Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Am I a failure in life if I don't do medicine?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

(Original post by jerrymens)
    http://www.fparcp.co.uk/ Just go on there and you would get all the beneficial information you need.
    OP expressed an interest in surgery. How is becoming a noctor going to fulfill that?

(Original post by Lularose83)
    Ok, so I've wanted to study medicine for the past 2 years or so. I have just come back from medical work experience abroad and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would- the only experience that made me feel a spark of passion was observing surgery. However, I want to have a family and understand that entering surgery, for a female doctor, can be quite tricky. My a level results come out next month and I think I have achieved AAA- AAB, but I can't know for sure. I worked as hard as I possibly could, but feel they could have done better. I don't really want to try GEM if I don't get the grades next month either. So I'm considering doing a degree in neuroscience after my gap year (this year). However, my family are really encouraging about medicine and would be a bit disappointed if I did neuroscience (because what can I actually do with my life after the degree is over??).

So basically I'm in a bit of mess. I think I want to be a doctor, but then I also want to live a happy and free life. I probably feel this way just because of nerves in relation to results day

So, does doing a science degree other than medicine make me less likely to succeed in life/ have a job I love??
    Hi Lularose

How are you feeling about things now?

This is clearly a difficult decision for you but please do try not to worry. As you said, this is probably in part related to the fast approaching results day and you might feel entirely differently after that.

It is interesting that you say that you have wanted to study medicine for the past 2 years but that now having done some medical work experience you may have changed your mind. Did something happen during the work experience that has put you off? Or was it just not what you expected?

Ultimately as others have already said to you, you need to decide for yourself what you would like to study and what your future career will be.

You might want to read this blog post as I am sure there are elements in this that you will be able to relate to.

I hope that is of some use to you. Please don't worry, I am sure you will make the right choice for you. Good luck with your results!

Do give me a shout if you have any questions I can answer.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.