The Student Room Group

A-Level Subjects Help!! Maths or Geography!

So I'm starting A-Levels in September, and I want to keep the options of doing either Law or Economics open to me at university. I'm aiming for at least AAAA in whichever subjects I take, but I can't decide what to take for the fourth subject.

I am 100% taking both German and Economics, because I speak fluent German without actually being German, and then economics for obvious reasons. I've then picked both Geography and Law as the other two subjects, but I've been considering switching Geography to Maths.

However, I'm not fully sure just how difficult it is to get an A in maths. I got a B in IGCSE maths, but I studied this entire course in 3 weeks because I was enrolled late (I was at an International School outside of England, and it was an extracurricular subject). I'm not natural in Maths, and I've never studied Geography before so I really cant decide which one to take!!

I also don't want to study English Lit or History because I will not be motivated to do well in them at all!

So what do you think? Which combination of subjects will be best in being successful in terms of grades and applying to universities? German, Econ, Geog, and Law? Or German, Econ, Maths, and Law?

Thanks so much! :smile:
Do German, econ, maths and law. You will need A level maths for a degree in economics. Since the degree is quite quantitative. Most top or Russell groups uni ask that you have A level maths.
I would definitely say take maths, if you want to keep the option of economics at university open. Most unis require A-level maths for economics. Hope this helps!
Original post by HarveyBrooks
So I'm starting A-Levels in September, and I want to keep the options of doing either Law or Economics open to me at university. I'm aiming for at least AAAA in whichever subjects I take, but I can't decide what to take for the fourth subject.I am 100% taking both German and Economics, because I speak fluent German without actually being German, and then economics for obvious reasons. I've then picked both Geography and Law as the other two subjects, but I've been considering switching Geography to Maths.However, I'm not fully sure just how difficult it is to get an A in maths. I got a B in IGCSE maths, but I studied this entire course in 3 weeks because I was enrolled late (I was at an International School outside of England, and it was an extracurricular subject). I'm not natural in Maths, and I've never studied Geography before so I really cant decide which one to take!!I also don't want to study English Lit or History because I will not be motivated to do well in them at all!So what do you think? Which combination of subjects will be best in being successful in terms of grades and applying to universities? German, Econ, Geog, and Law? Or German, Econ, Maths, and Law?Thanks so much! :smile:
A grade B in a span of 3 weeks is quite good tbh so pick mathematics over geography imo as you sound more than capable in maths, it isn't that difficult to get an A either and it's far more interesting according to some classmates who also did Geography, also it will come in handy for economics if I'm not mistaken.
So I'm starting A-Levels in September, and I want to keep the options of doing either Law or Economics open to me at university. I'm aiming for at least AAAA in whichever subjects I take, but I can't decide what to take for the fourth subject.

I am 100% taking both German and Economics, because I speak fluent German without actually being German, and then economics for obvious reasons. I've then picked both Geography and Law as the other two subjects, but I've been considering switching Geography to Maths.

However, I'm not fully sure just how difficult it is to get an A in maths. I got a B in IGCSE maths, but I studied this entire course in 3 weeks because I was enrolled late (I was at an International School outside of England, and it was an extracurricular subject). I'm not natural in Maths, and I've never studied Geography before so I really cant decide which one to take!!

I also don't want to study English Lit or History because I will not be motivated to do well in them at all!

So what do you think? Which combination of subjects will be best in being successful in terms of grades and applying to universities? German, Econ, Geog, and Law? Or German, Econ, Maths, and Law?

I would say the second set with maths instead of geog is stronger on paper. You need to think about what you will applying for at uni? What will prepare you the best? Plus it might be nice to have one easier A level like geog instead of math and law together. Just some thoughts. :smile:
For some Economics degrees, Maths A Level is essential, so I'd recommend Maths if you're considering Economics. However, A Level Law isn't essential for a Law degree, so I'd suggest taking Geography as well and dropping Law. Geography is a facilitating subject and is regarded more highly than Law, and also compliments Economics, which would be useful for an Economics degree. If you don't want to take both though, then I'd suggest Maths :smile:
Math will definitely look better, but don't take it unless you need to or if you don't enjoy it. Its not as difficult as some people make out tho, and it is quite easy to get an A if you work hard.
Definitely take Maths.
I have just finished A2 AQA geography. At AS we studied rivers, coasts, energy and populations. AS geography is really straight forward - learn the content and you're going to pass. However, there is A LOT of content. I'd recommend only taking geography if you have a good memory. A2 geography is a whole different ballgame (I studied tectonics, world cities and ecosystems.) Ecosystems is really interesting (learning about the rainforests and your own garden) but I found world cities extremely dull to the point I put off revising for it as much possible - but you may enjoy it! The hardest thing about geography would be the exam structure - at AS it won't take long to master but once you reach A2, many people (including myself who got 196/200 in AS geography- not bragging just showing able students struggle) can't grasp how the essay structure actually works. A2 geography is HEAVY in content too.

So if I were you I'd take maths - it'll compliment your other subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I also say do Maths. It's an incredibly useful subject and if you're intending to do Economics then it's pretty much essential.
Maths cause it's easy to revise for and uses GCSE knowledge and looks better so Yh easy choice m8

99% candidates applying for economics will have maths and the majority applying for economics at a top Russell group uni will also have further maths. At many if the best unis, maths and even sometimes further maths, are actually specified as required subjects. So, by not doing at least maths you would be hugely limiting your opportunities.
Okay, looks like I'll have to seriously consider Maths! Haha thank you everyone :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Hayley Williams
I would say the second set with maths instead of geog is stronger on paper. You need to think about what you will applying for at uni? What will prepare you the best? Plus it might be nice to have one easier A level like geog instead of math and law together. Just some thoughts. :smile:

dont do law itsnotrequired for any thing
Maths is required by a lot of the top universities for Economics so I'd definitely choose that over geography. However, some of the content in geography will be helpful if you're also doing A Level economics so I'd recommend doing both maths and geography and dropping law. Law isn't essential if you do decide to do a Law degree and geography is a facilitating subject so it'll be more highly regarded by universities.

Quick Reply

Latest