Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Lying to employers about university for Summer job

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I've just finished my first year of university and am now massively into my overdraft (-£1500 deep!) To cut a long story short, I only received £30 a week student loan, my rent was very high, I needed to pay for second year housing deposits and my parents have two children so they couldn't afford to support me and I didn't expect them to. I'm now back home for summer and I am working at a retail store, however I only got the job on the condition that I stay permanently. When they asked me why I wasn't going back to uni I said that I can't afford to but I want to carry on when I have more money, but obviously I need to go back and I really like my employers and the job and feel so awful for lying about it. Is there any way I can sort out this bad situation? I don't want to tell them now as they may sack me straight away, meaning I can't pay off my debt which I desperately need to or they may keep me on but give me a really hard time for lying. Thanks

Well you did say that you'd go back when you can afford to and they don't know what your financial situation is so give your notice when you need to and leave. An employer who gives you trouble for doing what you need to do within reason isn't worth the hassle.

there's not much you can do about it now, you'll just have to say you're really sorry but things have come together financially and you're going to be able to start uni again, sorry for letting them down but you can't pass up the opportunity... don't tell them before you give your required notice or you might get fired

to be honest it wouldn't be a crazy idea that you just found a better paying job and left for that so it shouldn't be too unreasonable to leave soon

Basically, what Doodle is saying is true.
    I know loads of people who have been in your situation, OP and it's never caused any problems. Just work hard and do as much over-time as possible (if it's available) and then once you have to give in your notice, explain your situation and everything should be cool, they should understand

I would also check your contract to see what period of notice you need to give them. If it's a month then of course you should adhere to this, however it may not be a very comfortable month if they know you have lied to them.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.