The Student Room Group

Found a lump under my armpit :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
The only reason I'm not posting this anonymously is if things are fine, and someone else comes across this thread whilst vigorously googling their symptoms (as I have been for the past couple of days) then they may find some comfort in this and can contact me through TSR if I'm still on it, I will however update the thread.

Anyway, I found a lump near the top of my right breast (but not on it) and it is situated under my armpit. I am terrified and I've convinced myself it's a cancerous lump. I am going to the doctors soon but I'm terrified.

Here are all the reasons it could be cancerous:
-It's like a hard bean
-It's under the skin and can't be seen, only felt.
-It's not painful.

Here are reasons it most likely is not cancerous:
-I'm 18 so the chances are low, but that doesn't stop me worrying.
-It is smooth under the skin and moveable and doesn't feel attached to anything.
-It's pretty high up, it sort of misses my right breast so perhaps that means something.
-It hasn't changed in size.
-I have no other symptoms linked to breast cancer
-I don't have a family history.

Does anyone have experience of having this sort of thing and getting it checked out and being completely cleared of cancer by the doc?

I'm scared :frown: but on the plus side, I urge everyone to "check their breasts" (even guys) incase there is anything suspicious lurking in the area.

Hi, I don't have any personal experience with this myself but I want to assure you that in all likelihood, it is not cancerous and you are doing the right thing by going to the Dr. I really, really hope you are ok. My aunt has regularly got cysts in her breasts since adolescence. They sound very much like your description of your 'lump': a small hard lump under the skin. They are completely benign and she visits the doctor to get them drained. Cysts of this kind are far more common than breast cancer, so I'm sure you've nothing to worry about. Sending hugs :grouphugs:
Original post by Jenx301
I had a little lump in my armpit so I spent ages squeezing it and eventually a load of puss and gunk came out..... gross I know lol but still... all you can do is see your GP it's best to be safe

I keep squeezing it and nothing comes out at all :-(

My appointment i next monday :frown: one more week of worry...
It is probably some kind of cyst or possibly an ingrown hair as armpits are meant to be hairy lol and so when people shave them there are still hair follicles there.
Had something similar in a certain area :redface: no matter what i did to it it wouldn't burst so I stuck a needle in it and it was like a volcano erupted with loads of puss and blood (not that i would recommend that at all :redface:) but it just proves that seemingly hard masses that wont pop can actually just be infection.
Would still get it checked out though although as others have said hopefully you are too young for that sort of thing.
Best of luck anyway :hugs: x
Reply 23
I've had the same thing a few times, and it has always turned out to be a swollen lymph node. Better be safe than sorry, though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lumps in armpits are usually formed when your body is fighting an infection.

Not too sure about this one though since its not exactly in your armpit. Anyways, most likely its nothing too serious to worry about.
How do you identity a lump?
Original post by Anonymous

Yeah can someone please provide some Information on how to check. I always get the reminder to check your breasts but idk what is normal and what isn't???
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Yeah can someone please provide some Information on how to check. I always get the reminder to check your breasts but idk what is normal and what isn't???

You should feel around the area often, definitely feel under your armpits. There is more information online on how to perform breast checks.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
The only reason I'm not posting this anonymously is if things are fine, and someone else comes across this thread whilst vigorously googling their symptoms (as I have been for the past couple of days) then they may find some comfort in this and can contact me through TSR if I'm still on it, I will however update the thread.

Anyway, I found a lump near the top of my right breast (but not on it) and it is situated under my armpit. I am terrified and I've convinced myself it's a cancerous lump. I am going to the doctors soon but I'm terrified.

Here are all the reasons it could be cancerous:
-It's like a hard bean
-It's under the skin and can't be seen, only felt.
-It's not painful.

Here are reasons it most likely is not cancerous:
-I'm 18 so the chances are low, but that doesn't stop me worrying.
-It is smooth under the skin and moveable and doesn't feel attached to anything.
-It's pretty high up, it sort of misses my right breast so perhaps that means something.
-It hasn't changed in size.
-I have no other symptoms linked to breast cancer
-I don't have a family history.

Does anyone have experience of having this sort of thing and getting it checked out and being completely cleared of cancer by the doc?

I'm scared :frown: but on the plus side, I urge everyone to "check their breasts" (even guys) incase there is anything suspicious lurking in the area.

Here is why you should relax:

1) We all google symptoms of stuff and immediately think we have something terrible

2) I had a lump on my ball when i was like 14, i was anxious for days and then it dissapeared. I also had lumps on my male titties (Under the aurora borialis) - Turns out its an extremely common thing that like most male teens get through estrogen during puberty. The lump in my nipple was hard as a bean, under the skin and painless

3) You can do nothing other than book your appointment asap. The amount of thought and worry you give it will not change whatever it is.

Its far more likely its something other than cancer. Fingers crossed for you
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest