Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transcribing Music

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether transcribing the music would improve my ear and over a period of time, make interval recognition instinctive? As some of my previous threads show, I play saxophone and now I have finished sight-reading exams etc I'd like to fine tune my ear to play without sheet music. This is the procedure I take during my transcriptions:
    1) Find a song I like. It could be a sax solo, or even just a simple pop song in which I would write out the melody
    2) Listen through the whole song and hear what is going on. Sing it along the way. I do this a couple times
    3) Using Transcribe! (software), begin learning it sections by section. If I struggle, I slow the music down. Each bit I listen to, I sing it and then attempt to play it on my saxophone until I'm confident I hit the right notes.

If I were to keep doing this in my practice sessions, would I get to a stage whereby interval recognition becomes instinctive?

One other important question. When transcribing songs, is it best to write down the notes or just try to remember them and continue trying to play through the whole song without sheet music? I don't know whether this would increase my internalization, as I hear that it makes your brain think a lot between what the next note could be rather than getting the answer from a piece of paper if you forgot it.

Hi, I'm working towards grade 6 clarinet and grade 5 theory (and I'm attempting to teach myself sax). Hope this helps...

Ive been playing music by ear since started playing -I sort of do it by trial and error and don't write anything down. I don't know the names of intervals really, but I must know what they sound like because I can work out a tune by listening to it in a minute or two.

If you had a keyboard that could help... My sis used to play keyboard and now I use it to help with theory, working out chords to songs I like, etc. I did a pop song transcription for concert band for my GCSE music and I started by working out the chords and tune on piano.

And something I just started doing to remember scales could work for intervals:
    I look through one of my grade 6 pieces, and when I see an arpeggio, or part of a scale I write it down. Then I practise those scales, and it helps me memorise the scales and also play difficult fast passages in the music because I know what they're made up of.
    Could work with intervals to help you get used to the sounds of those? If you went through a piece and looked at some of the intervals it could help you remember them by associating them with music.Like how people remember octaves by saying it's the first two notes of Over The Rainbow.

Also maybe you could memorise some pieces you know with sheet music to get you used to playing by ear.

My teacher tried to get me into jazz using the AB Real Book, which has jazz standards with improvisation sections which have suggested notes to improvise with. Improvisation might help with playing by ear. Although if you play sax you probably already play jazz? So sorry if I'm just repeating stuff you know.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.