The Student Room Group

Losing sleep over the future

I'm really struggling to cope with the uncertainty of graduate life, and I'm constantly feeling anxious and stressed as a result. I graduated last month with a first class degree in business from a reputable uni. While I was there I tried to build up a well rounded CV with summer work, volunteering, a summer internship through a leadership programme and society involvement. I started to apply for jobs around April time, and have got to final interview stage with three companies in that time, however none of these have led to a job. I'm also struggling to find any work I'm even interested in so I'm applying for anything I'm qualified to do.

I've been accepted into a masters which is directly related to the career path I'm interested in. I thought that it would be good to do this whilst applying to grad schemes in September, as the constant rejection wouldn't feel quite so hard if I'm studying at the same time. However I'm worried my internship will lose its value if I don't get a job straight out of undergrad and the date in my cv becomes further and further away. I haven't worked this summer because I kidded myself that I'd be attending so many interviews over the summer I wouldn't have time to hold down a job. I'd definitely be looking for something part time to help fund my masters, but that wouldn't be directly related to my career path.

Would you study the masters, or persevere with grad job applications in the hope more comes up in September? I feel like either way my experiences and education are becoming less valuable by the day and that I've already essentially ruined my life by not securing a job pre-graduation. Any thoughts, options, advice would be very much appreciated, I think about this all day every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Have the same problem. Did a law degree at a top university and have tons of experience.

Ultimately, I don't think it's what I want to do, but I feel trapped in a way. Looking into other careers, with a 2017 start, but feel like I've wasted the last three years.

You're being quite melodramatic regarding 'essentially ruining your life' it's not a surprise that you haven't secured one, when the cycle has ended. Grad recruitment will start again in September, so just start researching now. By late 2016/early 2017, you could have a grad job, leaving you time to enjoy yourself.

You need to decide if you actually want to study the masters.

Quick Reply

Latest