The Student Room Group

Going to dentist for first time since years of bulimia help/advice

I'm 21 now and probably haven't been to the dentist since i was around 15. Since then i have gone through purges and bulimia, which has come and gone over the years. I always take really good care of my teeth since its something i'm quite conscious about, so they appear fairly white/straigh,t however i know for certain my back teeth are ruined and my dentist will obviously be able to tell it's from being sick.

I am finally trying to gain the confidence to go to a dentist however i have a few questions.

I have moved house in the last year and since it has probably been around 6 years since i last went to the dentist, will i still be registered at my old one under the NHS?

Will they ask me about eating disorders since they will be able to tell?

For prices online it says ' Band 2 course of treatment £53.90 This covers everything listed in Band 1, plus any further treatment such as fillings' - Would this price be per filling done for example or would it cover multiple works that need to be done?

How long do you usually have to wait for appointments? Will i automatically be able to get NHS prices or will it be private?

Sorry if my questions seem silly, am quite nervous about going/planning this. Would appreciate any help or advice:redface:
Most dentists periodically purge their records of patients who have not attended the surgery for a long time. You will almost certainly need to re-register.

You should probably tell your dentist about your experience with eating disorders as it may impact any treatment you need. Your dentist is a medical professional and will treat this information in absolute confidence. No matter how bad you think it is they will always have seen worse.

How long you have to wait will depend on which surgery you are planning to attend and how many patients they have waiting for NHS appointments. No one can answer that question for you except the surgery you want to register with.

No one on the internet can tell you what any treatment you need will cost either. Your dentist will carry out an assessment and should let you know about any expenses you'll incur before carrying out any procedures. If you are being seen as an NHS patient you will get NHS prices although you might have the opportunity to be seen as a private patient which will come with additional costs but maybe some benefits too.

Quick Reply

Latest