The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

How hard was it to get into imperial?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fefssdf
Yh I'm surprised people thought I did physics and chemistry alongside film studies LMAO

I suppose it is a better 6th A Level than General Studies
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I suppose it is a better 6th A Level than General Studies

Indeed general studies seems like a right laugh
Reply 22
For the Joint Mathematics and Computer science course (which is pretty tough),
my offer was to get A* in Further maths (Im in my gap year and did 5 subjects, got A*A*AAA)
Everyone else I heard of (including some guys doing just computing) had to do the dreaded STEP papers (thank god I survived that bullet)
Original post by N92991
For the Joint Mathematics and Computer science course (which is pretty tough),
my offer was to get A* in Further maths (Im in my gap year and did 5 subjects, got A*A*AAA)
Everyone else I heard of (including some guys doing just computing) had to do the dreaded STEP papers (thank god I survived that bullet)

Did you get interviewed or not? I'm really interested in applying but I live in NI, so according to the website I'd get an entrance test.
Reply 24
I live in south Asia, and I had a Skype interview , they asked a math question, a logic question and to write some psuedocode I know a friend who was given some questions in a PDF file and he had to submit the answers later so that's a better alternative to the pressure of the interview
Original post by N92991
I live in south Asia, and I had a Skype interview , they asked a math question, a logic question and to write some psuedocode I know a friend who was given some questions in a PDF file and he had to submit the answers later so that's a better alternative to the pressure of the interview

To what level was the pseudocode? Programming isn't a problem for me, at least for the level they'd want you to enter with.
Reply 26
Original post by TiernanW
To what level was the pseudocode? Programming isn't a problem for me, at least for the level they'd want you to enter with.

write the factorial function in psuedocode. yeah i know, its a really really easy question, they probably asked that one easy since I dont have programming experience
Original post by N92991
write the factorial function in psuedocode. yeah i know, its a really really easy question, they probably asked that one easy since I dont have programming experience

Ah yes, that would be a lovely question to get. :smile: Did they ask you to speak it out to them, or write it down then read it out? Or does it even matter. :P
Reply 28
Got in last year to Computing. My offer was A*A*AA and A in EPQ. Pretty 'low' as far as computing offers go - I escaped STEP or AEA in my offer thankfully. Interview was quite straightforward, questions were easily found on 'interview tips' online so anyone who researched beforehand should've been fine.
Reply 29
I think it's important to note to IC hopefuls reading this thread that STEP is becoming more and more standard as the quality of applicants surges through the roof year on year. With everyone doing great in their exams, the admissions team need a way to differentiate between candidates.
Don't let that scare you off, the course is still just as hard, so you better get used to self study. Being able to complete STEP is a great setup to success here, mostly with the study ethics you will need rather than the maths itself.
Reply 30
Ah yes, that would be a lovely question to get. :smile: Did they ask you to speak it out to them, or write it down then read it out? Or does it even matter. :P

wrote on a piece of paper and showed it to the webcam
Original post by bwr19
Got in last year to Computing. My offer was A*A*AA and A in EPQ. Pretty 'low' as far as computing offers go - I escaped STEP or AEA in my offer thankfully. Interview was quite straightforward, questions were easily found on 'interview tips' online so anyone who researched beforehand should've been fine.

How do you think Imperial look at 1 or 2 Bs in any of your subject modules?

I feel content that I have all As in my Maths and Further Maths (hoping I don't jinx it xD), but I feel like my Physics practical, and possibly 1 or 2 of my Biology papers could be a B. Though I feel confident I got 5As in the overall subjects (seriously if I jinx this LOL) in my AS-Levels.
Reply 32
How do you think Imperial look at 1 or 2 Bs in any of your subject modules?

I feel content that I have all As in my Maths and Further Maths (hoping I don't jinx it xD), but I feel like my Physics practical, and possibly 1 or 2 of my Biology papers could be a B. Though I feel confident I got 5As in the overall subjects (seriously if I jinx this LOL) in my AS-Levels.

They don't care about specific modules. Just the final grades. I got several Bs and Cs in certain modules but made up for it in other areas. Don't stress it.
Original post by Firefly13
Good luck on your GCSE results! Hope you get what you want in them :h:
One of my friends knows someone doing Chemical Engineering and they've asked them for you, hopefully they'll reply soon!

Hi, I know this was from a while ago, but has your friend got back to you yet? :smile:
I got in pretty easy with AAB (missed my offer of AAA) in Biology, Chemistry & Physics. Grant you, I was on one of the less competitive courses at Imperial but still makes me lol that they let me in! One of my friends got into medicine at Imperial with AAB as well.
Original post by mooomooo
I got in pretty easy with AAB (missed my offer of AAA) in Biology, Chemistry & Physics. Grant you, I was on one of the less competitive courses at Imperial but still makes me lol that they let me in! One of my friends got into medicine at Imperial with AAB as well.

What was your course if I may ask? 😁
Original post by CookieMonster456
Hi, I know this was from a while ago, but has your friend got back to you yet? :smile:

Hello! Sorry, I haven't heard back yet. I think they've gone off to Australia travelling so they might not have time or Internet. I haven't forgotten though, I'll let you know when I hear back!
Original post by Real_jenn
What was your course if I may ask? 😁

Biology :smile:
Did you have any opportunities to study abroad?
Original post by Squigysqump
Did you have any opportunities to study abroad?

It depends what subject you want to do, but a lot of the courses have a year abroad option where you will go to another country to work (for example, I do Biology and I know someone who is going to Germany to work in a pharmaceutical company). Even if for some reason the course you want to doesn't offer any options like that you can always arrange it yourself and then explain to the undergraduate department who should let you take the year off and rejoin again afterwards. I can't imagine why they would say no, but it might be worth sending them an email if you chose to apply to check that.

If you would like to go to a university abroad to study for the year you could look into the ERASMUS program. I know Imperial has had students from that so I'm sure they would be happy to send students away as well.

Quick Reply