The Student Room Group

Munich shooter had "no link to Islamic state"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
By saying that this thread was made for the sole purpose of that. It's not. It's to spread facts rather than paranoia and misinformation. You really don't like facts, do you?

Now, give me proof that this thread was made for left-wingers to giggle and jeer at the non-involvement of Islam. Does the OP show any indication of that? I've posted a link by the BBC, and stated what it contains.

I didn't say that this thread was made for the sole purpose of detracting from the loss of life or the ensued threat of Islamic terrorism in Europe.

In your saying I don't like facts, please explain to me where I've said, showed or implied anything to make you assume that I'm against the notion that the shooter in this case was not associated with radical Islam or my going against factual evidence. Once again, you're the one implying falsities.

Tanya, it is clear that the reason behind your creating this thread was to oppose the right who are trying to make a valid link between Islam and mass terror in Europe. I don't know what threads you're referring to in your saying that "all I see are right-wingers trying really hard to make this related to Islam", but there are only a small group of people proclaiming that the attack two days ago was a police cover-up or somehow associated with Islamic terror.

Also, stop ending every post you make with a snide comment because it speaks volumes about your personality and it doesn't make you sound witty.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
Was and were also depend on the subjunctive mood of the statement; when referring to hypothetical situations, were is the correct choice. So please, get educated before you try to correct me.

The mood was subjunctive, but you used the plural when you should have used the singular.

The sentence you wrote were wrong. :biggrin:
Original post by generallee
He's named after the Fourth Caliph.

I am named after the first Caliph and I am an atheist... dan dan dan daaaa
Reply 43
Don't tell me, Shi'ites aren't proper Muslims.

:facepalm::facepalm:
He's named after the Fourth Caliph.

If you think Ali is a specific reference to a specific Caliph rather than a common name, you're a complete moron.
Original post by cipi
He was a Muslim from Iran.

BBC named him as David Sonboly. Have you ever heard about such Muslim name? :cool:
One side of the political compass: Woohoo he wasn't an Islamist **** yeah!

Other side: Whatever! He's still Muslim scum so... Whatever!

:rolleyes:
There was noconnection to the IS, so whats the big deal?
Original post by StrawbAri
One side of the political compass: Woohoo he wasn't an Islamist **** yeah!

Other side: Whatever! He's still Muslim scum so... Whatever!

:rolleyes:

Far Left = "Woohoo he wasn't an Islamist **** yeah!"
Centre Left = Thank God he wasn't a Muslim.
Centre Right = He wasn't a Muslim this time.
Far Right = It's a cover-up.
Original post by jake4198
In 2016 alone - we have bared witness to 1,274 Islamic terrorists attacks in over 50 countries, resulting in the deaths of 11,774 people and injuring a further 14,303. In the past fortnight here in Europe, France has experienced the death of 84 people at the hands of radical Islamic terror with over 200 injuries - not to mention the lone knife attacks which have taken place in Germany and France in the past two weeks as well. Islamic State is hellbent on inflicting misery on people who don't adhere to their skewed misinterpretation of Islam, more so in Europe given the role European powers have played in the military offensive against Islamic State arsenals in Iraq and Syria.

@WBZ144

You don't understand. Because this particular instance was a random nut case as opposed to an Islamist terror attack for a change, it means that we have no issue with Islamic terrorism at the moment. Now we can denounce everybody who talks about it, even though it happens every single day around the world. What a glorious day. SJWs be like "a mass shooting by a guy who did it for a reason other than Islamism? This is our opportunity"

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Atlas Thugged
If you think Ali is a specific reference to a specific Caliph rather than a common name, you're a complete moron.

Not just any Caliph, according to Shia tradition, the very first Caliph. Their founder.

Shia = follower of Ali. You knew that right?

Amazing that Shi'ite parents would name their son after the founder of their sect, huh?

