Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to dispose of a laptop that no longer works

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

As above. In my garage I've got 3 laptops that no longer boot. Looking at disposal advice online, most of it talks about resetting/running programs that will wipe your hard drive, but this is not an option.

Is my only option to try to physically destroy the hard disk? They look pretty hard to get into, particularly the mac.

I understand that after the hard disk is safe I can take it to a council recycling place and they deal with it. Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

If you can get the back case off and then remove the hard drive, ram and battery then it can go in any computer recycling place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd try to remove the hard drives and put them in another computer to wipe. USB --> SATA adapters can be bought off eBay for a couple of quid. If the laptops are already broken then I'm sure you wouldn't mind causing a bit of damage to get to them.

Recycling dump.
    Recycling charity who might try and salavage any parts then send it to a charity or Africa. They will wipe the data for you.
    Wipe the data yourself using any of a number of free programs that you cna google, just connect the hdd to a sata and power connector on any pc or as suggested above you cna buy a cheap external sata connector.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.