The Student Room Group

If/when you get married who would you like to walk the down the aisle?

^^
I've very recently gotten engaged and one thing i m really unsure about is who to ask (if anyone) to walk me down the aisle, as my father passed away when i was 9. I m considering either asking my mum and sister or doing it alone or getting my fiancee to walk me.
(I know like many life events i m going to miss my dad not being but i don't know if doing it alone will make it more painful).
So i thought I'd ask tsr who they want to walk them or if you want to forget that tradition entirely?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by claireestelle
^^
I've very recently gotten engaged and one thing i m really unsure about is who to ask (if anyone) to walk me down the aisle, as my father passed away when i was 9. I m considering either asking my mum and sister or doing it alone or getting my fiancee to walk me.
(I know like many life events i m going to miss my dad not being but i don't know if doing it alone will make it more painful).
So i thought I'd ask tsr who they want to walk them or if you want to forget that tradition entirely?

First of all congratulations!!!! I hope it's a great day for you :h:

Second I'm sure you know that the walking down the aisle ect. Is all to do with the symbolism of the father giving away his daughter. With this in mind I'd probably choose the person you are closest to who isn't your fience. It may seem strange but in a way they are probably the one loosing you more (not much) than anyone else, if not then I would probably say sister and mum would be fine. Ultimately you want the person who will support you the most.
Original post by Aph
First of all congratulations!!!! I hope it's a great day for you :h:

Second I'm sure you know that the walking down the aisle ect. Is all to do with the symbolism of the father giving away his daughter. With this in mind I'd probably choose the person you are closest to who isn't your fience. It may seem strange but in a way they are probably the one loosing you more (not much) than anyone else, if not then I would probably say sister and mum would be fine. Ultimately you want the person who will support you the most.

Thank you for the congratulations :smile: Yes i know its to do with symbolism, hence why i m not sure whether to bother with the tradition of it at all (i'm not bothering with many other wedding traditions, such as having a veil and a cake) . I'm closest to my friends who will be bridesmaids after my fiancee, so i think my mum and sister could be the ones if i don't end up deciding to walking alone.
I've read of some brides asking grandparents or other male relatives (but it feels wrong asking them to do it as dad's parents have passed away as well ).
Reply 3
I'd like both my mum and dad to walk me down the aisle. My mum has already expressed that she would like to do so and I'd have no problem with that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lonyeka
I'd like both my mum and dad to walk me down the aisle. My mum had already expressed that she would like to do so and I'd have problem with that.

Having both your parents do it, sounds lovely and very modern :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you for the congratulations :smile: Yes i know its to do with symbolism, hence why i m not sure whether to bother with the tradition of it at all (i'm not bothering with many other wedding traditions, such as having a veil and a cake) . I'm closest to my friends who will be bridesmaids after my fiancee, so i think my mum and sister could be the ones if i don't end up deciding to walking alone.
I've read of some brides asking grandparents or other male relatives (but it feels wrong asking them to do it as dad's parents have passed away as well ).
youre doing away with cake:eek: personally I'd have gone with the older tradition that each guest (or family) brings a tier of cake with them as part of their gift (to do with symbolising the coming together of everyone to support you and help in your marriage) and the wedding cake is then assembled on the day as people arrive.

And as you are having doubts I feel like your mother and sister would be best :smile: because otherwise you might get that self-fulfilling proficy and start getting sad about your dad because you are worried that you will.
Reply 6
^^

My left hand
Original post by Aph
youre doing away with cake:eek: personally I'd have gone with the older tradition that each guest (or family) brings a tier of cake with them as part of their gift (to do with symbolising the coming together of everyone to support you and help in your marriage) and the wedding cake is then assembled on the day as people arrive.

And as you are having doubts I feel like your mother and sister would be best :smile: because otherwise you might get that self-fulfilling proficy and start getting sad about your dad because you are worried that you will.

Yes but the cake, is being replaced by a stack of krispy kreme doughnuts, much more yummy, much more us (it's a regular haunt for us) and more filling for all the guests to eat than a small piece of wedding cake (not to mention great value for money) :smile: I mean doesnt this look so tasty?

You're right it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy, although i have managed not to cry the past couple of events where i'd miss my dad (i've yet to get too unhappy that i couldn't tell him yesterday) but at least brides crying at their weddings is pretty normal if i do end up doing so:P
Reply 8
Yes but the cake, is being replaced by a stack of krispy kreme doughnuts, much more yummy, much more us (it's a regular haunt for us) and more filling for all the guests to eat than a small piece of wedding cake (not to mention great value for money) :smile: I mean doesnt this look so tasty?

You're right it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy, although i have managed not to cry the past couple of events where i'd miss my dad (i've yet to get too unhappy that i couldn't tell him yesterday) but at least brides crying at their weddings is pretty normal if i do end up doing so:P

:drool: I had no idea that that existed!!!

And either way good luck :h:
Original post by Aph
:drool: I had no idea that that existed!!!

And either way good luck :h:

Everything exists when it comes to weddings, told you it was yummy:P Thank you :smile:
My mum and papa are walking me down the aisle. I hope that my papa is still alive for my wedding in 2019. He should be but with him having kidney failure and being on the transplant list, you never know what is around the corner. We did think about having the wedding sooner but he has to have his op and recover so with the wedding being a good 2 years away, he has time to get the op and recover, fingers crossed! Docs are confident he'll have another match before the end of this year. If God forbid anything does happen to him then it'll just be my mum walking me down the aisle.

I walked my mum down the aisle with my papa this year at her wedding and it was honestly one of the proudest moments of my life :love:
100% my mum, only fatherly figures in my life have been awful. I see my mum as my only parent so

Oh my god can I come to your wedding :frown::frown:
Original post by Spock's Socks
My mum and papa are walking me down the aisle. I hope that my papa is still alive for my wedding in 2019. He should be but with him having kidney failure and being on the transplant list, you never know what is around the corner. We did think about having the wedding sooner but he has to have his op and recover so with the wedding being a good 2 years away, he has time to get the op and recover, fingers crossed! Docs are confident he'll have another match before the end of this year. If God forbid anything does happen to him then it'll just be my mum walking me down the aisle.

I walked my mum down the aisle with my papa this year at her wedding and it was honestly one of the proudest moments of my life :love:

Having both your mum and your papa sounds lovely <3 (i think i would have asked my grandad if he was still with us) I wish him a speedy recovery, i bet it will be a proud day for him to walk you down the aisle:smile:
^^

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rxns_00
100% my mum, only fatherly figures in my life have been awful. I see my mum as my only parent so

Oh my god can I come to your wedding :frown::frown:

I can understand that you see your mum as you're only parent that she should walk you down the aisle, glad to see many people approve of the doughnut cake idea :smile:
Original post by babyshawte
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
No one, marriage is stupid.
^^

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll become a beautiful and successful young lady, but you probably already are lol :biggrin:
Sorry to hear that, :frown:
Maybe an older brother if you have one, and your mum?
Personally I would have my dad because I'm a daddy's girl, but I wouldn't mind mum tagging along too :smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll become a beautiful and successful young lady, but you probably already are lol :biggrin:
Sorry to hear that, :frown:
Maybe an older brother if you have one, and your mum?
Personally I would have my dad because I'm a daddy's girl, but I wouldn't mind mum tagging along too :smile:

Thank you:smile: I dont have a brother, my much younger half sister is my only sibling. If i could have done, i think i would have decided to have both my parents (although i was a daddy's girl really).
Congratulations!

I won't be having anyone walking me down the aisle / giving me away, purely because I'm not a fan of the tradition. I get that some people do, though, and so sorry about your dad.*

Quick Reply

Latest