Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Masters or PhD funding dilemma

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi i have quite a dilemma and was hoping for some advice.

    I was hoping to apply for an MPhil via progression to PhD. Having looked at the postgraduate loan eligibility, MPhils are eligible but only on their own. Therefore if i want the funding I cant progress to PhD as i wont be eligible.

    I know there is likely to be funding for phd students, but not until 2018.

    So the question is...do i complete a standalone Mphil now with funding, and complete a phd later? Or do i wait until 2018 whrn i can get a phd loan?
    I could just forget about the loan altogether but it would mean being skint for the next 6 years!

    Whether or not getting an MPhil is a good idea is really field dependent. In my field for example it's seen as a failed PhD which is not what you want! Why not do an MRes instead or even an MSc and then think about the PhD? It'll definitely help with PhD admissions.
    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for the advice! Yeah ive seen lots about the mphil being seen as a failed phd which i obviously dont want.

    Ohh ive not thought about doing an Masters by research. It seems quite similar to the mphil what is the main difference?

    Again very dependent on subject but in my field it looks like you usually do an MPhil if you're upgrading to a PhD though you can exit with just the MPhil. I think it's something in between an MSc and an MRes in that you spend some time being taught as you would in an MSc and some time doing research as you would in an MRes. The amount of taught time is less than an MSc but more than an MRes and the amount of research time is more than an MSc but less than an MRes. With an MRes you may also have to do more than one project or rotations which may or may not be the case with an MPhil. I think the short answer is that it varies so check with unis you're interested in.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2016
Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.