The Student Room Group

Ukcat help!!!!!!

Hi everyone just want to thank you in advance,

ive got my ukcat exam on the 18th of august , and i am really struggling on the comprehension part of verbal reasoning, i find it difficult to read the passage in the time given whilst understanding the text, however i find the true, false, cant tell relatively easy.

has anyone got any advice when tackling the comprehension section of verbal reasoning
My advice would be to scan the 4 (or 5) possible statements and pick out any key words. The essential key phrases that you'd be looking for include names, places, dates, or anything beginning with a capital letter. These are in general much easier to then identify in the main body of text than 'normal' text or phrases.

Obviously you're up against a time limit, so another piece of maybe obvious (but vital) advice would be to practise, practise, practise questions until you form a technique that works for you.

And remember, especially with science or historical based articles, don't let your prior knowledge affect your final decision! This was the most difficult section for me (comprehension, not so much true/false/can't tell like yourself), it is for many, so it is understandable that you have your concerns!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by halil-yorgandji
Hi everyone just want to thank you in advance,

ive got my ukcat exam on the 18th of august , and i am really struggling on the comprehension part of verbal reasoning, i find it difficult to read the passage in the time given whilst understanding the text, however i find the true, false, cant tell relatively easy.

has anyone got any advice when tackling the comprehension section of verbal reasoning

Hi halil-yorgandji

I just replied to a different post of yours but then saw this one and thought I may be able to offer some advice.

I wondered how much prep you are doing? Ideally you need to be doing a few hours per day in the weeks leading up to your UKCAT. It really is a case of practise, practise, practise! The other thing that you could consider is a course to help by teaching you time saving strategies and techniques. If this is what you are struggling with, you would really benefit from something like this.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest