The Student Room Group

Anyone else disgustingly ambitious?

Scroll to see replies

So life is either a case of partying or being a workaholic? How depressing that you should think there's nothing else to obtain from life.

I see what you mean, but what's being discussed here is different. If people were exclaiming their absolute love and devotion to a field then I wouldnt think that way. If OP exclaimed how he's found his passion, his calling, then that would be different. To do what you loveday in day out is an absolute blessing. But being a workaholic out of pure ambition, of wanting to achieve just for the sake of success and money no matter the personal sacrifice is different. It's empty to me. I don't think Newton would have identified himself as a workaholic, he had an absolute passion for what he did yes, we are all sure of it. But the fact that his work was his day job was by the by. He would have done what he did regardless of whether it was his job or not if he could have. It wasn't just work to him, it was undoubtedly his play as well.Do you consider Shakespeare a workaholic? Do you consider a footballer a workaholic?

Also, if someone gave me the option of being "remembered" after I'm dead, or living a happy and fulfilled life and dying an average individual, I'd choose the latter. I don't think Newton would have given a toss about achieving for the sake of being remembered either.
who gives a ****. there is significant corruption abuse etc in the world to render everything meaningless.
****ing ****
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I used to be, I used to have this roaring fire in my belly and when someone said I couldn't do something I would go to the ends of the earth and beyond to prove that I could.

That started going away when I developed depression and now I'm just a little numb and lost. Focusing on everyday as it comes at the moment.

I don't remember ever seeing you up this early in the morning? :eyeball: (just unexpected)
(probs because I tend to make a habit out of staying up to silly times/it's a matter of habit, and I project the habit part)

What has caused this depression? (I'll try help if you want, even though I have no experience.)

Original post by Supersaps
On your deathbed your regrets won't be "Oh, I wish I'd spent that extra day in the office."

The problem with monetary ambition is it's ultimate fruitless.

Money can finance things.

For example, entire political campaigns...
sounds good bro
When I have a bowling alley in my house. Anyone who knows me will know I'm not joking. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Don't forget even Newton will be forgotten when the sun gobbles the earth up in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by M3ds
Don't forget even Newton will be forgotten when the sun gobbles the earth up in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He will have been forgotten long, long, long (...) before that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Given that this has been posted in the Investment Banking and Consulting forum, I don't think anybody here is intending to become the next Newton or Leibniz, they're looking to get loaded.
Original post by Hamo2509
A lot of my friends and family get a little glassy-eyed when I talk about my future plans.
I kind of want to conquer the world and I don't see why I shouldn't try my hand at anything I fancy. Virtually everyone in my family is a workaholic and I'm no different. In my view, life is too short to not grab by the balls.

I just want to stand back one day and know I've "made it". So I was wondering, at what point will everyone else consider retiring? Where does your ambition cut off?

I am the opposite. Everyone says I am disgustingly unambitious. No, really. My feminist friends are genuinely offended by my lack of career aspirations. All I want is to be a housewife and children but apparently this now equates to failure, making me a disgrace to my gender.
That's true. I had this conversation with my aunt and uncle when the former was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I was told 'money doesn't matter'.
However, they do have the money to pay for the very best private healthcare, so I guess it does in the end.

I'm sorry about your Aunt's MS diagnosis, it's good that they're able to access good healthcare.

It's a complicated one this, because there's a few ways to look at it. In your Aunt's case, there's no doubt that money is very useful for private medical care and for many people money can often be the difference between life or death (i.e. people who raise money for life saving treatment that the NHS don't offer).

On the other hand, when it comes to end of life care, I've looked after people, wealthy and poor and in my experience, those with money towards the end of their life had it worse. They had to sell their property to pay for their care, yet those who don't have a penny and no property are provided with free state care. I worked in a place where some patients were paying private fees and some were getting free care and a state pension.They all had the same level of care - so it wasn't as though the private patients were better off. It was actually quite frustrating knowing that some of those people had worked themselves to the bone for years, hoping for their children to have a good inheritance, but ultimately had to sell everything. Yet there were others who possibly didn't work so hard throughout their lives who didn't have to pay anything for their care.

Obviously the state has a duty to provide for those who can't afford it especially when they've had a stroke or have late stage dementia etc and simply cannot look after themselves. But it does make you question whether it's even sensible to work all your life to afford a modest house and savings....because you're very likely to be using it all to pay for your own care in your old age when really, you could rent and have minimal savings and get free care in old age. In other words, you may as well enjoy whatever your earn whilst you're young enough rather than squirreling it away - because you'll never get to enjoy it whilst it's sat in an ISA or property, and who knows, any of us could get him by a bus tomorrow. I know one patient I cared for who refused to sell off their children's inheritance and instead rented their old property to pay for their own care and I just find it shocking that a 96 year old has to rent out their property in order to pay monthly care fees whilst sitting next to another elderly person with no savings or property who receives free care. It's definitely not an equal society. You'd think by 96 you'd be able to relax, but no.

So yes, money is great for private medical care, but from what I've seen it's not so great in very old age. Bit of a catch 22 really.
(edited 7 years ago)
A word from the wise.

My uncle is the global head of ABS investments at HSBC managing around 35bn assets. He's lovely but rather isolated, doesn't have a family. He's dedicated his life to work. And that's what he's got to show for it.

At the end of the day, it won't keep you warm at night.

SS
I'm not ambitious myself, but I love hiring people who are.
Ambitious people will vote for TRUMP-PENCE 2016!! If you're an American like me, vote DONALD J TRUMP for President!
Reply 33
Original post by Supersaps
A word from the wise.

My uncle is the global head of ABS investments at HSBC managing around 35bn assets. He's lovely but rather isolated, doesn't have a family. He's dedicated his life to work. And that's what he's got to show for it.

At the end of the day, it won't keep you warm at night.

SS

I think it's a fallacy to think that all hard-working people have no time to build personal relationships and are lonely. There are people who also work their arse off for no money at all and end up in the same position.
Reply 34
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I used to be, I used to have this roaring fire in my belly and when someone said I couldn't do something I would go to the ends of the earth and beyond to prove that I could.

That started going away when I developed depression and now I'm just a little numb and lost. Focusing on everyday as it comes at the moment.

I really hope you gain the help that you need. Taking things a day at a time is a good coping strategy. All the best.
I think it's a fallacy to think that all hard-working people have no time to build personal relationships and are lonely. There are people who also work their arse off for no money at all and end up in the same position.

Except I don't think that, obviously?

I think it's all about balance. Many people put their career ahead of long term relationships. I think this is a mistake in terms of life satisfaction.

SS
Even if you are, I think an important aspect of maturity is being able to find common ground with everyone rather than running on about what you might do in the future unless they actually want to hear about it.
Original post by Princepieman
It's never disgusting to be ambitious, embrace it

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does one become ambitious and delude his/her self into believing their ambitious goal to be possible?
(edited 7 years ago)
A lot of my friends and family get a little glassy-eyed when I talk about my future plans.
I kind of want to conquer the world and I don't see why I shouldn't try my hand at anything I fancy. Virtually everyone in my family is a workaholic and I'm no different. In my view, life is too short to not grab by the balls.

I just want to stand back one day and know I've "made it". So I was wondering, at what point will everyone else consider retiring? Where does your ambition cut off?

Im disgustingly unambitious.
Original post by Galaxie501
Im disgustingly unambitious.

I think I am too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending