The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham/warwick uni help please

I really need some genuine advice right now. Durham is my firm and Warwick is my insurance for Biological sciences. I was 100% set on Durham until recently. I am scared that Durham will have a dull night life and be filled with posh people. I am very working class. Its so strange. In my town, its common to be approached on the street/mugged/ have bikes stolen ect. Yet I'm more scared about attending a university where I would be looked down upon by everyone.

I need to make a descion fast. I have about 2 weeks and I cannot visit the universites,and I know noone who attends them. Is durham filled with stuck up students? And is the nightlife any good?

And if anyone attends Warwick, is the nightlife there good? I know this may sound like a joke but it really isn't. I'm panicking now. I don't want to make the wrong descion and results day is so close. Please help.
Original post by nobodycarescarla
X

Yeah nightlife is pretty good here if you want to go out.neon on Tuesdays and Fridays i think, Kasbah on Monday, smack on Thursday. Although in my opinion the best thing about Leam is all the awesome quaint little pubs and bars with weekly indie nights etc. where you can just chill out. On Campus there's also Pop every Wednesday and School Days and some other crap. I don't go to any of these events but some of my friends would pretty much posts nights out every single day on Facebook so it's pretty eventful.

I imagine it'd be decent at Durham too though, it can't be that isolated surely?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Both are quite dead really.

If school discos, pubs and awful clubs are enough for you then you will be fine. It is more down to the people you meet.

Have heard very good things about the people at Durham btw.
Night life in Durham is good - you have to remember that although it's a small city, it does cater to thousands of students descending on it! In addition to loads of pubs, clubs, and bars, there are also the 16 colleges which regularly put on events and all have their own bars and activities to get involved in (you can go to bars in other colleges except on specific nights). You won't get bored I promise you. Even if you do want to have a big city for a change every now and then, Newcastle is only a 15 minute train ride away.

There is a variety of people from different backgrounds as there is at any University. I myself came from a comprehensive school in my home town, and I never felt out of place. Sure there are some posh people there (called "Rahs"), but there will be just as many people you'll be able to relate to easily. I can't recommend Durham highly enough - you'll love it there
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Yeah nightlife is pretty good here if you want to go out.neon on Tuesdays and Fridays i think, Kasbah on Monday, smack on Thursday. Although in my opinion the best thing about Leam is all the awesome quaint little pubs and bars with weekly indie nights etc. where you can just chill out. On Campus there's also Pop every Wednesday and School Days and some other crap. I don't go to any of these events but some of my friends would pretty much posts nights out every single day on Facebook so it's pretty eventful.

I imagine it'd be decent at Durham too though, it can't be that isolated surely?

Cool thankyou! Sounds like theres quite abit which is great. And I don't really know about Durham, I get the impression that Warwick is a more lively place. Do people tend to make friends in their halls or through socities/ both?

Original post by stefano865
Both are quite dead really.

If school discos, pubs and awful clubs are enough for you then you will be fine. It is more down to the people you meet.

Have heard very good things about the people at Durham btw.

School discos haha, what more could you want? Thankyou! You make a fair point, I just hope the people I meet are up for going out. In my freshers group chat a group of em made a pact about playing board games during freshers instead of going out. A little concerned.
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Cool thankyou! Sounds like theres quite abit which is great. And I don't really know about Durham, I get the impression that Warwick is a more lively place. Do people tend to make friends in their halls or through socities/ both?

For me the best thing about Warwick are societies, they're really really involved and pretty much the life of everything here. But as for making friends and going out, don't base where you go on that at all, you'll make friends everywhere. Other aspects like, we have a huge American Football/Cheerleading societies, a really big climbing society etc. things like that could be factors for you but in general you'll make friends wherever so don't sweat it at all. :smile: Stick with Durham and you won't regret it I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest