Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maintenance Loan Eligibility

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I have just recently found out that, if you're an EU national, you have to have lived for at least 5 years in the UK before the start of your course in order to apply for a maintenance loan.

    I thought the requirement was in fact of 3 years residency? I still think it was and they just changed it recently (I'm assuming in March).

    Now having found out about this so late, I'm stuck with having to apply as an EU national and only receiving a loan for tuition fees, even though I have been living in the UK for 3 years.

    Is there anything I can do to qualify for the UK loan? Surely if the law was changed so suddenly and recently, I shouldn't have to suffer through having my financial plans ruined.

    Unfortunately the new law does apply to you. Perversely, if you were living in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland then you would be able to get a maintenance loan. Bit unfair but those are the rules.

    The only way around this is if you are working. Apparently migrant workers who "have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area, including the UK, and/or Switzerland for three years remain eligible for full support; the work must not be marginal and the student must continue to work throughout the course of study." If you don't work then you will either have to find a way to support yourself without loans, or wait 2 years.
    • Thread Starter

    Thank youu for the help, I appreciate it
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.