The Student Room Group

Dilemma ( Long read, help greatly appreciated)

Hi, I am an international student from Malaysia that could be joining Imperial College London this year taking BSc Geophysics/Geology. However, the dilemma of entry begins with the problem of VALUE OF MONEY.Imperial College London charges the international student a ridiculous sum of 26,700 pounds per annum. I have been thinking about the opportunity cost and value for the money for half a year now and I still could not make up my mind. I made a list of pros/cons that hopefully some of you could add to with your own constructive inputs. I would truly appreciate the help a lot! :smile:
Pros ( As expected of a world class university)

1) Better graduate prospect ( Reputation of university and delivery of the course) Imperial currently ranked no.1 for geoscience in the UK

2) State of the art facilities and lecturers that are great and experienced in the field

3) Out of comfort zone ( Highly motivated and independence)

4) Experience a new culture

5) Once in a lifetime opportunity

6) Greater connections (Assumption)7) Great crowd? ( My thoughts are that anyone that manages to enter Imperial College London is students that are competent and highly motivated in their academic pursuits) ( Not saying other unis students are different but Imperial does have strict requirements/interviews to enter)8) With such a great amount of money invested, it would extremely pressuring to perform as there is no way out/back . ( Drive to excel)

Cons ( MONEY )
1) 26,700 per annum, assume 3 years (BSc) = Rm430,000 ( And that's just the tuition fees)

2) With such a great amount of money, it would extremely pressuring to perform as there is no way out/back. ( If the course is unsuitable even though I have tried my best to ensure that the probability of that happening is low, I would ultimately be super stress)

3) Unemployment ( Geology depends on a lot of commodities, salary depends on the luck of the tide)

4) I must find a job in the UK or else it would be impossible to pay back such a huge debt. Ringgit is a hopeless currency.If I end up working back in my home country, I am pretty much doomed. ( Job prospect for an international student at the UK? )
In summary : it all boils down to the VALUE of the money that I cannot come to a conclusion as there are just too many uncertain variables involved and I am a person that overthinks a lot.To pay for education, should we look at it merely as a monetary investment?
(edited 7 years ago)
Only you can determine whether Imperial offers good value for money.

But for what it's worth, if I was in your position, I would not go to Imperial. Their fees are very high and so is the cost of living in London. I don't think a degree from any university is worth £100,000. I don't think Imperial is no.1 for geosciences either. Rankings change every year and frankly, they shouldn't be trusted. Cambridge, Oxford, UCL/Birkbeck, Edinburgh and Durham are all as good as Imperial for geology. What other universities did you apply to?

Maybe @Zottula (not sure if she still comes on TSR) and @Plagioclase can help?
Original post by TimTheMalaysian
Hi, I am an international student from Malaysia that could be joining Imperial College London this year taking BSc Geophysics/Geology. However, the dilemma of entry begins with the problem of VALUE OF MONEY.Imperial College London charges the international student a ridiculous sum of 26,700 pounds per annum. I have been thinking about the opportunity cost and value for the money for half a year now and I still could not make up my mind. I made a list of pros/cons that hopefully some of you could add to with your own constructive inputs. I would truly appreciate the help a lot! :smile:
Pros ( As expected of a world class university)

1) Better graduate prospect ( Reputation of university and delivery of the course) Imperial currently ranked no.1 for geoscience in the UK

2) State of the art facilities and lecturers that are great and experienced in the field

3) Out of comfort zone ( Highly motivated and independence)

4) Experience a new culture

5) Once in a lifetime opportunity

6) Greater connections (Assumption)7) Great crowd? ( My thoughts are that anyone that manages to enter Imperial College London is students that are competent and highly motivated in their academic pursuits) ( Not saying other unis students are different but Imperial does have strict requirements/interviews to enter)8) With such a great amount of money invested, it would extremely pressuring to perform as there is no way out/back . ( Drive to excel)

Cons ( MONEY )
1) 26,700 per annum, assume 3 years (BSc) = Rm430,000 ( And that's just the tuition fees)

2) With such a great amount of money, it would extremely pressuring to perform as there is no way out/back. ( If the course is unsuitable even though I have tried my best to ensure that the probability of that happening is low, I would ultimately be super stress)

3) Unemployment ( Geology depends on a lot of commodities, salary depends on the luck of the tide)

4) I must find a job in the UK or else it would be impossible to pay back such a huge debt. Ringgit is a hopeless currency.If I end up working back in my home country, I am pretty much doomed. ( Job prospect for an international student at the UK? )
In summary : it all boils down to the VALUE of the money that I cannot come to a conclusion as there are just too many uncertain variables involved and I am a person that overthinks a lot.To pay for education, should we look at it merely as a monetary investment?

