Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My road to Oxford [BLOG]

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi people,

I am applying to Oxford for biological sciences and here I will be presenting how my application process is going (on weekly basis). I'll be talking about my grades, expectations, experiences, interview (If i get it) and a bunch of things...

This is my story (until now)

(Original post by BioOx)

Here am I stressed perusing through every bit of each Oxford thread. I am devastated and extremely worried. Each year I've been working my *** off just to achieve my dreams and I was doing it pretty well and doing so still. I want to acquire a dream , as the majority of us wants to...being able to study at Oxford. I have received a tremendous support from my family and I am grateful for that.
    I love studying and pushing my mind further the limits and believe it or not sciences mean everything to me. They are my dream, my passion and my love and doing things that I like in a wonderful place such as Oxford is priceless to me. If you were to ask me what is my main hobby I would say:"Doing sciences".

As you can probably assume I am an international (non-EU) student and I do not have numerous chances of getting a scholarship in UK (except of Oxbridge [>] and UCL[<]). Last year I won a scholarship and I am able to finish my last 2 years in an awesome school. Currently doing IB. I am planning to apply to St. Hugh's for biological sciences. My predicted is going probably to be 39 with 7 in Bio HL and 6 in Chem HL and English. Throughout my academic year I constantly received straight 7s (>90%) but my mock exams were not good because of extenuating circumstances. I tried to explain to my teacher why I did not achieve a good score on my mocks but he was not eager to understand me. Still I convinced him to give me an exam in of the whole year (but at that moment he had a weird facial expression as he was like telling me: " No matter what I am going to give you a 6" This really dampened my enthusiasm down and now I am really stressed since I think that grade is going to make it or brake it. Now be honest do you think that Oxford will accept me with the minimum of 766 that I have? There is one clear answer: NO. I have decided that I am going to suprise my teacher and instead of sitting a 1st year exam I am going to ask for the whole syllabus exam.

I think that only IB can lower my chances of getting into Oxford since my extracurricular and past academic achievements and grades were top notch. Here they are:

First place Primary school competition in Physics (prt. National Olympiad)
    First place Gymnasium competition in Biology
    First place Gymnasium competition in Geography (prt. National Olympiad)
    Diploma for exemplary results in my primary school (equivalent to 11*A in GCSE)
    Honors student in 9th and 10th grade for the best achieved results in the generation
    Participant of an International Science Challenge (biology)
    Summer School for gifted students in Chemistry
    Head of a school group of Bioinformatics
    Work experience in Bioinformatics Institute in my country
    Work experience in professional Laboratories
    Supervisor of the Chemistry Labs

Awarded the best delegate in a conference for environmental sustainability

Robotics programming and hardware development
    What am I planning to do in he next weeks:

IELTS on 4th of August
    Study chemistry (still I do not know will I be able to sit the exams)
    Work in a lab
    Read a book (Richard Dawkins)
    Finish my PS
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.