You are probably right, it is just a coincidence. Just like it is a complete coincidence so many Muslim men are called Mohammed, Muslim women Fatima etc etc...
Original post by admonit
BBC named him as David Sonboly. Have you ever heard about such Muslim name? :cool:

Do me a favour, google Ali Sonboly. How many hits do you get?

(I got 1,170,000 as a point of reference just now).

Then tell me why the PC BBC persist in calling him something other than the name his Muslim parents gave him?

Any idea?
I didn't say that this thread was made for the sole purpose of detracting from the loss of life or the ensued threat of Islamic terrorism in Europe.

In your saying I don't like facts, please explain to me where I've said, showed or implied anything to make you assume that I'm against the notion that the shooter in this case was not associated with radical Islam or my going against factual evidence. Once again, you're the one implying falsities.

Tanya, it is clear that the reason behind your creating this thread was to oppose the right who are trying to make a valid link between Islam and mass terror in Europe. I don't know what threads you're referring to in your saying that "all I see are right-wingers trying really hard to make this related to Islam", but there are only a small group of people proclaiming that the attack two days ago was a police cover-up or somehow associated with Islamic terror.

Also, stop ending every post you make with a snide comment because it speaks volumes about your personality and it doesn't make you sound witty.

I really will need proof from you that this thread was no more than relaying what the BBC has broadcasted as a fact, to inform people still going on about islamic terrorism that this has not been the case in this instance. Considering no one else has made a thread to confirm the shooter's motives (all I've seen are threads STILL speculating his race/religion/place of birth in a cheap attempt to demonise Islam), I found it necessary. Everything you replied with was wholly irrelevant, because I know how much of a problem Islamic extremism is in Europe and it was more or less fair to assume it when we first heard about Munich. But now that the FACTS are here, pushing that agenda only seems foolish and racist.

And I wouldn't need to end every reply to you with a snide comment if everything you said wasn't so insufferable and insulting of the left-wing. Oh look, I did it again!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by admonit

The BBC have now returned to calling him Ali.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07/23/bbc-fixes-munich-killer-article-following-breitbart-expose-muslim-name-cover/

The sad thing is that unsophisticated people are taken in by the BBC. They sadly don't get that far from being a respectable, unbiased news outlet, it endlessly pushes its own centre left agenda.
(edited 7 years ago)
The BBC have now returned to calling him Ali.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07/23/bbc-fixes-munich-killer-article-following-breitbart-expose-muslim-name-cover/

The sad thing is that unsophisticated people are taken in by the BBC. They sadly don't get that far from being a respectable, unbiased news outlet, it endlessly pushes its own centre left agenda.

Did you find the BBC biased and unrespectable when it informed us of the Nice attacks linked to Islamic terrorism?
Do me a favour, google Ali Sonboly. How many hits do you get?

(I got 1,170,000 as a point of reference just now).

Then tell me why the PC BBC persist in calling him something other than the name his Muslim parents gave him?

Any idea?

I meant relatively new article:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36878436

Other sources also mention David as a second name. Why do you think he had a Christian name?
In 2016 alone - we have bared witness to 1,274 Islamic terrorists attacks in over 50 countries, resulting in the deaths of 11,774 people and injuring a further 14,303. In the past fortnight here in Europe, France has experienced the death of 84 people at the hands of radical Islamic terror with over 200 injuries - not to mention the lone knife attacks which have taken place in Germany and France in the past two weeks as well. Islamic State is hellbent on inflicting misery on people who don't adhere to their skewed misinterpretation of Islam, more so in Europe given the role European powers have played in the military offensive against Islamic State arsenals in Iraq and Syria.

On the evening of the 22nd of June, we were informed of a shooting by a man outside a fast food restaurant just a few days after the tragedy in France. Given the pertinence of mass terror in Europe at the hands of radical Islam, I don't how one can denounce the presumption made by many members on this forum that this is likely to be related to Islamic State given recent events and the continuous threat they pose to European peace and freedom. Albeit the shooter in question - now we know - has no ties to Islamic State, the presumption otherwise was not an unfounded proclamation at the time.

