however agree that we need to make some modern world progress, though not through letting anyone say anything. You have to filter out the impurities to make gold.
People should be able to say whatever they want, and people should be able to respond with speech back. Connotation should be taken into account, but the speech itself shouldn't be in any way restricted.

Original post by JordanL_
People can't be trusted with true free speech. Last time anyone had that they decided the Jews caused all the problems in the world. They destroyed their shops and then voted in a government that tried to systematically exterminate them. People are too stupid for free speech, it's dangerous.

Words != Action

Original post by WBZ144
No, because it infringes the rights of others to safety and security, which should take precedent over your right to act on your desire to shame or intimidate them or the equivalent.

That being said, the ban on hate speech should not be abused by people crying wolf and calling everything that they don't like hate speech.

How does me saying something hurt you in any way unless I am literally yelling in your ear? Feelings don't count.

Original post by Plagioclase

You realise that by suppressing speech you're literally making things more dangerous? If people cannot express themselves it builds up and it becomes action.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JCal
Truth is heavily subjective

What. I have read your entire post, and I still cannot wrap my head around this. It is possible for people to be incorrect on some things, and there are things with no truth.
Original post by Davij038
I Was thinking about this yesterday. It's a toughie, obviously you get left wing morons than ban feminists at universities for being "islamiphobic" but you also get the nutty alt right who think it's fine to harass and make monkey noises at black people on Twitter...I think the line is about attacking ideas and not individuals,

I think I've seen that tweet/video. You make it sound funny but that video was actually so sad. :frown:
Original post by Davij038

You know, you can log off of twitter. You can walk away from a conversation, and if they keep trying it on you can get them for harassment.
Well, we're smarter than to follow ancient texts.
Original post by JCal
I think you're confusing us with the USA. Over there, you can pretty much say what you like under one of the amendments. However, in this country, speech is indeed quite limited (and for good reason, I'll add). "Freedom of speech" is limited depending on the country's laws.

I am moving to the US then:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest