The Student Room Group

Is 30k a year a decent wage to live on (outside london)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T-Raw
Thanks I appreciate the advice.. My situation is probably different to most on here as I have a young child and my partner does not work as she has to look after him when Im at work.. I have a bad feeling my money will be supporting us all for a longtime as she has shown little interest in returning to work. If I earn 30 and she earned 15 (she is unskilled) it would be less worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you talk to her about getting a weekend or evening job that is part time?
Reply 21
Original post by T-Raw
I am currently earning 23k a year at the age of 24. As a non-grad my future still looks okay as I am working in the field I want (Information Technology) and will most likely be moving up the ranks in my current company. Thing is I have a feeling most I'll earn is 30k at a push as I dont want to moveup to a position where I step away from the tech-side as I enjoy what I do and have found the higher up you go the more you stray from it.

Looking at other tech roles it appears 30k is the general offering (top end) which makes me believe its the most Ill earn in this industry. Do you think its enough to live life on 30k a year and be reasonably comfortable? Or will I have to step-up into management to earn the big money? Again this isn't ideal as I like getting my hands dirty and not snowed down with paper work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although, I'm a GCSE student from London, I can say that earning 30k in London before tax is decent considering that the average wage is around 26k. If you're worried about moving away from the tech-side of things if moving up, I would advise speaking to someone who deals with this and see what they could possibly do.
Your doing exceptionally well to be on 24k at 24 with no degree.
Should be alright as a junior level employee within a company, but I'd look for opportunities to grow that over time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chosenone93
Your doing exceptionally well to be on 24k at 24 with no degree.

Well, not really. It depends what else you can do. I would have thought a McDonalds trainee manager would start on more than £20,000.

If you're not a graduate, that could be as much as 8 years in the workplace unqualified, or 5-6 with some sort of qualification.

Unless a person is completely lacking in ability or ambition, 5-8 years is a long time to rack up seniority in even quite mundane jobs.
Reply 25
Lmao. And how much would one need to spend money on anything at any time?
Original post by JTran38
Although, I'm a GCSE student from London, I can say that earning 30k in London before tax is decent considering that the average wage is around 26k. If you're worried about moving away from the tech-side of things if moving up, I would advise speaking to someone who deals with this and see what they could possibly do.

Don't you think it depends on loads of things? Most of all whether or not you live with parents (i.e. no housing costs) if that's the case, then £30,000 gross is a king's ransom.

A person living relatively central in family home would have tons of disposable income. A person living by themselves and having to run a car would have much much less - and these are kind of circumstantial.
Reply 27
I make that and certainly can't spend on anything I want at any time :frown:
Original post by 1010marina
30k is fantastic. A lot of people live on less than half of that. You'll live well

It's not fantastic, it's an average wage and certainly it would be tough to raise a family on it in London. I'm not saying this out of snobbery because I'm not like that, but if you pretend it's more than it is, you neglect the fact it would still require budgeting and self-sacrifice.
Reply 29
but thats what I want...
To be honest, it seems to be that it's having a family that is the real drain on finances.

If there's just you, or yourself and a partner, I'd imagine it would certainly be enough for a good standard of living.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
It's not fantastic, it's an average wage and certainly it would be tough to raise a family on it in London. I'm not saying this out of snobbery because I'm not like that, but if you pretend it's more than it is, you neglect the fact it would still require budgeting and self-sacrifice.

Self sacrifice from what?
Self sacrifice from what?

If you're living in London, you have a wife and 2 children and you're earning 30k, you're not gonna be going to Dubai twice yearly.
Original post by Reue
but thats what I want...

How much do you make and your profession?
Original post by Atlas Thugged
If you're living in London, you have a wife and 2 children and you're earning 30k, you're not gonna be going to Dubai twice yearly.

And you consider that "living comfortably" and not excessive luxury?

Go to Barcelona for a weekend it's £200 and you'll have a cracker.
And you consider that "living comfortably" and not excessive luxury?

Go to Barcelona for a weekend it's £200 and you'll have a cracker.

Since when is a trip to Dubai 'excessive luxury'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by I feel myself
How much do you make and your profession?

Not enough to buy anything at anytime :cry2:
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is if you come from a working class background.
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Twice yearly trips is luxury... Ive never known anybody go there more than once that does not have family there.

Like I said, go on holiday closer to home. You can holiday for a week in Spain for the price of the flight to Dubai.
Original post by Profesh
As the owner of my non-London, Cotswold-situated apartment, I make do more than comfortably (i.e. bespoke furniture, £400 shoes) on quite substantially less than that; but then I'm also a fiscally scrupulous bachelor, who commutes by bicycle since 2011 and hasn't felt the urge to take an overseas vacation in almost as long, so of course your mileage may vary.

Granted, if I ever look to start a family I might relent and consider plying my somewhat under-valued skillset elsewhere; but it seems to me that if you're expecting anything resembling prudent advice on matters of personal finance from a community of 17-year-old baby hedge-fund managers to whom 'home' is a Wi-Fi equipped crèche in the W8 postal district, you may be angling for disappointment.

What shoes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending