The Student Room Group

Found a lump under my armpit :-(

The only reason I'm not posting this anonymously is if things are fine, and someone else comes across this thread whilst vigorously googling their symptoms (as I have been for the past couple of days) then they may find some comfort in this and can contact me through TSR if I'm still on it, I will however update the thread.

Anyway, I found a lump near the top of my right breast (but not on it) and it is situated under my armpit. I am terrified and I've convinced myself it's a cancerous lump. I am going to the doctors soon but I'm terrified.

Here are all the reasons it could be cancerous:
-It's like a hard bean
-It's under the skin and can't be seen, only felt.
-It's not painful.

Here are reasons it most likely is not cancerous:
-I'm 18 so the chances are low, but that doesn't stop me worrying.
-It is smooth under the skin and moveable and doesn't feel attached to anything.
-It's pretty high up, it sort of misses my right breast so perhaps that means something.
-It hasn't changed in size.
-I have no other symptoms linked to breast cancer
-I don't have a family history.

Does anyone have experience of having this sort of thing and getting it checked out and being completely cleared of cancer by the doc?

I'm scared :frown: but on the plus side, I urge everyone to "check their breasts" (even guys) incase there is anything suspicious lurking in the area.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
The only reason I'm not posting this anonymously is if things are fine, and someone else comes across this thread whilst vigorously googling their symptoms (as I have been for the past couple of days) then they may find some comfort in this and can contact me through TSR if I'm still on it, I will however update the thread.

Anyway, I found a lump near the top of my right breast (but not on it) and it is situated under my armpit. I am terrified and I've convinced myself it's a cancerous lump. I am going to the doctors soon but I'm terrified.

-It's like a hard bean
-It's not painful.

-It is smooth under the skin and moveable and doesn't feel attached to anything.
-It's pretty high up, it sort of misses my right breast so perhaps that means something.

Does anyone have experience of having this sort of thing and getting it checked out and being completely cleared of cancer by the doc?

I'm scared :frown: but on the plus side, I urge everyone to "check their breasts" (even guys) incase there is anything suspicious lurking in the area.

TheonlyMrsHolmes, it's highly unlikely to be cancer at your young age but in saying that one can never be too sure. From the information you've provided above it sounds more like a cyst or a fibroadenoma than a malignant tumor. In saying that, I'm not a qualified medical professional, just a chemistry student so I could be wrong. It's good that you are seeing your doctor about this. Maybe this page will help:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Breast-lump/Pages/Introduction.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
This is qhat happens when its either that time of the month, or its around that time of the month. I wouldn't worry too much, this is what happens, but if it grows at all I would get it checked out

-It's like a hard bean
-It's not painful.

Is it like a ball? Like can you grab onto it? Because I had something like that a few years ago and the moment I was going to see someone about it, it disappeared! I would say it definitely isn't a tumor or anything like that, but worth getting checked as I am not a doctor!
definitely get it checked out as soon as possible, although it is almost certain to be harmless.
I have read that page so many times I could recite it backwards whilst doing a handstand :-( damn my health anxiety! But thank you, I know the chances are unlikely but as you said, one can never be too sure.

Is it still there? and when you touched it was the top (the surface of your skin) a little smooth, for me it is only solid when I dig in with my finger and thumb. Did the doctor offer any further tests?
Original post by PugDevil
Is it like a ball? Like can you grab onto it? Because I had something like that a few years ago and the moment I was going to see someone about it, it disappeared! I would say it definitely isn't a tumor or anything like that, but worth getting checked as I am not a doctor!

Yes and yes.

And hearing that yours disappeared is relieving to hear. :smile:
Reply 8
Most likely a swollen lymph node or cyst. I've had a few in the armpit area pop up and then go back down a few days later. It's most likely nothing serious but worth getting it checked out.

I found a moveable pea sized lump in my neck two years ago and freaked out and thought the worst and it turned out to just be a lymph node that hadn't went fully back down from my ear infection a few months before hand. It's still here to this day and the same size.

I know it's hard to not worry when you find a lump but make an appt for as soon as you can and in the mean time, stay off Google! Google is not your friend when it comes to health matters, believe me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have read that page so many times I could recite it backwards whilst doing a handstand :-( damn my health anxiety! But thank you, I know the chances are unlikely but as you said, one can never be too sure.

Is it still there? and when you touched it was the top (the surface of your skin) a little smooth, for me it is only solid when I dig in with my finger and thumb. Did the doctor offer any further tests?

You have no family history of cancer, I presume you don't engage in activities that would promote cancer (drinking, smoking etc)?

It sounds a lot like a fibroadenoma as they are most likely to occur in younger women.

Cancer tumours aren't usually able to moved around so it sounds like it isn't a tumour :smile:

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you
(edited 7 years ago)

Thank you. I haven't really had a major infection or anything so I sort of ruled out it being a lympnode.
Sounds very similar to what I had.

Had it checked out at the doctor, simple swelling from a skin infection easily cured in 2 weeks by a course of antibiotics.

These things can have all sorts of causes so the chance of it being anything malicious are very low :cute:
Not of breast cancer, but my grandma did have a type of blood cancer in the very late stages of her life, other than that I can't pin point anyone in my family having any type of cancer really. Nope, I don't drink or smoke.

I hope that is it, that is what I've been thinking it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Probably the bubonic plague.
Reply 14

-It's like a hard bean
-It's not painful.

Poor you I hate scares like this. I've had a couple, either myself or someone close to me, and it's always been fine but you do worry a bit.

Do you have any other weird symptoms? Usually it isn't just a lump which is suggestive of cancer, often there are other symptoms which you may have dismissed or simply not thought of as being related.

The other question I have is - is it on the part of your armpit that you shave? If so it could be a cyst. This has happened to me before, and I thought the same as you, but it turned out to be fine.
Not of breast cancer, but my grandma did have a type of blood cancer the very late stages of her life, other than that I can't pin point anyone in my family having any type of cancer really. Nope, I don't drink or smoke.

I hope that is it, that is what I've been thinking it is.

Cancer is pretty common in old people, it's just part of what happens when the biological mechanisms warding off cancer decrease in effectiveness as you get older. I wouldn't worry about it, like I said above, tumors can't be moved around like your lump can so I doubt it's cancer.
I have had a massive lump under my armpit like 3 times. One time is so so bad so I had to go to the doctors to remove it, they just said it was a boil and that is what yours sound like, although I am not particularly sure.
It's an armpit tiddy.
Sounds to me like a swollen lymph node. This happened to me years ago after I had a vaccine, although for me it was painful. I am aware that lymph nodes and breast cancer are in some manner connected (my mother had a lymph node removed from one of her armpits when she had breast cancer) so I would certainly advise that you don't just ignore it. In the event that it is something bad, you'll want to catch it sooner rather than later.
I had a little lump in my armpit so I spent ages squeezing it and eventually a load of puss and gunk came out..... gross I know lol but still... all you can do is see your GP it's best to be safe

Quick Reply

Latest