The Student Room Group

College or Sixth Form?

Attachment not found
image.jpegI am deciding which one to go to. I like the timetable of college and the fact that they have a gym and clubs, and also the independence. However, I am afraid that I will not work as hard as a result of this, or that the teaching won't be as good as sixth form, but I must take core maths and general studies at sixth form which I don't want to do (although the sixth form has consistently great results and great teachers). Also, do you feel universities would view a application with a catholic sixth form differently to one with a local college on?

I am wondering whether the social aspects of college (eg. gyms, early finishes) have helped with the stress of A levels, and also which did you personally pick and why? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I attended the school which the sixth form is at in year 7 and didn't like the snobbish and b*tchy attitude of pupils and teachers so moved; I'm hoping it will be different though. I had to elimate the other sixth form option as they changed A level sport to a BTEC, which is not what I was wanting to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Sixth form ; less distractions .
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous061299
I am deciding which one to go to. I like the timetable of college and the fact that they have a gym and clubs, and also the independence. However, I am afraid that I will not work as hard as a result of this, or that the teaching won't be as good as sixth form, but I must take core maths and general studies at sixth form which I don't want to do (although the sixth form has consistently great results and great teachers). Also, do you feel universities would view a application with a catholic sixth form differently to one with a local college on?

I am wondering whether the social aspects of college (eg. gyms, early finishes) have helped with the stress of A levels, and also which did you personally pick and why? Thanks in advance!

They honesty do not care what sixth form you go to. I went to both a Catholic sixth form and a college sixth form (only during my first year), and I would say the college was much better due to a more adult like environment and independence (which made it a bit more uni like). Whereas the catholic sixth form were too strict and kept treating us no different to the lower years. The only problem with the college I went was that I sometimes felt out of place (it was filled with quite a lot of snobbish people).

Choose the one you feel like you would fit in more, and the one which has a better environment for you personality type (e.g. if you're more of an independent person than college would probably be better for you).

Edit: the distractions will all somehow fade away the closer it gets to exam days. It all depends on how motivated you are tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Universities tend to view applications in the same light, irrespective of the institution. As you can imagine, school is largely for the qualifications you obtain at the end - if these qualifications are good, then great, but if they aren't then maybe not so great. But, the clubs and activities you participate in won't get you a place at university and have no major significance to your application (they are still significant though, just a minor secondary factor) because at university the same clubs and activities will be on offer for at least 3 years.

Maths and general studies should not be the reason you pass up a good quality institution. So having said that, I say that you would probably feel better choosing to study at a place that won't leave you worrying about how to hide away from distractions.

Yeah... Sixth form (;

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and I picked sixth form because it felt more comfortable. It's easier to make a lot of use of your teachers in a sixth form and in my opinion, it's only as stressful as you allow it to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which has the better results?
I actually go to a sixth form college, it was one of the best choices I've made in my life.

I remember I had applied to this college but I'm so glad I rejected it, the people there were underachievers and the people there just weren't nice. The people in my sixth form college are better academically so it meant I would more likely to do better in my course too. Also the people were more mature and friendlier in general. (Plus it's only 2 mins away from my house)

I'd say go somewhere you know you will do well but also take account of the environment you will feel comfortable in.
My school did not have a sixth form so I had to go to another school. I had a choice between a sixth form and a college (a catholic one). The sixth form I went to I hated because of the internals were rude and shunned externals and I preferred the teachers at my college. I love college because of the freedom I received and the help I got with university prep in my first year. I also enjoy the fact I no longer had to deal with pesky youngers or split attention. I do think though I would of found more long time friends at a sixth form but I'm fine with the little group I have. You have a lot of independence. For me I really struggled with secondary school days and end up missing whole days due to exhaustion so the fact I can start late or finish early is really important for me. Also I finished school for summer earlier then my friends but was getting higher grades too. However I do feel there is a level of not caring about students well being from staff and distance from other people. Also our grades arent the best in my area (but we are surrounded by grammar schools and private schools) There are also students who do not care but they shouldn't bother you. My biggest problem my college isn't LGBTQIA+ friendly and I'm scared to come out. I know sixth forms that are and others which are really not though.

However it depends on what you want as a person. Everyone's experience is different. If you have a chance to meet your teachers, look at the average day and ask what support is there at both institutions.

Oh and good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks everyone!
I actually wish I went to a sixth form college. I hated sixth form, way too strict. Boring and ugh... You get treated like you are 10 :colonhash:
Original post by The_JoKeR
Which has the better results?

The sixth form as the school has a good reputation and houses many strong academics, however, a smaller number of people in the college have achieved great grades just not as many as I feel as if the strong academics have a judgement about "local colleges"
Original post by loveleest
I actually wish I went to a sixth form college. I hated sixth form, way too strict. Boring and ugh... You get treated like you are 10 :colonhash:

Yeah that's what I'm worried about; I loved school it was because of how lovely the teachers were as they were great teachers but also could have a conversation and weren't stuck up, where as the sixth form teachers seem snobbish and b*tchy (I forgot to mention I attended in year 7 and didn't like it so moved schools but the other sixth form in my area changed A level sport to a btec which isn't what I want to do so it's my only "sixth form" option)
I went to sixth form and did evening courses at college.

I wish I went to college through and through. I was very unhappy in sixth form. It was at the same school I was at since year seven. Most of my friends went to college and I was stuck studying with people who thought very little of me and it effected my grades in one particular subject tremendously (drama: I had to work with these people).

Do what makes you happiest. Two years is a long time to be miserable.*
Original post by Anonymous061299
The sixth form as the school has a good reputation and houses many strong academics, however, a smaller number of people in the college have achieved great grades just not as many as I feel as if the strong academics have a judgement about "local colleges"

Then tbh from everything you've said about the schools, the sixth form is better to go to

Quick Reply

Latest