I understand this thread was meant to appease left wingers who want to giggle and jeer at the noninvolvement of Islam, however the notion that this detracts from the horror which families would have went through on that evening or the incessant threat that Islamic State poses to the freedoms of western democracy has not been mitigated by the actions of one loner in the murdering of nine innocent people. The left are the people who have an utter inability to criticise the incompatibility of Islam in western society which is why far-right populism is thriving in many afore liberal European countries.

@WBZ144

What was the purpose of tagging me in your post?

And funny, some people use your country's abhorrent foreign policy and the deaths that it has caused on a mass scale to justify the rise of Islamism. You sound just like them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
I really will need proof from you that this thread was no more than relaying what the BBC has broadcasted as a fact, to inform people still going on about islamic terrorism that this has not been the case in this instance. Considering no one else has made a thread to confirm the shooter's motives (all I've seen are threads STILL speculating his race/religion/place of birth in a cheap attempt to demonise Islam), I found it necessary. Everything you replied with was wholly irrelevant, because I know how much of a problem Islamic extremism is in Europe and it was more or less fair to assume it when we first heard about Munich. But now that the FACTS are here, pushing that agenda only seems foolish and racist.

And I wouldn't need to end every reply to you with a snide comment if everything you said wasn't so insufferable and insulting of the left-wing. Oh look, I did it again!

I have asked you on a previous thread as to what you mean when you proclaim that the right are trying to push an "agenda" in making questionable the links the shooter may have had to radical Islam. If the right wanted to berate Islam for the incessant level of terror and violence inflicted on European soil by so-called Muslims then they have an abundance of examples - many from recent weeks - which would prove sufficient in arguing such a case; we both know another terror attack in Europe by radical Islamic Jihads is more about when as oppose to if. The shooter, in this instance, had seemingly no connection with the heinous practice of Islamic State and therefore I'll join you in denouncing the far-right who use such an event to drive misinformed conspiracies against the German police.

Here we come back to the hypocrisy in your post. You say I'm being insulting to the left wing for calling them out on their incessant need to ignore the failings of modern-day Islam and community cohesion yet in your earlier post you said that "right-wingers are trying really hard to make [the shooting] related to Islam". I'm right-wing, but not once following the press conference given by the German police have I tried to proclaim a conspiracy or that the shooter may indeed be affiliated with radical Islam. In your saying the rest of my post(s) were irrelevant, in that case this entire thread is irrelevant. Just because the shooter in this instance was not associated with radical Islam it doesn't offer any consolation to the ever-present threat Islamic terror poses to Europe or the death of the nine people two nights ago. The shooter was a loner who may have suffered from medical dispositions, therefore to inform us that this time it wasn't a Muslim - even though this year we've seen over 100 deaths from radical Muslims in Europe - is a bizarre announcement to make and offers no mitigation to the role Islam has played in inflicting misery on innocent people.

You call me insufferable, fine. I'll make sure I cry myself to sleep at night. However, let's remember that you're the one who's called me "sick", "disgusting" and "racist" in some of our earlier debates while I have never attacked you from a personal perspective. If my political views offend you, get over it. I have never said anything racist, homophobic, sexist or xenophobic so to call me insufferable is quite immature.
Reply 58
Original post by SirKyrgystan
Linking another article that seems to provide more clarity as to the shooters motives and mindstate
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/23/munich-shooting-german-iranian-gunman-targeted-children-outside/
Iranian kid targets Turkish and Arab youngsters as a result of bullying. No idea what that could be about.
I wonder if our friends over on ISOC have any thoughts?
Reply 59
Original post by Crassy
Mental illness and social failings can be exacerbated by multiculturalism. Sounds like he grew up alienated in an environment with no real identity, neither German nor Iranian.
It now sounds like there may be a sectarian element to this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending