The Student Room Group

British students may be excluded from Erasmus after Brexit

Under the Erasmus scheme, British students can study at European universities for up to a year, and European students in the UK. But after Brexit, says the scheme’s UK director, Ruth Sinclair-Jones, “we face a sad moment of uncertainty, after 30 years of this enrichment of so many lives”.

The potential end of British participation in the scheme would be “a devastating tragedy”, according to those who founded and administer it. Exclusion from Erasmus would also have what one vice-chancellor called “a stunning impact” on university finances, alongside the crisis facing funds for science, research and other grants. There are 120,000 students from EU countries at UK universities, of which 27,401 are through Erasmus, fees paid by the EU. Considering the options open to negotiating a way to keep Britain in the scheme, the Universities UK group, which liaises between academic institutions receiving and sending Erasmus students, points out that Norway is a participant, but, says one of its officers: “Norway has accepted freedom of movement as part of its relationship to the EU, and we don’t know if Britain will do that”.

However, he says: “The Swiss had their referendum limiting freedom of movement and were told they are therefore out of Erasmus. Switzerland has now initiated its own scheme, but this costs a lot of money and raises the issue that only better-off families can be part of it. The great thing about Erasmus is that it made the experience and opportunity available to every student,whatever their family means”.
Source (The Guardian)
How upsetting and desperately unfair to future students to be denied this wonderful opportunity.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Better f***ing not be.... :frown:
Reply 2
Ffs I really wanted to do this. I hope it still exists when I get round to doing it.
Can't say I'm surprised. I knew this among other unsavoury consequences would be a possibility if we left the EU. Very disappointing to say the least.
Original post by SophieSmall
Can't say I'm surprised.

Neither can I. It's a EU project funded by EU contributions so if we stop paying and following EU laws, of course we're not going to get benefits like these. It's just horrible that the young people who will be impacted by this probably didn't even get a say in the matter.
Of course this will be dismissed as doom mongering.
Original post by Plagioclase
Neither can I. It's a EU project funded by EU contributions so if we stop paying and following EU laws, of course we're not going to get benefits like these. It's just horrible that the young people who will be impacted by this probably didn't even get a say in the matter.

I liked the fact that the opportunity to study a masters in the EU in a couple of years time while getting the benefits of being an EU student (very cheap or even free tuition) was open to me. But after Brexit things are looking bleak on that front now as well.
How immature of Erasmus.
I was looking to take advantage of this scheme, quite a shame... :cry2:
Original post by JamesN88
Of course this will be dismissed as doom mongering.

Even informing Brexiters that our economy is currently dropping was considered "fear mongering" :wink:
Original post by TercioOfParma
How immature of Erasmus.

Hardly.

if we're not contributing to the funding why should we reap the rewards?
This is one of the reasons I actually voted to remain. I will be greatly saddened because this'll affect the year abroad which is an integral part of pretty much any language degree.

But it's ok cause clearly the government can afford to and will fund all this...

lol.
Original post by Inexorably
This is one of the reasons I actually voted to remain. I will be greatly saddened because this'll affect the year abroad which is an integral part of pretty much any language degree.

But it's ok cause clearly the government can afford to and will fund all this...

lol.

That lol at the end. :lol:

Spoiler

lol.

Exactly, I want to do a language degree but I guess I'll be in a whole lot more debt now :s-smilie:
[QUOTE="Plagioclase;66572006"] Source (The Guardian)
How upsetting and desperately unfair to future students to be denied this wonderful opportunity.

But you could regard Eramus and its like as one of the reasons for Brexit.

Eramus is one of the programmes that takes money from Europe's "have nots" and gives it to the "haves".

In 2008/9 whist 35% of the British student population were from managerial and professional backgrounds 47% of Erasmus participants were.
Original post by SophieSmall
That lol at the end. :lol:

Spoiler

PRSOM :giggle:
Original post by nulli tertius
But you could regard Eramus and its like as one of the reasons for Brexit.

Eramus is one of the programmes that takes money from Europe's "have nots" and gives it to the "haves".

In 2008/9 whist 35% of the British student population were from managerial and professional backgrounds 47% of Erasmus participants were.

I suspect those numbers more or less just reflect the backgrounds of people who choose to take foreign languages at University. Erasmus was equal participation and I know plenty of people who did a year abroad who came from no money at all at home. Now they most certainly will not be able to self-fund to go.
Reply 17

lol.

Misery likes company
Absolutely disgusted. If this ruins my year abroad, and unforunately being a languages student starting in September it looks like it will, then I honestly don't think I will be able to forgive those who voted for us to leave the EU. Another major benefit being stripped of us for no good reason.

The Erasmus scheme (as well as the freedom of movement) was one of the main reasons I also voted to remain. I'm honestly fed up of how our country has pretty much gone to **** in the past month. I'm predicting a massive brain drain, and I'm going to be a part of it.

Germany could potentially offer dual citizenship for British people so if they do go through with that then I'm taking full advantage of it, leaving this country and never coming back. Not repaying my student loan either if this is how those of us are treated that have an outward looking view. SFE are slimey at best anyway to be honest.
Original post by pizzanomics
Not repaying my student loan either if this is how those of us are treated that have an outward looking view.

Probably not the best idea unfortunately as much as I agree with the sentiment because you could get in a lot of trouble for that.

Quick Reply