Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A question about the Widening Participation Higher Education Bursary

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Wonder if anyone can help? My 19 year old son has just finished the first year of the 2 year HND in Health and Social Care at our local college in Northern Ireland. I am not working at the moment. On 9th September last year, a week before the start of his course, my Care Component of Disability Living Allowance was stopped. I only just recently found out that if the entire household income is less than ,I can't remember exactly how much now without looking at it again, but I know that our income is way way lower than this amount. Another criteria to meet is if the student received a full maintenance grant, which he did. Should he have received one of these Bursaries, of £250 ? The thing is, all his paperwork for starting the course was completed months earlier than the September when his course started and the September when my DLA stopped. His local college website says if a student may be eligible they will automatically put his name forward. But how can we be sure this will happen? Who do I contact about this, Student Finance NI or the college? Thank you.

    Get him to go to his student welfare officer in the student union. Or speak to a tutor about it who will be able to point him in the right direction. That said, is seems this may only solve your predicament in the short term. You need to seek a more long term solution one way or another.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.