Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Why do people say they graduate with 'honours'?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I always write BA hons because that's what I got. Never heard anyone brag about the honours in conversation though, that seems odd :beard:
    Yeah that's what I formally put on my own CV. Everyone seems to think I have issue with referring to a degree as a Bsc/ Ba (Hons) which I don't!! I'm simply referring to the context of conversation, which I agree I find a bit odd. I've just heard a few friends recently saying how they've graduated with honours. For example, something along the lines of 'so proud to say I've graduated with a 2:1/ First honours!'. I think some people think it's similar to America, where you can become an honours student if you achieve high grades. I know it's petty to some, but it's just one thing which annoys me.

    Although I am probably overly modest to the extent where I'm nearing self-depreciating, so the thought of saying to someone I've graduated with honours makes me cringe a little.
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    I thought it was that too but Puddles just told me it was because of the amount of credits you do.
    It is regarding the amount of credits, but it just so happens that a dissertation usually consist of a large amount of credits compared to individual modules. It's not so much of a requirement, but because a dissertation is a large piece of work, it tends to hold a large number of credits, and so is associated with honours degrees.

    You don't have to have a dissertation to have an honours degree. My university gives the option for those studying joint honours degrees to not take a dissertation but instead an extra module. It's still an honours degree.

    In conversation I think I would find it odd to use the full title as sounds way too formal. Normally I would just say that I have a degree in x or a bachelors in x (and if asked would volunteer the classification...). The BA (Hons) is for when I have to fill in forms as they ask for the qualification and that is the name of it.

    (Original post by Hamo2509)
    I was told that a degree with honours includes a 3rd year dissertation, whereas a degree without doesn't. Understandable why you'd put that on your CV, etc.
    Nope, that's false. I have a 2:1 degree that was based on exams and coursework but no dissertation, and it's certainly an honours degree.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources


Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:



Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.