The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Either my religion or none
As a Christian woman, I wouldn't mind what religion my partner was, only that they were a feminist.
[edited]

Very important. It's the first thing I look at
[edited]
However to awnser your question, I do consider myself to be religious and would want a husband who is at the same 'level' as me or slightly more religious than me.
Important.
For me it is very important that they have the same beliefs. I feel that if they don't it could lead to arguments as I like to discuss issues surrounding religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Extremely important, I will only ever marry the Pope.
Not important though I wouldn't be with someone who is strongly religious. I would also not be with someone what was set on making our children follow their religion.
[edited]

Seriously :erm: OP here but - to focus on your question - any partner/wife of mine would need to be Catholic or high Anglican. I don't see how it would work otherwise :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ideally they would have the same religion. But I don't mind either way, so long as they are the best sort of person who I like. :smile:
Reply 12
[edited]
dating wise I wouldn't mind non religious as long a they weren't corrupting my relationship with God or my beliefs
But I think at the end of the day you can't marry someone who isn't the same religion because I need to be able to raise a family with God at the head of the house with no conflict
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Seriously :erm: OP here but - to focus on your question - any partner/wife of mine would need to be Catholic or high Anglican. I don't see how it would work otherwise :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile

With all due respect, why not? I see many people saying that their religious status has to be similar, but I don't get why that would have to be the case. Maybe this is just coming from me, as an atheist, but I see people being so insistent on their partner's religion as pretty odd, unless said people are strongly religious and wish to have a largely religious basis to their relationship. (which I doubt is the case for everyone here) This isn't an attempt to ridicule, but rather curiousity :smile:
Original post by _gcx
With all due respect, why not? I see many people saying that their religious status has to be similar, but I don't get why that would have to be the case. Maybe this is just coming from me, as an atheist, but I see people being so insistent on their partner's religion as pretty odd, unless said people are strongly religious and wish to have a largely religious basis to their relationship. (which I doubt is the case for everyone here) This isn't an attempt to ridicule, but rather curiousity :smile:

Because for many people their religious beliefs are part of who they are and the way they life their life. I doubt there's many a devout Christian/Muslim whatever who would, in the long term, be able to be with somebody who is a strong atheist. Same thing for atheists.

People from different religions may have similar issues but it may be easier as most religions have the same fundamental values.

Then you have the issue of which religion the kids are brainwashed into.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Because for many people their religious beliefs are part of who they are and the way they life their life. I doubt there's many a devout Christian/Muslim whatever who would, in the long term, be able to be with somebody who is a strong atheist. Same thing for atheists.

People from different religions may have similar issues but it may be easier as most religions have the same fundamental values.

Then you have the issue of which religion the kids are brainwashed into.

I m a strong atheist but i guess as my fiancee only believes in god rather than following a specific religion, it's never caused us any issues as we have the same morals and values . As for our kids, we're going to try to educate them as to both of our religious view points, answer any questions they have in life and then leave them to make their own choices.
Original post by _gcx

Put it this way: how would you feel if you were living with/married to a devout-albeit-badly-behaved Roman Catholic (me) who insisted on putting saints' statues and holy water everywhere; who wanted to go on pilgrimages instead of holidays; who wanted to have the local parish priest over to the house semi-regularly, and who would insist that any offspring are raised Roman Catholic? :tongue: Would it not make you very uneasy? If I were atheist it would make me hopping mad and I would be unable to see a viable lifetime together :nope: I wouldn't wanna live like that :nope:

(NB. This is all hypothetical in my case since I have no intention of ever entering a relationship or having children :tongue: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im a Christian teenage boy, and my wife would have to be Christian - a passionate born again one, simply because i would like to share my faith
[edited]

Grew up Christian and don't think I could marry someone who hasn't grown up Christian or even supports the concept of Christianity. It just makes things less complicated especially if children become involved.
Original post by _gcx

One of the main reasons is because in the Bible we aren't not supposed to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. So God is against Christians being in such a relationship with people who aren't Christian. I also don't see the difference with being strongly religious or not. You're either religious and actually follow it all or you're not.

Latest