This is not my area of expertise at all, but I've read enough responses from more qualified people than myself to say that I don't think you will find it easy to get a visa to work in the UK.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
This is not my area of expertise at all, but I've read enough responses from more qualified people than myself to say that I don't think you will find it easy to get a visa to work in the UK.

That is actually one of my main concern that I need somebody that is actually in the field to answer me. How great is the chance for an international student to land a job that would be paying pounds?
Original post by Snufkin

But for what it's worth, if I was in your position, I would not go to Imperial. Their fees are very high and so is the cost of living in London. I don't think a degree from any university is worth £100,000. I don't think Imperial is no.1 for geosciences either. Rankings change every year and frankly, they shouldn't be trusted. Cambridge, Oxford, UCL/Birkbeck, Edinburgh and Durham are all as good as Imperial for geology. What other universities did you apply to?

Original post by Snufkin

I firmed Imperial College London already as I needed a prestigious university in order to compete for scholarships. However, the economic situation in Malaysia has gone from bad to worst recently. Scholarships are impossible! Thank you for your input anyways, value of money is really difficult to judge.
Reply 5
I wouldn't pay that much for any degree tbh. Would you qualify to study for free or less in your home country?
Original post by Abclkj
I wouldn't pay that much for any degree tbh. Would you qualify to study for free or less in your home country?

There is always free education provided by the government. To summarise the viewpoint on why am I even considering Imperial even though financially it is a big burden is because of the quality of education in the country and sadly the management of everything in general.

There are other options that I am considering and Imperial is one of them,that's why I want some extra input. I would say this, if I would take a course locally, it definitely would not be any science related courses unless I enter some of the UK./Australia campus here( Does not offer geology) R&D is literally dead here.
Original post by TimTheMalaysian
There is always free education provided by the government. To summarise the viewpoint on why am I even considering Imperial even though financially it is a big burden is because of the quality of education in the country and sadly the management of everything in general.

There are other options that I am considering and Imperial is one of them,that's why I want some extra input. I would say this, if I would take a course locally, it definitely would not be any science related courses unless I enter some of the UK./Australia campus here( Does not offer geology) R&D is literally dead here.

Birkbeck College (part of the University of London) does a distance learning geology degree (total cost is around £39,000 for overseas students). If money is an issue then this might be a very good option; you will still receive a top education but for a far smaller price tag. http://www.distancelearninggeology.org/

I don't think a degree from Imperial is going to make you more employable than a degree from Birkbeck, it will be hard for you to get a job in the UK either way.
perhaps you could do NUS/NTU? how's your subject there? it's closer to home and hopefully less tuition fee
Original post by Snufkin
Birkbeck College (part of the University of London) does a distance learning geology degree (total cost is around £39,000 for overseas students). If money is an issue then this might be a very good option; you will still receive a top education but for a far smaller price tag. http://www.distancelearninggeology.org/

I don't think a degree from Imperial is going to make you more employable than a degree from Birkbeck, it will be hard for you to get a job in the UK either way.

Wow! Did not know such thing exist. However, I don't think it is quite a wise decision to do a science course with a huge practical aspect to it.(IMO) Employability, wish I could get my hands on more data. Thank you for the information !
Original post by forbiddenforest
perhaps you could do NUS/NTU? how's your subject there? it's closer to home and hopefully less tuition fee

A-Levels ( Economics,Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics)

One of the pros that i stated was (Out of comfort zone). I honestly think Singaporean are pretty similar to Malaysian, I have traveled there quite a number of times as I have relatives there.

On the other hand, it is impossible for me to get a place in NUS/NTU....I am not really a person that places a great emphasis on getting A*. Anyways, Geology is not offered in both universities.
have you spoke to any companies here you would consider working at to see what the graduate prospects are?

While it has got much harder to get a visa one of the supposed reasons for brexit was to level the playing field between EU and non - EU immigration. So maybe in 3 years things might be different.

As you say in your opening post there much more pros to taking a degree here than just the studying itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending