The Student Room Group

Why do people support the far right?

So why do working class people support the far right? It's not just about immigration. Do they not realise that the right wants to abolish their benefits and privatise the NHS?
Then people like Ian Duncan Smith/Damien Green cut benefits from disabled, charge poor people bedroom tax, sanction people and force the jobless to do workfare for their dole. That's right wing politics for you.

The majority of people who support the far right are working class people and many are of our age group born around the late 1990s early 2000s. Born into a new millennium with a great labour government that supported multicultural values, made British people proud to be in the EU and had a fair welfare system with a good NHS. People were very happy then their parents and families very happy. I'm happy with what we had then.

What makes these people tick?
Far Right = UKIP?

What you've described is most certainly not "Far Right"
Why do rich white kids support the far left?
Reply 3
I find the overwhelming flock of support to far left politics more worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Pulse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you consider far left? No mainstream party in the UK is far left, not even greens.
Original post by Ambitious1999
So why do working class people support the far right? It's not just about immigration. Do they not realise that the right wants to abolish their benefits and privatise the NHS?
Then people like Ian Duncan Smith/Damien Green cut benefits from disabled, charge poor people bedroom tax, sanction people and force the jobless to do workfare for their dole. That's right wing politics for you.

The majority of people who support the far right are working class people and many are of our age group born around the late 1990s early 2000s. Born into a new millennium with a great labour government that supported multicultural values, made British people proud to be in the EU and had a fair welfare system with a good NHS. People were very happy then their parents and families very happy. I'm happy with what we had then.

You're so far off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Summit
What do you consider far left? No mainstream party in the UK is far left, not even greens.

I said far left politics, not necessarily far left parties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's good that you ask these questions instead of like many others who just shout 'racist, bigot' which obviously does not help things.

As others have said what you've described are not really far right and could be envisaged being done by any centrist party depending on the economic conditions.

A good book for further reading would be this written by two political scientists.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolt-Right-Explaining-Extremism-Democracy/dp/0415661501
Original post by Pulse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt mistake an entryest takeover of the labour party with support for far left politics judging by the recent poll anyhow.

You need to define "far right".

The BNP want to increase funding for the NHS.

Ian Duncan Smith does not want to end immigration.

You seem to be conflating two very different groups.
Original post by Dieselblue
Why do rich white kids support the far left?

I think Churchill said “Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain.”
Mostly because people are becoming more polarized... the left is moving so far to the left that anyone who just stays put is considered far right now. You would have to move to where the left used to be, in order to be considered center-right.
The far right are groups like the EDL & BNP - it's usually individuals with a lack of brain cells & a poor education who support these organisations.

There's probably the odd member/supporter of UKIP who's far right but they'll be in a total minority.
Original post by ByEeek
I think Churchill said “Any 20 year-old who isn't a liberal doesn't have a heart, and any 40 year-old who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain.”

I would rather have a brain and make clever decisions, even if it isn't popular
than have a heart and make stupid ones
Original post by Tempest II
The far right are groups like the EDL & BNP - it's usually individuals with a lack of brain cells & a poor education who support these organisations.

There's probably the odd member/supporter of UKIP who's far right but they'll be in a total minority.

Never heard of them, are they the zealous, crazy religious folk? I despise them, center right or libertarian are the best
Never heard of them, are they the zealous, crazy religious folk? I despise them, center right or libertarian are the best

The EDL & BNP are more racist than religious.

I'm centre right & I'm certainly sympathetic towards libertarianism but I wouldn't quite call myself a libertarian so I mostly agree with you.
Reply 16
Well, lower immigration and lower taxes are right wing policies. I don't think any of the viable parties in the UK right now are far-right, there seems to be a tendency to call anyone who has any right wing elements at all far-right for some reason..

If you look at UKIP's policies for instance there are many which are logical for the working classes to support, or you can at least understand why they would.

"Raise the personal tax allowance to at least £13,000, taking those on minimum wage out of tax altogether"
"Ensure big corporations pay their fair share of tax"
"Remove VAT from listed building repairs and sanitary products."
"End immigration for unskilled jobs for a five-year period"
"End access to benefits and free NHS treatment for new immigrants until they have paid tax and NI for five years"
"Fund 20,000 more nurses, 8,000 more GPs and 3,000 more midwives"
"Invest an extra £1.5 billion into mental health and dementia services over the next five years"
"Increase social care funding in total by £5.2 billion between 2015 and 2020"
"Promise to invest any tax profits from ‘fracking’ into setting up a Sovereign Wealth Fund to pay for elderly care"
"Protect services such as day care centres, home care and Meals on Wheels"
"End welfare tourism with a five-year embargo on benefits for migrants"
"Scrap the ‘bedroom tax"

and then there are several more sections after that, but I've had enough of copy-pasting..
I would rather have a brain and make clever decisions, even if it isn't popular
than have a heart and make stupid ones

I think the point, is that when you are young, you tend to be more idealistic, more liberal, more free minded and more likely to care about the wider issues of society. When you are older, you tend to have dependants, responsibilities and less time to worry about what everyone else is doing, hence the shift from left to right. I certainly see that in my own politics although I still find the Tories generally repugnant and self serving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending