Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

can i go into law without doing a degree in law????? helpppp

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

(Original post by J-SP)
    I agree with your point about not touching the GDL or LPC until you know for sure this is what you want to do. The issue of sponsorship is not that straight forward for a lot of legal careers, a minority of people entering the legal professions will secure sponsorship prior to starting the course.I've seen plenty of graduates who are not career changers get recruited. Yes, they have a fair amount of work to do to pursue the career, but it is something that can easily be achieved through some work experience, networking and research. It doesn't take that long if your determined enough. I've seen people do it within 3 months, which is no time at all really.Just because someone has thought they wanted to be a lawyer since they were 14 and have all the things people think are tick boxes on their CV (e.g. president of the law society etc), doesn't mean they are suitable. In fact they can sometimes be the worst candidates were their career motivation/expectation is driven by a dream rather than reality.
    I agree with you . My relative , on starting the GDL worked one day a week in a law firm and also did Pro Bono work which demonstrated their drive . Even though their journalism career was short term contracts , apart from an annual holiday they had never not worked which demonstrated a strong work ethic . I feel this is worth mentioning as on application forms they were asked to explain any gaps that were not studying / work / annual holiday .
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.