Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving to boarding school.

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm moving to a private boarding school in September. I'm so nervous because it seems like days are going really fast. It is going to be a whole new experience for me I've been attending an all girls academy from year 7-9 now I'm moving to a Mixed school. I don't know many boys and I don't know how to act around them. My sister and I are going to be one of 5-10 black students in the entire school and I just need advice. Anyone who thinks that they can help, please do.
    I'm really freaking out!!!

I can't exactly relate but as a black student who has moved school from country to country not knowing anyone else but my sister- here's my advice-Try to relax by finding out as much as you can about the school-You'll be fine! Keep that in mind.- Try to make as many friends as possible initially. Be super nice to everyone- I always found the people who I show me around and are my 'first friends' don't really stay for long as they get to know me. That's fine! Whoever is meant to be in your life will come and stay.- Bring things to do just in case you find yourself in a situation where your alone. I always brought a book and a sketch pad around but it depends on your preference- I highly doubt you'll be the new kid all alone in the corner lol. It just doesn't really happen. - Boys are people too. You won't need to 'act' around them- Nothing I can advise but just wait for it lol. - My highschool had very few black girls in my year and it seemed there were less and less until I got to sixthform and I was the only black girl in my year. My advice is to show everyone your true character- I know you're not supposed to live your life proving stuff to other people but just show that you aren't the stereotypical loud rude sassy ghetto black girl most people expect from our skin (unless you really are lol). Over time when people realised I was just a person like everyone else lmao I felt more "allowed" to reveal the sides of me that were more 'typically black'. I had friends of all colours and still do- as you get to know people race is not that big of an obstacle (unless your school is really segregated or racist lol)- Also don't be afraid to hang with your sister and/or stick up for her if need be. Other than that, just keep positive and optimistic. I am sure you'll be fine. Find things to keep you excited ( I love stationary shopping lol) and PM me if you need more reassurance. You will be fine. GOOD LUCK for September
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.