Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pokemon Go question

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I have 4 Pidgeottos in my poke index: 180CP, 170, 98 and 97.

I want to get rid of 3 of them as I don't like duplicates in my collection - but have I missed the point here? Is there a reason why I would need more than 1?

I will probably never have enough Pidgeotto candies to evolve them to the next level, so why keep them? I may as well hand them back to Professor Willow

You're partly missing something. There's no real drawback to keeping multiples either, unless they're actually taking up necessary space.

You won't need Pidgeotto candies to evolve them. They use Pidgy candies. An evolution line uses the candies of it's basic evolution. And given how common Pidgy is you shouldn't have any trouble finding enough candies to evolve them all.

But imagine you kept the 2 highest Pidgeotto. Maybe you end up with 2 Pidgeot (not unreasonable). And maybe you put one in a gym. You go to challenge another gym and wish you had a flying type. Well you do because you have that second one. Maybe you keep all 4. Maybe you put all 4 in different gyms. That's fine too.

You don't really benefit or lose out from having just one. If you really want to get rid of all but one though consider which of the top 2 you ditch. It might seem obvious to keep the 180CP but maybe the 170CP has better moves.

Having multiple high level Pokemon is the entire idea of the game. Even if those Pokemon are the same. You're free to drop them in multiple gyms or keep some with you for battles. Later on when trading is introduced you also get trade fodder.

As you progress through the levels you'll walk into higher CP level Pokémon, as well as low level.

For the example of pidgey and its evolutions, I would transfer all you lowest CP pidgeys so that you can get pidgey candy to power up your higher level pidgeys ready for evolution to Pigeotto.

Remember to max out pidgeys before evolving.

AFAIK it's useless to evolve or train any Pokémon up at all until you reach around level 20-25 because the CP of the Pokémon you catch scales with your level.

Say, for example, I catch an Eevee with 10CP. I want to evolve it, so I pump it full of Stardust to level it (although whether you should level then evolve, or evolve and then level, is another matter entirely) whilst catching more to get the Candy from transferring them required to evolve it. And during said catching, I catch one that has 200CP. See what I mean?

Ultimately, it depends on what you're hoping to achieve: are you going to use those Pidgeotto's to challenge a gym, or are they merely part of the collection?
    If it's the former, then paying attention to their moveset can be quite important (although I've heard that the moves can change after an evolution, which throws everything up in the air a bit).
    Some have said that a Pokémon with two types of moves (for Pidgeotto, Normal and Flying are most likely) is handy because of the versatility if offers... that being said, a Bulbasaur with a Normal move wouldn't get the STAB bonus from it (because it's a Grass Pokémon and not a Normal one).

Tl;dr: so many factors, so little time.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.