The Student Room Group

US citizen wanting to study in the UK

Hello! I am a U.S. Student (Puerto Rico) that would love to study in Scotland to get a bachelor degree, preferably in Chemistry, Biotechnology or a course related to these subjects. I'm very concerned about the education system in the universities because the requirements look very difficult to achieve. I wanted to know if there are any Americans students who are in a UK university now, and their experience while studying there. I would like to study in Glasgow, or somewhere on the west coast preferably. Please help!
Original post by jtodame
Hello! I am a U.S. Student (Puerto Rico) that would love to study in Scotland to get a bachelor degree, preferably in Chemistry, Biotechnology or a course related to these subjects. I'm very concerned about the education system in the universities because the requirements look very difficult to achieve. I wanted to know if there are any Americans students who are in a UK university now, and their experience while studying there. I would like to study in Glasgow, or somewhere on the west coast preferably. Please help!

These are the entry requirements for Chemistry at St. Andrew's if this helps at all:

If you are interested in undergraduate study at St Andrews, you must meet the University's entrance requirements as outlined below. All applications are assessed holistically and on an individual basis. As such, assessors will look closely at a candidates performance in relevant academic subject areas.Candidates are expected to have taken a college preparatory curriculum, including honours and AP classes where available, and should demonstrate an A-/B+ average in academic subjects. Applications which include strong grades in relevant subject exams will be more competitive; AP candidates are expected to obtain scores of 4 or 5, with 5 in any prerequisite subjects and SAT Subject Test candidates are expected to score 650 or higher, with 700+ in any prerequisite subjects.International Baccalaureate candidates are expected to obtain scores ranging from 35 to 38 points.Applicants should have taken at least one standardised test.ACT candidates are expected to obtain a combined score of 28 or higher. (We will superscore the ACT i.e. take the best component from each test to give the overall highest score).SAT I:2016 entry candidates are expected to obtain 1950 or higher across the three elements. (We will superscore the SAT i.e take the best component from each test to give the overall highest score).2017 entry candidates completing the redesigned SAT 1, will be required to complete the Essay component. Admissions Officers will assess the SAT total score out of 1600 and the separate score for the Essay, and will continue to focus on individual sub-scores in a holistic manner and within the context of the overall application.Where the candidate has not completed the SAT or ACT, a minimum of three AP/SAT II exams would be required. Please note that AP scores will be used for admissions purposes only, and no credits or exemptions will be awarded.Official scores from all test dates can be sent to us directly from the ACT or the College Board (the reporting agency for the SAT/AP).SAT/AP/College Board Scores Code number: 7775ACT Code number: 5316If you are studying a foreign language qualification and you wish this to be considered, it should be in a language that is foreign to you and should not be in your first language. You should indicate in your personal statement that the foreign language qualification you are studying is not your first language. If this is not the case your application may be considered less competitive.You will also be expected to meet the entrance requirements set by the relevant Faculty for your programme of study. Applicants to Medicine should refer directly to the School of Medicine or the International Foundation Programme for Medicine.This information is for general guidance; we consider each application on its own merits, as outlined in the undergraduate admissions policy.

The link is here if that's easier to read - http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/entrance-requirements/usa/
Reply 2
How about for students who finished their Associate Degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending