The Student Room Group

Funding options for changing degree/second degree

Currently on my way to final year of my NHS student bursary funded degree. Always believed the myth that as I have not used student finance, I would still be entitled to it and can therefore obtain a second degree. However, they confirmed that this is not true. They would only fund individuals who have not reached degree level.

They may fund me however, if I do not complete my course, and I fund myself completely during the first year of the course I would like to do.

Would like to know if there are any other options that would allow me to get full funding for an undergraduate degree such as a scholarship?
Also, if you are an individual with or studying a second degree, how did you manage this financially?

I believe that there are scholarships available for women that want to pursue STEM subjects? Would I be eligible if I were to complete my current degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One thing to consider is you do qualify for funding if your next STEM degree is taken part-time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
One thing to consider is you do qualify for funding if your next STEM degree is taken part-time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your input. I would like to know where you found this information? Do you know if I will be fully funded for 3 or 4 years doing a STEM degree? I am looking at doing engineering with foundation year.

Thanks
Reply 3
What are you currently studying and what you like to study?
Reply 4
Original post by theike
Currently on my way to final year of my NHS student bursary funded degree. Always believed the myth that as I have not used student finance, I would still be entitled to it and can therefore obtain a second degree. However, they confirmed that this is not true. They would only fund individuals who have not reached degree level.

They may fund me however, if I do not complete my course, and I fund myself completely during the first year of the course I would like to do.

Would like to know if there are any other options that would allow me to get full funding for an undergraduate degree such as a scholarship?
Also, if you are an individual with or studying a second degree, how did you manage this financially?

I believe that there are scholarships available for women that want to pursue STEM subjects? Would I be eligible if I were to complete my current degree?

The fact that it is a government funded NHS bursary degree, means that you have used up student funding. You can however do a masters after you complete this degree, and get a £10k loan towards this. Whatever you do, don't drop out now okay??
Reply 5
Original post by theike
Thanks for your input. I would like to know where you found this information? Do you know if I will be fully funded for 3 or 4 years doing a STEM degree? I am looking at doing engineering with foundation year.

Thanks

Tagging @Snufkin for more expert knowledge.
Reply 6
Original post by Abclkj
What are you currently studying and what you like to study?

Currently studying nursing. Would like to study Engineering with a foundation degree.
Reply 7
Original post by john2054
The fact that it is a government funded NHS bursary degree, means that you have used up student funding. You can however do a masters after you complete this degree, and get a £10k loan towards this. Whatever you do, don't drop out now okay??

Would not like to drop out now, however, if I have the opportunity to do a fully funded course that can open more doors for what I want to achieve then I will take it.

The MA that I would pursue however would have to relate to nursing...?
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Tagging @Snufkin for more expert knowledge.

Thank you.
Reply 9
Original post by theike
Would not like to drop out now, however, if I have the opportunity to do a fully funded course that can open more doors for what I want to achieve then I will take it.

The MA that I would pursue however would have to relate to nursing...?

Yes i don't think you can do two undergraduate degrees. Especially if sfe have told you so much.
Reply 11
Original post by john2054
Yes i don't think you can do two undergraduate degrees. Especially if sfe have told you so much.

However, I have not completed this degree. Asked SFE if they would consider funding me if I drop out, and they said yes. However, I would not be fully funded for one year but would be for the years after.

So my question is if there is any way they can fund me fully, instead of skipping funding for my first year. And what if that year is a foundation year?
I know there is a current push for women to enter STEM fields, would that influence my assessment?

They did say I would need to be assessed and to fill in a PN1 form.

Don't know if you can answer all these question, but maybe you can refer me to someone who can?...
Reply 12

Thank you for this article. The statement:
"Some relaxation of the restrictions on the funding of equivalent and lower qualifications (‘second degrees’) in STEM subjects is planned" gives me hope. However, are you aware of further information regarding this?
I think there are various sources of bursaries/scholarships which can help out but between 9k+ of fees plus living costs you need a lot more than you are going to get through any of those sources, you would have to work beforehand and save up
Reply 14
Original post by theike
Thank you for this article. The statement:
"Some relaxation of the restrictions on the funding of equivalent and lower qualifications (‘second degrees’) in STEM subjects is planned" gives me hope. However, are you aware of further information regarding this?

It was confirmed in a recent statement by the government.

There's also this on bursaries for women in science.
https://www.wisecampaign.org.uk/funding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by doodle_333
I think there are various sources of bursaries/scholarships which can help out but between 9k+ of fees plus living costs you need a lot more than you are going to get through any of those sources, you would have to work beforehand and save up

I am only concerned about my first year of funding as that is the one SFE was not willing to fund. More specifically the 9K tuition fee (which is still a big deal) part of my first year. I can manage other aspect and more than willing to work and save money (as I already do).

Are there any bursaries/scholarships you can refer me to?
Reply 16
Original post by jneill
It was confirmed in a recent statement by the government.

There's also this on bursaries for women in science.
https://www.wisecampaign.org.uk/funding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if this would men that SFE would fully fund my course as it is in the STEM field?

Thank you
Reply 17
Original post by theike
Do you know if this would men that SFE would fully fund my course as it is in the STEM field?

Thank you

Yes, but part-time study only.
Afaik.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theike
However, I have not completed this degree. Asked SFE if they would consider funding me if I drop out, and they said yes. However, I would not be fully funded for one year but would be for the years after.

So my question is if there is any way they can fund me fully, instead of skipping funding for my first year. And what if that year is a foundation year?
I know there is a current push for women to enter STEM fields, would that influence my assessment?

They did say I would need to be assessed and to fill in a PN1 form.

Don't know if you can answer all these question, but maybe you can refer me to someone who can?...

What makes you think that you would get a place on a stem degree, let alone complete one, let alone get a good grade at one. Why don't you complete what you have started. Stem is very different from nursing you know??
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
Yes, but part-time study only.
Afaik.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afaik?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending