The Student Room Group

I keep failing mock tests with 1 or 2 major faults, no minors. Need advice

Ive had several mock tests, but in my recent three tests i failed because of just major faults. Some of them include: i didnt recognise the mini roundabout soon enough and had to break abruptly(there was lots of trees and bushes). I was approaching a crossroad and i meant to turn right, but I signalled just before a side road. To overcome these errors, i figured I should a) always read the road signs b) look ahead c) calm down and not lose concentration.

I also feel like I don't know the hierarchy of errors. For example I think not looking in my mirrors before and after overtaking parked car is just as important as constantly reading signs.

Any advice? Anyone been through something similar?
I did the same thing on my first test attempt. Completely failed to see a lady waiting at a pedestrian crossing and my examiner had to slam on the breaks.
Remember you have to look all around you when driving to ensure the examiner that you are aware of everything. I found talking out loud/describing what I was seeing helped. For example, I'd go "so we're approaching a mini roundabout, I'll check my mirrors and put my signal on to turn now". After my second (successful!) attempt the examiner said it really helped him to give me a pass!
Reply 2
Original post by Hamo2509
I did the same thing on my first test attempt. Completely failed to see a lady waiting at a pedestrian crossing and my examiner had to slam on the breaks.
Remember you have to look all around you when driving to ensure the examiner that you are aware of everything. I found talking out loud/describing what I was seeing helped. For example, I'd go "so we're approaching a mini roundabout, I'll check my mirrors and put my signal on to turn now". After my second (successful!) attempt the examiner said it really helped him to give me a pass!

I talk to myself when i approach junctions, ill say MSPSL out loud, mirrors signal position speed, looking.

On my next lesson, i'll make say out loud the road signs on every time i enter a new road.
I had 8 mock tests and failed every single one of them!
Passed my actual test first time with 6 minors.
Instructors are generally more strict in their marking than examiners, so I wouldn't be too concerned but it at the moment.

The errors you mentioned shouldn't really be major tbh. It's just the driving test is strict!
But just keep an eye out for side roads and just make sure to stay alert at all times. Do that and you'll be fine!
Good Luck for your test!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending