Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why do we assume only the East, or alternatively, the Americans are propagandized?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

In the UK for example, people will just say 'Fox' or 'RT', as though it is a default confirmation of propaganda or an agenda. I'm not saying they can't have one, but it's the relative self-satisfaction about here that irritates. Is there really any objective, rational reason why those countries would be subject to it and not us? Do we really believe we are so much more biting in our critical thinking skills, or do we simply see it as less likely here, questioning the source less because it falls in line with our more 'enlightened', benign social liberal beliefs, whereas Russia and the US contain beliefs more offensive to the gentile Western European? It does go on in a similar way on the cultural left, or more accurately the neoliberals, where the source is the arbiter of all morality. 'The Daily Mail' quoter vs 'The Guardian' quoter immediately has a default, moral high ground status. Before you pillory me, I'm no great fan of the DM, but it might be worth noting how much the likes of the Guardian supported bloodthirsty wars in the ME when the Mail did not, and how the Mail was notably concerned about the David Kelly affair and went after New Labour on it. just some examples of how tribalism and virtue signalling is a feature of this phenomenon that blinds people, seemingly, to more objective analysis of fact.

Which moral truths do you think people are blind to?

Fox isn't mainstream news in the US, to be fair. It is further to the right as an alternative to other media, but most news outlets are left-leaning even here. Read the New York Times or the Huffington Post. Listen to CNN or NBC.

Here's a breakdown of this issue I read once...

All media of course has an agenda. One just has to take that into account. Some media is also more reputable than others. See framing.

Also consider that press such as RT are state owned and in states which do not have the liberties we do- such as a free press and where political opponents are murdered.

I'm not necessarily saying to ignore these outlets, but consider why they take the viewpoints they do- eg why would Russia highlight why it would be inadvisable for he west to remove Assaad.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.